View Poll Results: What is Your IQ?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 80

    4 5.71%
  • 80 - 90

    1 1.43%
  • 90 - 100

    0 0%
  • 100 - 110

    1 1.43%
  • 110 - 120

    4 5.71%
  • 120 - 130

    10 14.29%
  • 130 - 140

    16 22.86%
  • 140 - 150

    18 25.71%
  • 150 - 160

    5 7.14%
  • Over 160

    11 15.71%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 184

Thread: What is Your IQ?

  1. #91
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,027

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Y'all still talking about IQ?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  2. #92
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    "Hard Work" is not measured in hours.
    I didn't say "hard work," as that's a completely unquantifiable statistic. I said "more hours"

    I know pleanty of dudes who work 50+ hours a week making 150K while going golfing with clients. etc.
    Funny, cause I don't know a single one. The only people I know golfing with clients are doing so in addition to their 50 or 60 hour work weeks.

    They would NEVER trade places with a 20K per year masonry laborer working 40 hours a week of back-breaking labor.
    Uh...of course not. One is making 20K and the other is making 150K - why would you trade?

    Trust me, I've done both. I can worj 80+ hours a week now and stil do less that a quarter tf the work I did as a non-union constructin worker in college.
    And I presume that's because the skills that you've cultivated now are far more useful than the skills you had when you were a construction worker. The fact that you find the work to be "easier" has no bearing on whether you're working more.

    I don't know a single person (other than a 75+ year old dude I used to work for) who makes a large salary without working at least 50 hour weeks.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,627

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Yeah. I was in a juvenile psychiatric facility.

    Many poor people and minorities only take IQ tests in prison, or in preparation for trial. I also consider this "under duress", and I believe it effects the test's efficacy, and therefore the reliability of the statistics.
    Well, that certainly is duress IMO too, and I did not consider that possibility either.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    I still maintain that it's harder to have others busting your balls vs. busting your balls in pursuit of your own goals. It's all about upward mobility and the folks that have nowhere to go work the hardest for little reward. People making $150,000 a year are reaping the benefits of their labor. Hardworking folks making less than $30,000 a year with no light at the end of the tunnel are working their arses off in survival mode. They're not working hard to reap greater rewards, they're working to literally put food on the table and there's no comparison between them and the rich and there's no question that their paycheck to paycheck survival mode is harder. Luckily few are "stuck" in such a position long term. But for those who are for whatever reason it's obscene to even suggest rich folks are working harder.

  5. #95
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    I still maintain that it's harder to have others busting your balls vs. busting your balls in pursuit of your own goals. It's all about upward mobility and the folks that have nowhere to go work the hardest for little reward. People making $150,000 a year are reaping the benefits of their labor. Hardworking folks making less than $30,000 a year with no light at the end of the tunnel are working their arses off in survival mode. They're not working hard to reap greater rewards, they're working to literally put food on the table and there's no comparison between them and the rich and there's no question that their paycheck to paycheck survival mode is harder. Luckily few are "stuck" in such a position long term. But for those who are for whatever reason it's obscene to even suggest rich folks are working harder.
    There's a substantial difference between working hard and working smart. Working hard means you will likely do well at performing your duties. I see working smart as doing things above and beyond expected duties. People at the top are paid more because for one thing they are usually better at adapting to, finding, or creating change which is sometimes the only job for upper execs. There is significant diminishing returns when developing into an expert burger flipper.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    There's a substantial difference between working hard and working smart. Working hard means you will likely do well at performing your duties. I see working smart as doing things above and beyond expected duties. People at the top are paid more because for one thing they are usually better at adapting to, finding, or creating change which is sometimes the only job for upper execs. There is significant diminishing returns when developing into an expert burger flipper.
    There are folks though who cannot get ahead regardless of how hard they work but they work hard anyway knowing that while they have blocks in their way their children won't. Illegal immigrants are perfect examples of this. Many of them work multiple jobs and with their illegal status they will never break free of the daily grind. They will always have to work hard to survive in the US without any hope of moving up because of the blocks in their way. They do it though because their kids who are born here will not have the same problems.

  7. #97
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    There are folks though who cannot get ahead regardless of how hard they work
    The only legitimate reasons I can think of are handicaps and ignorance. Apathy, illegal activity, and laziness are not valid excuses why one can't learn.

    but they work hard anyway knowing that while they have blocks in their way their children won't. Illegal immigrants are perfect examples of this. Many of them work multiple jobs and with their illegal status they will never break free of the daily grind. They will always have to work hard to survive in the US without any hope of moving up because of the blocks in their way. They do it though because their kids who are born here will not have the same problems.
    You have quite a romantic view of poverty. I don't think I'd go as far as to say that most people in poverty work hard out of such altruistic preoccupations.
    Last edited by scourge99; 08-21-08 at 05:38 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    The only legitimate reasons I can think of are handicaps and ignorance. Apathy, illegal activity, and laziness are not valid excuses why one can't learn.

    You have quite a romantic view of poverty. I don't think I'd go as far as to say that most people in poverty work hard out of such altruistic preoccupations.
    We were speaking about hard workers. Do poor hardworking people have to work harder than rich hardworking people? My answer is and remains, "Yes." I never said most people in poverty work hard. And as for people, "who can't learn" I have no clue what you're talking about and it seems off topic. But the entire thread is off topic so whatever.

  9. #99
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    We were speaking about hard workers. Do poor hardworking people have to work harder than rich hardworking people? My answer is and remains, "Yes."
    Poor people tend to work more physically intensive jobs, yes. They may have to work more jobs because one job isn't sufficient income, yes.

    If your criteria for hardwork is only based on time at work and physical exertion then yes poor people work harder.

    However, I believe stress, responsibility, and the type of work are also factors thus "hardwork" is hard to compare for such different jobs.

    I never said most people in poverty work hard. And as for people, "who can't learn" I have no clue what you're talking about and it seems off topic.
    you were talking about how poor immigrants can never make themselves into anything because of their illegal status. I was merely pointing out that such isn't an excuse along with other invalid excuses.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: What is Your IQ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    If your criteria for hardwork is only based on time at work and physical exertion then yes poor people work harder.
    My criteria is how much you get back for what you put in. How much rewards do you reap for your efforts?

    you were talking about how poor immigrants can never make themselves into anything because of their illegal status. I was merely pointing out that such isn't an excuse along with other invalid excuses.
    It's not an excuse, it's a reality. And if I lived in TJ I'd haul my arse across the border too. To many of them it's worth what they go through to insure their children's future. I can empathize with that.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •