I was thinking about this today, and it's a tough call for me.
- California has, far and away, the best year-round weather of any state in the country.
- Utah has the best economy.
- North Carolina has the friendliest people (in my experience)
- New York has the coolest city, with Texas/California/NC close behind
- DC has the most "urban" beauty, with New York and Illinois close behind
- Alaska has the most natural beauty, with Colorado a distant second
- Washington, Tennessee, and Louisiana have the best music scenes
- Texas and California have the most diversity among cities in close proximity to each other
- Alabama and South Carolina have the hottest chicks
- Massachusetts has the smartest people and best universities
- Ohio and Michigan have the lowest cost of living
- Wisconsin and Texas have the best bargains in housing (IMO)
- Louisiana has the most, err, creative system of government
- Florida has the best vacation spots
- Vermont and New Hampshire have the lowest crime rates
- Hawaii doesn't have to put up with any **** from neighboring states
- Colorado has the best selection of outdoor activities, with Washington and Oregon close behind
I'd have to rank the coolest states as such: 1) California, 2) North Carolina, 3) Texas