View Poll Results: Should all large & medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 55.56%
  • No

    4 22.22%
  • Unsure

    3 16.67%
  • Give me a "baba"

    1 5.56%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?[W:46]

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 07:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?[W:46]

    U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) introduced the Friendly Airports for Mothers (FAM) Act, a bill with bipartisan support that would require commercial airports to provide private lactation rooms for breastfeeding mothers in every terminal. "Finding a clean and private space to breastfeed or pump breast milk in an airport can be burdensome and stressful, if not impossible,” Duckworth wrote in an op-ed for the Chicago Sun Times. “It’s not uncommon for moms to be directed to a bathroom. We would never ask our fellow travelers to eat their meals in bathrooms stalls, yet we ask new mothers to feed their children while sitting on a toilet seat."



    Duckworth's bill -- one that would have an effect at the national level -- comes at a time when politicians and citizens are working to make these mandates at the local level. Last year, California passed a law requiring airports to provide lactation rooms with chairs, electric outlets and, in the case of newly constructed terminals, sinks for mothers to wash their breast pumps. A similar bill passed both houses of the Illinois legislature earlier this month.

    While women have the right to breastfeed in public in the U.S., this legislation would give nursing moms the option for a safe, clean and enclosed space if they wish to nurse or pump privately. In a November 2014 survey of 100 U.S. airports, 62 reported that they were "breastfeeding-friendly," yet only eight of them had private lactation rooms that met the minimum standards. Furthermore, two of these eight airports' lactation rooms were placed outside terminal security checkpoints.....snip~

    Breastfeeding In Airports Is Miserable. These Women Are Aiming To Fix That.







    What do you think, should All US Large and media Airports have lactations rooms? Also if they do this with Airports wont they have to do it with Train Stations? What say ye?

  2. #2
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    09-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,009

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) introduced the Friendly Airports for Mothers (FAM) Act, a bill with bipartisan support that would require commercial airports to provide private lactation rooms for breastfeeding mothers in every terminal. "Finding a clean and private space to breastfeed or pump breast milk in an airport can be burdensome and stressful, if not impossible,” Duckworth wrote in an op-ed for the Chicago Sun Times. “It’s not uncommon for moms to be directed to a bathroom. We would never ask our fellow travelers to eat their meals in bathrooms stalls, yet we ask new mothers to feed their children while sitting on a toilet seat."



    Duckworth's bill -- one that would have an effect at the national level -- comes at a time when politicians and citizens are working to make these mandates at the local level. Last year, California passed a law requiring airports to provide lactation rooms with chairs, electric outlets and, in the case of newly constructed terminals, sinks for mothers to wash their breast pumps. A similar bill passed both houses of the Illinois legislature earlier this month.

    While women have the right to breastfeed in public in the U.S., this legislation would give nursing moms the option for a safe, clean and enclosed space if they wish to nurse or pump privately. In a November 2014 survey of 100 U.S. airports, 62 reported that they were "breastfeeding-friendly," yet only eight of them had private lactation rooms that met the minimum standards. Furthermore, two of these eight airports' lactation rooms were placed outside terminal security checkpoints.....snip~

    Breastfeeding In Airports Is Miserable. These Women Are Aiming To Fix That.







    What do you think, should All US Large and media Airports have lactations rooms? Also if they do this with Airports wont they have to do it with Train Stations? What say ye?
    NO! Americans just need to get over the Puritanical ridiculousness and accept women nursing in public without surprise, offense, or reaction at all.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #3
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    11-27-16 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,556

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    It is a sad thing that women have to hide in little boxes to breastfeed their children. People should grow up and not be "offended" when they see a woman breastfeed.
    If his own campaign does not trust him with a twitter account, how can anyone trust Donald Trump with the nuclear codes?

  4. #4
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,202

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    It is a sad thing that women have to hide in little boxes to breastfeed their children. People should grow up and not be "offended" when they see a woman breastfeed.
    Seems we don't want children being shocked or offended in this country but, some have no problem offing them before they leave their mother's womb.

    It is sad.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,681

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    NO! Americans just need to get over the Puritanical ridiculousness and accept women nursing in public without surprise, offense, or reaction at all.
    I agree with you, wholeheartedly. It should be completely acceptable to breast feed in public.

    To the OP, in the absence of that, yes. Airports should be required to have clean private area in which to breast feed or pump. Whether it's one of those silly pictured "compartments" or a room ancillary to the restroom. I was in such a situation when my daughter was a newborn. I didn't use the restroom, I found a gate area where there were no people waiting and sat in the furthest corner with a blanket over me and my mom next to me. It was that or a car without A/C. I never considered using a public restroom. Ew!

    (This was pre-9/11. I probably couldn't get away with that now.)

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 07:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    NO! Americans just need to get over the Puritanical ridiculousness and accept women nursing in public without surprise, offense, or reaction at all.

    Mornin Summer. The bolded is Huff Po's link to the Law. Women have the Right to breastfeed in public.....anywhere. As far as I know.


    While women have the right to breastfeed in public in the U.S., this legislation would give nursing moms the option for a safe, clean and enclosed space if they wish to nurse or pump privately. In a November 2014 survey of 100 U.S. airports, 62 reported that they were "breastfeeding-friendly," yet only eight of them had private lactation rooms that met the minimum standards. Furthermore, two of these eight airports' lactation rooms were placed outside terminal security checkpoints.....snip~

  7. #7
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    09-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,009

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I agree with you, wholeheartedly. It should be completely acceptable to breast feed in public.

    To the OP, in the absence of that, yes. Airports should be required to have clean private area in which to breast feed or pump. Whether it's one of those silly pictured "compartments" or a room ancillary to the restroom. I was in such a situation when my daughter was a newborn. I didn't use the restroom, I found a gate area where there were no people waiting and sat in the furthest corner with a blanket over me and my mom next to me. It was that or a car without A/C. I never considered using a public restroom. Ew!

    (This was pre-9/11. I probably couldn't get away with that now.)
    I only had the luxury of breastfeeding for about six weeks before the fact that my open heart surgery had severed the nerves to my nipples so I couldn't feel the baby nursing and the milk wouldn't let down. For six weeks though, hormones are nutty and not relating to real life, so whenever I started leaking, I'd grab up the baby and nurse, just take advantage of it while I could. So I didn't even care if anyone saw, I did use a blanket over the shoulder, but I sat down wherever was handly, stuck the baby under my shirt, and blanky over my shoulder, and dared anyone to screw with me. No one actually ever did. However I did have a "friend," who upon finding out I was breastfeeding, banned me from her house because breastfeeding wasn't, and I quote, "natural." She was the wife of a close colleague of my husbands, we'd gotten along right up until then. Never spoke to her again, just can't deal with that level of stupid.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  8. #8
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,533

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    NO! Americans just need to get over the Puritanical ridiculousness and accept women nursing in public without surprise, offense, or reaction at all.
    And the women who don't want to expose themselves in public better suck it up, eh?





    Yes. They should have these rooms available. That doesn't mean they should be forced to, but they should.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  9. #9
    Sage
    BrewerBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    6,384

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    There is certainly no problem with a woman breast feeding in public at all. But if there are women who would like a quiet out the way place to do it in the hustle and bustle of an airport then this seems like a nice option. Also, people from all over the world use airports and there may be women from countries where it isn't legal to breastfeed in public and thus may feel awkward about it. This would be a nice option for them as well.

    Options are good.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 07:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should all large and Medium US Airports have Lactation Rooms Nationwide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    It is a sad thing that women have to hide in little boxes to breastfeed their children. People should grow up and not be "offended" when they see a woman breastfeed.
    Mornin Peter. The Japanese and a couple Europeans countries have these lactation rooms in their Airports. Did they do this because it offended people? Meaning, was it done by legislation or the Airlines?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •