View Poll Results: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    133 56.36%
  • No

    103 43.64%
Page 100 of 107 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1064

Thread: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

  1. #991
    User shuku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregoon
    Last Seen
    11-20-07 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    87

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    opinions:
    Should under God have been put in the pledge? No
    Should it be removed? Yes
    Does it affect me? No
    Does it affect other people? Yes
    Do enough people care so that it is a social problem? Yes
    Is it protected by free speech? No
    Is it allowed by seperation of church and state? No

    I could care less if we replaced "Under God" with "Under Spaghetti Monster" or "Under Cthulhu". At least one would make the Pastafarians would be happy. If that was inserted during the cold war, I doubt you would let it be. Do you want to be held down by the noodly appendages? I don't want to be held down by a god. However, both are equal in the eyes of the government because they're both religions. Get it? When government, Cthulhu == God. The constitution did not say which is right, and it is irrelavent when you're talking about which the government can include. We're talking about ideas that cannot be proven or disproven and that are accepted on faith alone.
    My view on the freedom of speech is that I don't care if people are offended by anything said. There's no amendment that makes people secure in their personal paradigm from outside opinions.
    However, I believe that church and state should be very seperate. The only problem is that religion is so self-absorbed in it's struggle for survival that it forgoes it's intended purposes. It's a social institution turned into a living organism. I may be biased to dislike religion, but I'm also biased to disliking the government. Even if it pains us to be so meticulous in seperating that which is religions from the government, it will make things easier in the future when it comes to making decisions on religion and preventing America from theocrasizing. Because, face it, if the government chose to adopt an official religion, there's a 90% chance it wouldn't be yours.
    Looking for a paradigm shift?

  2. #992
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Seen
    04-06-07 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    158

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    I challenge anyone to show me where one of the founder's indicated his approval of anything like Congress using its legislative authority to recommend to the American people a particular religious duty like the duty to make a daily affirmation of belief in one God that is over our nation.

    In the 1860's Congress assumed the authority to declare what we all believe about God. Then in the 1950's it assumed the authority to actually tell us what our duty to God is and how to discharge that duty.

    The pledge of allegiance law involves a legislative decision in a religious controversy on a point which good citizens may honestly differ in opinion, without disturbing the peace of society or endangering its liberties. It is not the legitimate providence of the Legislature to determine what is and what is not a duty which we owe to our Creator.

    Who cannot see that Congress has established the principle that the Legislature is a proper tribunal to determine what are the duties we owe to our God and that we are headed in the direction of religious persecution.

    FVF
    Last edited by FredFlash; 04-19-06 at 11:25 AM.

  3. #993
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by FredFlash
    Was that before or after he imposed the Ten Commandments?
    After. The Jews got the 10C's, then proceeded to kill every man, woman, and child in Jericho. Thus, Isreal has no historic claim to the land they're squatting on now.

  4. #994
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,736

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by FredFlash
    What noble principle of religious liberty did you apply to arrive at that conclusion? Please show me where Congress, during the the first half century of our Republic, ever assumed legislative authority over the people's religion.

    Fred
    I don't understand the question.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  5. #995
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,736

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by shuku
    opinions:
    Should under God have been put in the pledge? No
    Should it be removed? Yes
    Does it affect me? No
    Does it affect other people? Yes
    Do enough people care so that it is a social problem? Yes
    Is it protected by free speech? No
    Is it allowed by seperation of church and state? No

    I could care less if we replaced "Under God" with "Under Spaghetti Monster" or "Under Cthulhu". At least one would make the Pastafarians would be happy. If that was inserted during the cold war, I doubt you would let it be. Do you want to be held down by the noodly appendages? I don't want to be held down by a god. However, both are equal in the eyes of the government because they're both religions. Get it? When government, Cthulhu == God. The constitution did not say which is right, and it is irrelavent when you're talking about which the government can include. We're talking about ideas that cannot be proven or disproven and that are accepted on faith alone.
    My view on the freedom of speech is that I don't care if people are offended by anything said. There's no amendment that makes people secure in their personal paradigm from outside opinions.
    However, I believe that church and state should be very seperate. The only problem is that religion is so self-absorbed in it's struggle for survival that it forgoes it's intended purposes. It's a social institution turned into a living organism. I may be biased to dislike religion, but I'm also biased to disliking the government. Even if it pains us to be so meticulous in seperating that which is religions from the government, it will make things easier in the future when it comes to making decisions on religion and preventing America from theocrasizing. Because, face it, if the government chose to adopt an official religion, there's a 90% chance it wouldn't be yours.
    I believe in strict separation of church and state, but it's not required by the Constitution. I don't call something Unconstitutional just because I disagree with it.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  6. #996
    User shuku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregoon
    Last Seen
    11-20-07 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    87

