View Poll Results: I personally feel transgender individuals are...

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mentally disturbed.

    39 39.00%
  • Slightly irregular.

    15 15.00%
  • Perfectly normal.

    21 21.00%
  • Progressive.

    1 1.00%
  • Self-Actualized.

    12 12.00%
  • Other (specify).

    12 12.00%
Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 538

Thread: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

  1. #361
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post

    Brain does not equal mind.
    I absolutely positively disagree.

  2. #362
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    I absolutely positively disagree.
    Why do you say that?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #363
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Why do you say that?
    I don't believe there's a difference between the brain and the mind. They are one in the same. This is why it isn't all that uncommon for someone to recover from an extensive brain injury and have a whole new personality. Without a brain you wouldn't think, couldn't think, the brain is the mind. That's why when you think the thoughts are in your head!

    To say the brain is not the mind is as ridiculous as saying mental dysphoria can be fixed by slashing up the genitals.

  4. #364
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    I don't believe there's a difference between the brain and the mind. They are one in the same. This is why it isn't all that uncommon for someone to recover from an extensive brain injury and have a whole new personality. Without a brain you wouldn't think, couldn't think, the brain is the mind. That's why when you think the thoughts are in your head!
    No, this just proves that the brain is PART of the mind.

    To say the brain is not the mind is as ridiculous as saying mental dysphoria can be fixed by slashing up the genitals.
    Then you misunderstand. "Brain doesn't equal mind" doesn't mean "brain isn't mind."

    The mind consists of the brain and other things as well. Such as the peripheral nervous system, and in some cases hormonal information via the hypothalamus. These are also part of the mind.
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 10-22-08 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #365
    Professor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    11-26-08 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,439

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    I don't believe there's a difference between the brain and the mind. They are one in the same.
    This totally explains why you don't understand this issue.

    You must have a brain to have a mind, but you can't have a mind without a brain, thus they are not one in the same.

  6. #366
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    No, this just proves that the brain is PART of the mind.



    Then you misunderstand. "Brain doesn't equal mind" doesn't mean "brain isn't mind."

    The mind consists of the brain and other things as well. Such as the peripheral nervous system, and in some cases hormonal information via the hypothalamus. These are also part of the mind.
    To substantiate my post, I refer you to specific examples of why the brain does not equal the mind:

    Teenagers and hormones. Clearly hormones in adolescence is a huge contributing factor to their behavior as well as how they think. Therefore the hormones are part of the "mind."

    To refer back to an earlier example, Phantom Limb: The reason why they still feel their limbs is because of the residual "memory" stored in the peripheral nervous system. More formally known as Muscle Memory.

    The reason why the pain and itchiness goes away after a prosthetic is introduced is because of the newly developed muscle memory, therefore (in a sense) the "mind" was recreated.

    Brain is not the mind. But the mind includes the brain.
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 10-22-08 at 10:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    No, this just proves that the brain is PART of the mind.



    Then you misunderstand. "Brain doesn't equal mind" doesn't mean "brain isn't mind."

    The mind consists of the brain and other things as well. Such as the peripheral nervous system, and in some cases hormonal information via the hypothalamus. These are also part of the mind.
    The hypothalamus is part of your brain. There is no evidence that there is a mind that is separate from the brain.

    Arguing that the mind is not the brain is akin to arguing about a "soul" it's an interesting discussion but there's nothing scientific to back it up and a preponderance of evidence to counter against.

  8. #368
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    The hypothalamus is part of your brain. There is no evidence that there is a mind that is separate from the brain.

    Arguing that the mind is not the brain is akin to arguing about a "soul" it's an interesting discussion but there's nothing scientific to back it up and a preponderance of evidence to counter against.
    The hypothalamus also engages in communication with other organs that secretes hormones. Where does the mind begin then?

    Also, I'll wait until you addressed my follow-up post.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh Katz View Post
    This totally explains why you don't understand this issue.

    You must have a brain to have a mind, but you can't have a mind without a brain, thus they are not one in the same.
    Which one did you use to write that sentence? I recommend trying out the other one instead as the sentence was laughable nonsense.

  10. #370
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Transgendered. Insane or Misunderstood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    The hypothalamus also engages in communication with other organs that secretes hormones. Where does the mind begin then?

    Also, I'll wait until you addressed my follow-up post.
    Obviously the entire body of our organism is a "system" with messages constantly being sent from the body to the brain. But the brain is the interpretation center, the thinking center. The brain is your mind. This doesn't mean other parts of the body don't affect the brain and vice versa but the argument that the mind and brain are separate things has no scientific backing. Chemical imbalance in the brain will alter how you think, how you feel, etc. Hormones can affect your brain. I fail to see how getting "hormonal" is evidence that the mind and brain are two distinct entities.

    The idea of a mind that is separate from the brain is an ideological argument that involves spirits and souls and so forth.

    Scientifically they're one in the same.
    Last edited by talloulou; 10-22-08 at 10:33 PM.

Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •