View Poll Results: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 26.32%
  • No

    14 73.68%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,288

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why would they automatically need more assistance unless you are assuming they misspend the lump sum? Yes it will be less but who knows how old they are? Maybe they'll continue to work, at least part time. I would. Maybe they'll die before they spend it all. You have no idea.
    I don't know what you're saying.

    Say one goes from receiving $500 from social security and $500 from financial need programs (welfare/foodstamps/etc). Person budgets $1,000 for food/shelter/bills.

    Now there's no more social security. They only get $500 from remaining financial need programs. Person still needs another $500 to live. You're suggesting they're on their own ???? The problem will just fix itself because they can go back to work, or just get on with it and die?

  2. #42
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    I don't know what you're saying.

    Say one goes from receiving $500 from social security and $500 from financial need programs (welfare/foodstamps/etc). Person budgets $1,000 for food/shelter/bills.

    Now there's no more social security. They only get $500 from remaining financial need programs. Person still needs another $500 to live. You're suggesting they're on their own ???? The problem will just fix itself because they can go back to work, or just get on with it and die?
    What happened to the lump sum SS they got?
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the public sector that isn't the private, for profit sector.
    Think about how the different public sectors must budget and obtain financial resources.

    in a first world society, it's either pay people to work or pay them not to. i prefer the former.
    Then you must only buy American-made. What are you doing to encourage others to do the same?
    "The knowledge and prudence of the poor themselves, are absolutely the only means by which any general and permanent improvement in their condition can be effected." - Thomas Malthus

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You'd rather give them money and have no goods to show for it...?
    If they were capable of producing something of value the public wanted and needed, why wouldn't the public already expend their resources to hire them to do it?

    You can't find a single infrastructure or service that's understaffed...? Do you have any idea how severely our bridges have deteriorated because they aren't properly maintained...?
    Infrastructure is built by highly educated and trained proven professional firms, not unemployed people holding shovels. All the infrastructure spending in the world will not employ our unemployed and underemployed.
    "The knowledge and prudence of the poor themselves, are absolutely the only means by which any general and permanent improvement in their condition can be effected." - Thomas Malthus

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,255

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Think about how the different public sectors must budget and obtain financial resources.
    the public sector is funded by taxes. i'm for reprioritizing and finding new sources of revenue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Then you must only buy American-made.
    incorrect, though i would support manufacturing more goods here, whether privately or publicly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    What are you doing to encourage others to do the same?
    i can only control my own shopping habits, though i do try to support companies that embrace humane manufacturing practices. when it comes to clothes and electronics, though, it's pretty difficult. tariffs could be a useful tool.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the public sector is funded by taxes. i'm for reprioritizing and finding new sources of revenue.
    Different public sectors gather their financial means through very different types of taxes. Hence the idea that the public sector should simply hire the unemployed begs the question, which level of the public sector? Sounds like you haven't thought that far into it.

    incorrect, though i would support manufacturing more goods here, whether privately or publicly.
    So you just loft up the notion that more stuff should be produced here even though people (including yourself) don't want the stuff that's produced here. Quite the conundrum.
    "The knowledge and prudence of the poor themselves, are absolutely the only means by which any general and permanent improvement in their condition can be effected." - Thomas Malthus

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,255

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Different public sectors gather their financial means through very different types of taxes. Hence the idea that the public sector should simply hire the unemployed begs the question, which level of the public sector?
    the federal level, which is responsible for managing the program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Sounds like you haven't thought that far into it.
    incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    So you just loft up the notion that more stuff should be produced here even though people (including yourself) don't want the stuff that's produced here.
    incorrect. quit inventing ridiculous arguments, or i will stop responding.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,288

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    If they were capable of producing something of value the public wanted and needed, why wouldn't the public already expend their resources to hire them to do it?



    Infrastructure is built by highly educated and trained proven professional firms, not unemployed people holding shovels. All the infrastructure spending in the world will not employ our unemployed and underemployed.
    No, you can't argue that the public does not want anything more that the government could potentially pay the currently unemployed to produce. That argument has not been demonstrated by the fact that we aren't already paying for it.

    Because, let's face it, if Nancy Pelosi came on TV and said we should put pay the unemployed to manufacture clothing and office supplies for sale on the open market, you'd have tens of millions of republicans screaming bloody murder at the mere suggestion.

  9. #49
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,134
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The question is based off of an Alex Pollock article at Real Clear Markets.

    Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You? | RealClearMarkets



    So would you do it?


    No way.

    I'm 72 years old and I expect to live long enough to collect a lot more than I paid in to Social Security and I'll spend the money with a smile on my face.


  10. #50
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,134
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Would you support changes if it means not screwing over younger generations even more?


    The younger generations will have to play the hand that they're dealt -just like we will have to.

    They'll be depending on their children and grandchildren just like we are now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •