View Poll Results: Is the double standard acceptable?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 33.33%
  • No

    9 60.00%
  • Other

    1 6.67%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 101

Thread: Sexist Double Standard

  1. #81
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,919

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Sorry for no links people...

    A little wierd, but I'm not offended by it.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #82
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Sure. There are intellectual cowards that fail to address the point at times... I see you are not addressing the point in this thread.

    Do so...
    Intellectual coward is your motis operendi. I didn't see you respond to my posts addressing the point, either.

    Do so...


    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    You said it was a commercial but failed to mention what product or message they were trying to sell. New Zealand's headlines are splashed with sexual harassment charges against it's Prime Minister and other government officials. Could it have anything to do with that? Or did you expect everyone to judge a commercial they've never seen simply based on your dubious interpretation of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Why did the woman, Denise make her hair look like Dennis, the male trainer and then act like a man coming onto a woman? Is there something you're not telling us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I looked but couldn't find anything. But in my search I did see that New Zealand is having a sexual harassment scandal involving their prime minister and a few other high up officials. So the issue is probably a hot topic there right now.

    I can't help but wonder what kind of message Bodi is giving his daughters by blaming women for sexual harassment: "Look girls, women do it, too so never mind when men cop a feel making your job uncomfortable.....just enjoy it girls, or it'll look like you have double standards."

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,890

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    And also that women are infantilized. The reason why women get alimony even though most of them work, and also get away with things like this, are exactly the same reason. They are deemed too stupid to be responsible for their own actions and lives.
    I just wanted to address this part. Men and women get alimony and it has nothing to do with women being "too stupid to be responsible for their own actions" and everything to do with the fact that being in a marriage where you stay home, don't work, puts you at a disadvantage if that marriage dissolves, particularly if it is due to something you had no control over. Sure, there are people who are gold diggers and take advantage of this, but it doesn't normally go to women or men who work unless they have a completely crappy job, and their spouse such an awesome one that they have a vast gap between their incomes (not a very common situation even among those who get alimony).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #84
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,457

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I just wanted to address this part. Men and women get alimony and it has nothing to do with women being "too stupid to be responsible for their own actions" and everything to do with the fact that being in a marriage where you stay home, don't work, puts you at a disadvantage if that marriage dissolves, particularly if it is due to something you had no control over. Sure, there are people who are gold diggers and take advantage of this, but it doesn't normally go to women or men who work unless they have a completely crappy job, and their spouse such an awesome one that they have a vast gap between their incomes (not a very common situation even among those who get alimony).
    That should be your responsbility if you want to seperate from a partnership. Your former partner doesn't have anything to do with whatever financial situation you put yourself in.

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,890

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    That should be your responsbility if you want to seperate from a partnership. Your former partner doesn't have anything to do with whatever financial situation you put yourself in.
    Who said the person getting alimony is the one choosing to end the relationship? Plus there is a good deal of precedence in using the fact that a person makes all or most of the money using that against the other spouse to control them. Reality is that some people provide something(s) other than money in a relationship, getting little to no job experience putting them at a severe disadvantage if the relationship ends or becomes abusive.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #86
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,457

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Who said the person getting alimony is the one choosing to end the relationship? Plus there is a good deal of precedence in using the fact that a person makes all or most of the money using that against the other spouse to control them. Reality is that some people provide something(s) other than money in a relationship, getting little to no job experience putting them at a severe disadvantage if the relationship ends or becomes abusive.
    It is usually women initiating divorces, and usually women receiving alimony. So in most cases, it is.

    Abusive and coercive situations are a matter of criminal law.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,890

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    It is usually women initiating divorces, and usually women receiving alimony. So in most cases, it is.

    Abusive and coercive situations are a matter of criminal law.
    More and more men are receiving alimony. Because more and more women are going to work and making more than their spouse.

    Alimony: Women Increasingly Paying Alimony To Their Ex Husbands

    Alimony is rare to begin with.