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg
    I believe in strict separation of church and state, but it's not required by the Constitution. I don't call something Unconstitutional just because I disagree with it.
    What? Are you saying that I called something unconstitutional? My only reference thereof is to the constitution not claiming which religion is more valid.
    Addressing your other point, I believe that we're all on terms that the establishment clause of the constitution "congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" is the constitutional source of seperation of church and state.
    Looking for a paradigm shift?

  7. #997
    Professor
    George_Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States of America and proud of it!
    Last Seen
    08-16-06 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    And those that felt that forcing a stupid poem down the throats of a free people would be as stupid as those that actually doing it today.

    Needless to say, though, enough states thought the First Amendment prohibition against the federal government putting stupid religious words in stupid flag selling poems was a good idea that the Amendment was ratified back then.

    Well, actually a lot of states were very slow at adopting the Constitution. Some of the most liberal states nowadays were also some of the slowest back then to declare a separation of Church and State. Massachusetts, for example, continued to have a state supported Church until roughly the 1830's or 1840's, I forget the exact date that they finally stopped taking out tax dolalrs for it. Massachusetts is actually traditionally a very religious state, it's only until fairly recenty that they've become so liberal.

    I just don't see any real extreme danger in putting religious symbols in our government like you and some other people do. I look on it as more a cultural and historical thing and less of an actual religious endorsement. I think that's how a lot of people in other countries view it, too.

  8. #998
    Educator Columbusite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Last Seen
    01-04-07 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    808

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    Well, actually a lot of states were very slow at adopting the Constitution. Some of the most liberal states nowadays were also some of the slowest back then to declare a separation of Church and State. Massachusetts, for example, continued to have a state supported Church until roughly the 1830's or 1840's, I forget the exact date that they finally stopped taking out tax dolalrs for it. Massachusetts is actually traditionally a very religious state, it's only until fairly recenty that they've become so liberal.

    I just don't see any real extreme danger in putting religious symbols in our government like you and some other people do. I look on it as more a cultural and historical thing and less of an actual religious endorsement. I think that's how a lot of people in other countries view it, too.
    It's very simple really, do you prefer religion in government or no religion in government? I say aside from no good reson for government sponsored religion of any kind, allowing a little bit opens the door for more religion in government and current events prove that.
    "To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead."
    - Thomas Paine


    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
    - Thomas Jefferson


    "Ours is the first government made by the people and for the people. It is the only nation with which the gods have had nothing to do."
    - Robert G. Ingersoll

  9. #999
    Professor
    George_Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States of America and proud of it!
    Last Seen
    08-16-06 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbusite
    It's very simple really, do you prefer religion in government or no religion in government? I say aside from no good reson for government sponsored religion of any kind, allowing a little bit opens the door for more religion in government and current events prove that.
    Why is this so hard to understand? Why can't we have religion symbols and artifacts as simply religious and cultural things? Why does it have to be like some, "inquisition" thing of doom?

  10. #1000
    Educator Columbusite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Last Seen
    01-04-07 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    808

    Re: Do you believe that the phrase "Under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    Why is this so hard to understand? Why can't we have religion symbols and artifacts as simply religious and cultural things? Why does it have to be like some, "inquisition" thing of doom?
    You can have those, I never said you couldn't. Government is the sole exception for what should be obvious reasons if you pay attention to what's going on in this country. Places of worship are free to display religious symbols and so can businesses, individuals, cars, etc. Hardly an "inquisition" which you trivially and laughably compare this to. Gee, someone can wear a huge cross, cover their car in Jesus fish, freely attend church every day they can, and have a Christian run bussiness, but oh no! The government might take the words "under God" out of the pledge! With that kind of persecution it's no wonder Christians are the Jews of the 21st century.
    "To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead."
    - Thomas Paine


    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
    - Thomas Jefferson


    "Ours is the first government made by the people and for the people. It is the only nation with which the gods have had nothing to do."
    - Robert G. Ingersoll

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •