View Poll Results: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 26.32%
  • No

    14 73.68%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

  1. #11
    Guru
    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,116

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Considering I'll be applying for my benefit in 4 months, NO.

  2. #12
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,186

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Perhaps social security works differently in the US than it does in Canada but based on what I know of our system, I wouldn't. Generally, when you cash out of such a system or plan before you're fully vested, you are only entitled to your own contributions plus standard interest and not entitled to any contributions made by your employer on your behalf. As such, you'd be leaving a lot of money on the table just to get out.

    In addition, how is it determined how much you're "owed"? The amount you'd realize from social security would increase or decrease based on how long you live. If you live to 70 what you're entitled to is significantly less than should you live into your 90s. The longer you expect to live, the more profitable for you a defined benefit payment will be.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  3. #13
    Guru
    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,116

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    When did the government promise you anything?
    You can receive an Estimation of Benefits from SSA. It shows you your age 62, full retirement, and age 70 benefit.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,332

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    You weren't exactly promised anything. Hell I'd actually be happy to get back what I've paid in.
    of course i was. i was promised that i could retire at 65 with full benefits. if there isn't enough money to do that, make it enough, or raise taxes.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,332

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    When did the government promise you anything?
    save your absolutist libertarian nonsense arguments for someone who even gives a fraction of a ****.

  6. #16
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    save your absolutist libertarian nonsense arguments for someone who even gives a fraction of a ****.
    So no one ever promised you anything. Good to know.

  7. #17
    Guru

    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    of course i was. i was promised that i could retire at 65 with full benefits. if there isn't enough money to do that, make it enough, or raise taxes.
    Nah, they can change it as they see fit. No inherent promise there.

    • The fact that workers contribute to the Social Security program's funding through a dedicated payroll tax establishes a unique connection between those tax payments and future benefits. More so than general federal income taxes can be said to establish "rights" to certain government services. This is often expressed in the idea that Social Security benefits are "an earned right." This is true enough in a moral and political sense. But like all federal entitlement programs, Congress can change the rules regarding eligibility--and it has done so many times over the years. The rules can be made more generous, or they can be made more restrictive. Benefits which are granted at one time can be withdrawn, as for example with student benefits, which were substantially scaled-back in the 1983 Amendments.


    Social Security Online History Pages

    Hell SS used to be tax free, then they went up to 50%, now it's can be up to 85%. Full retirement age used to be 65, now it's 67. With the looming baby boomer crowd going through SS, I can guarantee you there will be more changes.
    Last edited by Winchester; 07-08-15 at 07:33 PM.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,332

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Nah, they can change it as they see fit. No inherent promise there.

    • The fact that workers contribute to the Social Security program's funding through a dedicated payroll tax establishes a unique connection between those tax payments and future benefits. More so than general federal income taxes can be said to establish "rights" to certain government services. This is often expressed in the idea that Social Security benefits are "an earned right." This is true enough in a moral and political sense. But like all federal entitlement programs, Congress can change the rules regarding eligibility--and it has done so many times over the years. The rules can be made more generous, or they can be made more restrictive. Benefits which are granted at one time can be withdrawn, as for example with student benefits, which were substantially scaled-back in the 1983 Amendments.


    Social Security Online History Pages

    Hell SS used to be tax free, then they went up to 50%, now it's can be up to 85%. Full retirement age used to be 65, now it's 67. With the looming baby boomer crowd going through SS, I can guarantee you there will be more changes.
    almost certainly. however, i don't support those changes. i'm out of the daily grind at 65 no matter what it means for my social security benefits.

  9. #19
    Guru

    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    almost certainly. however, i don't support those changes. i'm out of the daily grind at 65 no matter what it means for my social security benefits.
    Would you support changes if it means not screwing over younger generations even more?

  10. #20
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,452

    Re: Would You Take 77 Cents For Every Dollar Social Security Owes You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    no. pay me what i was promised. if there isn't enough money, raise taxes, and end the wars.
    If they raise taxes, they would just be taking much of what you were promised back again. If there is not enough money, put the able bodied welfare recipients to work and cut down on the pork barrel spending products....and stop raiding the SS trust fund.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •