One of my best friends has a younger half-sister. She's five years old. His mother is extremely religious (protestant, not a church-goer). He didn't grow up with his mother but his half-sister has lived with their mother since birth.
This little girl seems extremely intelligent. She can carry on conversations like an adult (which I found amazing for a five year old). Her speech is very clear and she seems very mature. She can even read at almost an adult level from what I can tell. She was really impressive. That a five year old could be so advanced to the point that I felt almost completely justified in treating her like an adult was weird, I thought, but the weirdest part was that this is kid is, for lack of a better term, a total "Jesus Freak."
Let me explain:
- She only talks about "Jesus." No matter what you try to talk to her about, the topic of conversation will come back around to Jesus within literally 10 seconds.
- If you don't say anything, she will initiate a conversation about Jesus. She asks questions like "Do you believe in the god that I believe in?"
- It is extremely important to her that people believe in Jesus.
- Her half-brother is a what I would call a "spiritual" guy. He doesn't really buy into any religion but he feels like there is something more out there and that most religions, from Christianity to Buddhism, are on the right track. It is offensive to this little girl that he does not believe in Jesus as the "one true god" and he "died for our sins." She badgers him relentlessly to the point that, when she visits, he tries to avoid her.
- She says that Jesus talks to her. Her mother believes this and is responsible for encouraging all of this interest in Jesus, but she is conscious that "Jesus talks to me" comes off as crazy. Everytime her daughter brings up talking to Jesus, she reminds her that "we don't talk about that in public."
- Her mother removed her from kindergarten and is now home-schooling her because the other children in class were making fun of her fixation on Jesus.
Now, I'll be honest, I'm not a religious guy. I'm also not an anti-religious guy. Personally, I'm agnostic. I feel like I haven't seen proof of a god or gods one way or the other, so I respect the right of people to believe in whatever religion they choose and, I hope, they respect my right to think most religion is a bunch of hooey until somebody convinces me otherwise or until some spectral being presents itself before me.
When I hear something like "Jesus talks to me" though, I start to wonder if, perhaps, there isn't some sort of major psychological issue in play there.
Turns out though, at least from conversations I've had, talking to Jesus is not uncommon.
My mom thinks Jesus talks to her (my mom's kind of a Jesus Freak too, so I didn't put much stock in that). I've also had a lot of people that I find to be absolutely, completely sane though, tell me the exact same thing.
I figured it must be in the way of showing a sign or something, the old burning bush and what not, but no. These people I've talked to say they are literally hearing, in their head, what they believe to be the voice of Jesus Christ. That really concerns me because, usually, whenever you hear someone say that, they're usually wearing a straight jacket.
So, in the interest of curiousity, I have to ask the question.
Does Jesus talk to you?