    Alimony Figures

    On the highest side, what I can find is about 1-2% of people are currently receiving spousal support (not to be confused with child support). That is a very small percentage of the population. Especially since there are still some who are still entitled to lifetime support due to their arrangements being made prior to the new laws that changed most alimony to being temporary for most spouses, to get them back on their feet (as it absolutely should be).

    Spousal support considerations for California

    Spousal/Partner Support - divorce_or_separation_selfhelp
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #88
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,457

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    More and more men are receiving alimony. Because more and more women are going to work and making more than their spouse.

    Alimony: Women Increasingly Paying Alimony To Their Ex Husbands

    Alimony is rare to begin with.

    Alimony Figures

    On the highest side, what I can find is about 1-2% of people are currently receiving spousal support (not to be confused with child support). That is a very small percentage of the population. Especially since there are still some who are still entitled to lifetime support due to their arrangements being made prior to the new laws that changed most alimony to being temporary for most spouses, to get them back on their feet (as it absolutely should be).

    Spousal support considerations for California

    Spousal/Partner Support - divorce_or_separation_selfhelp
    They shouldn't either.

    That's good, I suppose.

  9. #89
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    99

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I was watching this commercial with my daughters this morning where this new worker (woman) gets a job and is obsessed with the male trainer. His name is Dennis and she claims her name is Denise. She makes her hair the same and then sits really close claiming (touching distance) where she then proceeds to touch his torso against his will as he looks nervous and runs away while she has a creepy look and smile following him down the hall. In another commercial she is on a ladder and asks for help balancing and she pulls his face into her ass... literally.

    What the ****? I think it is funny but it is clear cut sexism that it is OK, AND FUNNY, to sexually harass a man.

    Imagine if the roles where reversed and a man did that to a woman in a commercial? Firings... suing... protests.

    So, why is a double standard acceptable and this Poll is primarily directed to women. Do you think it is acceptable and if so... why?


    I think it is unacceptable for any gender to behave like that. Likewise I find it unacceptable to show such things on television where young viewers grow up with the impression that "everyone behaves like that".

    I get harassed by customers all the time, coworkers too, male or female, it is disgusting. There is such a double standard in this country to begin with.

    In my opinion one can not discuss issues with another in this country without being seen as a gender specific individual. What do I mean?

    Why can someone in America not give someone from the other gender a compliment, without that other one having gross and fantasy like imaginations going on at the same time? Don't know.
    Why can someone in America not give someone from the same gender a compliment without being seen as having a personal interest in that person: which is total bogus?

    Why do people always describe sexual relations in America with preset descriptions that clearly illustrate what is going on, without ever being clear that such things are not the same thing as caring about another person, never will be.

    Why do people in America shy away from factual discussions about relations because they always see themselves within that description or someone other that is not in fact a part of that factual description?

    Let me clarify: There is a reason that our brain is in our head and that those organs and parts are far away from our sexual organs. Gee, maybe that is not clear enough.

    I am disgusted by sexual depictions and I am disgusted by people who claim it is funny to describe sexual relations with the proper descriptions.

    When someone cares about that then they do not care about the person that they have those detailed sexual relations with.

    What I find most disgusting in this country is the fact that people constantly try to use sex as a distraction from the real thing. My mouth stays where it is, thank you very much, not sure it was intended to do the many things that some disturbed mind would think about. And I sure do understand why certain organs are located exactly where they are, because there really is a plan in there how we are constructed.

    I know that this post is a waste of my effort, but yet I try and try.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Sexist Double Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    First of all it's difficult for me to imagine a man that is opposed to the sexual advances of a woman but if he is it's really more a power issue to me. I don't consider the advances of a man to be harassment (or threatening) unless he can physically overpower me (and I think he might try for some reason) or is in a position of authority (say a boss) and because of that I am unable (without high cost to myself) make him stop. So uninvited advances IMO do not constitute harassment.
    In the policing world.....

    One of several nightmare scenarios that can happen is to have a woman making sexual advances on you and you have to rebuke their actions without having witnesses.

    In many situations.... physical power isn't the only power one has to take into consideration. The power of false allegations because of rejection is also quite strong.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •