View Poll Results: Read the intro and vote accordingly

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st Amendment

    4 7.27%
  • 2nd Amendment

    11 20.00%
  • 4th Amendment

    1 1.82%
  • 9th Amendment

    0 0%
  • 14th Amendment

    8 14.55%
  • Other.

    31 56.36%
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 181

Thread: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

  1. #131
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    1. I would specifically ban abortion via constitutional amendment or at least enable states to pass their own laws regarding abortion.
    2. I would codify a right to privacy into law.
    3. I would codify a right to control your own body into law.
    4. I would change the Interstate Commerce Clause so that it can't be so broadly misinterpreted
    5. I would codify a right to tinker into law (inundating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and related laws).
    Last edited by BulletWounD; 03-08-09 at 07:41 PM.

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,882

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    1. I would specifically ban abortion via constitutional amendment or at least enable states to pass their own laws regarding abortion.
    2. I would codify a right to privacy into law.
    3. I would codify a right to control your own body into law.
    4. I would change the Interstate Commerce Clause so that it can't be so broadly misinterpreted
    5. I would codify a right to tinker into law (inundating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and related laws).
    Points #1 and #3 seem to be in contradiction with each other. Just saying.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #133
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I agree with this one, and there is such irony here. Clinton tried the line item veto, and Republicans took him to court, where it was declared unconstitutional. Of course, I understand why Republicans sued Clinton. He was trying to do something that the Constitution said he cannot do. Still, the irony here is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I only wish that Republicans would have supported the Constitution with as much zeal after Bush took office.
    Perhaps, but if we allowed that, that would effectively give the office of the President legislative power which is a clear disregard of what the separation of powers is meant to do.

    And I share your ironic sentiments. We're seeing this now. Stuff Bush did that Obama followed is suddenly unacceptable. The hypocrisy is amazing.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #134
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,026

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Points #1 and #3 seem to be in contradiction with each other. Just saying.




    the baby inside the mother is a body.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    I'd like to make it so that an 80% popular vote could remove a Supreme Court Justice. In essence every so many years, there could be a retention vote for the Supreme Court Justices, and if enough people want them out (it would have to be a high percentage to insulate from crappy political stuff), then they're gone. I think the People need a way to control the courts as well.
    Last edited by Ikari; 03-09-09 at 09:37 AM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #136
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'd like to make it so that an 80% popular vote could remove a Supreme Court Justice. In essence every so many years, there could be a retention vote for the Supreme Court Justices, and if enough people want them out (it would have to be a high percentage to insulate from crappy political stuff), then they're gone. I think the People need a way to control the courts as well.
    First, with 9 justices, we'd have these elections fairly often, or have one big super election... second, think of the dog and pony show we have every four years for the presidential election... could you imagine having a similar ruckus for every justice on the court? And of course, everyone in their power would do everything in their power to smear the justices, and it'd be a mess... thanks but no thanks.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Federal justices, including the judges sitting on the Supreme Court, should have fixed defined terms. For the USSC, fix the terms at 18 years, and stagger the appointments so that each congressional term sees the appointment of one new justice.

    As it stands now, the judges hang on forever and incompetent old boobs can't be gotten rid of until their at death's door or beyond, and we're still suffering from reactionary judges appointed in the 70's giving us little gems like Kelo v New London, for one example.

    Also write the amendment so that the appointment of justices can't either be filibustered in the Senate or held up in committee indefinitely.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 03-09-09 at 04:53 PM.

  8. #138
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    First, with 9 justices, we'd have these elections fairly often, or have one big super election... second, think of the dog and pony show we have every four years for the presidential election... could you imagine having a similar ruckus for every justice on the court? And of course, everyone in their power would do everything in their power to smear the justices, and it'd be a mess... thanks but no thanks.
    I'd rather have control over the system then to just sail the seas hoping for the best because negative campaigning is ugly. And that's also the reason for the extremely high vote needed to remove a Justice from office.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #139
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'd rather have control over the system then to just sail the seas hoping for the best because negative campaigning is ugly. And that's also the reason for the extremely high vote needed to remove a Justice from office.
    Also, that would politicize their job even more than it is already. Would you want a Justice to have to worry about his job as he decides a case?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  10. #140
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 07:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: What Part of the Constitution Would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    If you could change one part of the Constitution without having to go through the normal channels, what would it be? Explain why.

    I said the 14th, because it was ratified illegally, at the tip of a bayonet, and reversed everything the federal government was designed to be.
    You looking to bring back slavery?

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •