View Poll Results: should civil marriage be aboloshed in favor of holy matrimony only?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because it will stop gay marriage

    0 0%
  • Yes, because everybody in the US should be part of a religion

    0 0%
  • Yes, because most people in the US do not want there to be gay marriage

    0 0%
  • Yes, because there should never have been civil marriage in the first place

    6 17.14%
  • No, because gays can also get married in some churches

    8 22.86%
  • No, because people should be free to also have no religion and be able to marry

    26 74.29%
  • No, because most people support gay marriage

    9 25.71%
  • No, because it is right that there is something like civil marriage

    11 31.43%
  • I don't care, I am already married and I do not plan to re-marry

    0 0%
  • I am unmarried and will never marry, I hate being shackled to some man/woman

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 231

Thread: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

  1. #71
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,694

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You already said what makes the decision stupid. Leaving the workplace for years affects your ability to get a job in the future. Regardless, most of the time the woman makes the decision all on her own. Sure, she might ask the guy what he thinks, but chances are he isn't going to challenge on her on it even if he is against it.
    Is it? Child care isn't cheap so there is at least one expense avoided by having a stay at home parent. Most stay at home parents don't just care for the kids you can probably throw in avoided cleaning costs, laundry costs etc etc. Additionally some parents just want to raise their kids themselves. It's worth more to them that the lost income.

    Why do you think that most of the time it's the woman's decision and the man just rubberstamps it? You have data to back that up or are you speculating? And even if it's so assent is assent, whether it's wholehearted or not. If the guy agrees as far as I'm concerned he's on the hook to support her - at least to the extent of making up for her lost earnings capabilities should they split up.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Trump, patientia nostra?

  2. #72
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    The fact that because gays can now get married it a pretty weak argument for ending the rights, responsibilities, and benefits that Civil Marriage brings to families like mine.


    >>>>
    I was against government marriage well before I knew anything about the SSM issue ever came up. There is also nothing about my plan that calls for existing marriage licenses to be recalled. My plan calls for the government to stop issuing marriage licenses, but to keep in place all existing government marriages. This way, no one loses their benefits, while government is still able to get out of the marriage business.

  3. #73
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-18-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    8,532

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    "Waaaaahhhhhhh...since the gays can play I'm taking my toys and going home".

    Nobody cares what that geriatric **** thinks.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #74
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Is it? Child care isn't cheap so there is at least one expense avoided by having a stay at home parent. Most stay at home parents don't just care for the kids you can probably throw in avoided cleaning costs, laundry costs etc etc. Additionally some parents just want to raise their kids themselves. It's worth more to them that the lost income.
    You lose more income then you make back by one of the parents staying home. When you take into account there is cheap opinions someone could decide upon for child care and that cleaning can still be done free of any additional cost if both parents work, there isn't really much the woman is doing in terms of saving money.

    Why do you think that most of the time it's the woman's decision and the man just rubberstamps it? You have data to back that up or are you speculating? And even if it's so assent is assent, whether it's wholehearted or not. If the guy agrees as far as I'm concerned he's on the hook to support her - at least to the extent of making up for her lost earnings capabilities should they split up.
    What would lead you to think men are going to speak up when the woman wants to stay at home? He might voice his concerns, but when it comes right down to it if she wants to do it then more then likely he isn't going to even attempt to stop her. Society doesn't teach men it's their place to have much of any power or equal say in relationships, while it does tell women it's their place to assume control. If you haven't realized by now that women are in control over many things from the house to the children then you sir aren't paying attention.

  5. #75
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,409
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Until Henry VIII marriage was a social construct that was administered by families, communities and religions. Only when King Henry VIII couldn't get the pope to grant him a divorce because his wife couldn't bare a male heir did the church and state become one and marriage started down the path towards civil recognition. Let's go back for a truly free society.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #76
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    You are getting carried away by a number of strawman arguments. This whole episode has made me wonder why the government gives out special benefits for married couples. At one time, perhaps it made sense as most married couples produced children and it is good public policy to support families. However, as almost 50% of the adult population are unmarried, many for life and many couples remain child-less why should the government give the married people special benefits? We are still discriminating against the unmarried, many of whom are unmarried not by choice but by opportunity. We are contributing to inequality of income as wealthier people tend to marry wealthier people, doubling their income and giving them tax benefits.

    The question is: Why should the government be involved in personal living arrangements? Why not return marriage to the way many want it and in which the benefit of marriage is their own value system, not governmental special rights? Anyone can marry. Just don't give the near minority who want to be married special rights.

  7. #77
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    "Waaaaahhhhhhh...since the gays can play I'm taking my toys and going home".

    Nobody cares what that geriatric **** thinks.
    I guess you aren't voting for any of the Democratic candidates, considering they're all older than this "geriatric". Or do you just suffer from acute bigotry against old Republican people?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #78
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,694

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You lose more income then you make back by one of the parents staying home. When you take into account there is cheap opinions someone could decide upon for child care and that cleaning can still be done free of any additional cost if both parents work, there isn't really much the woman is doing in terms of saving money.



    What would lead you to think men are going to speak up when the woman wants to stay at home? He might voice his concerns, but when it comes right down to it if she wants to do it then more then likely he isn't going to even attempt to stop her. Society doesn't teach men it's their place to have much of any power or equal say in relationships, while it does tell women it's their place to assume control. If you haven't realized by now that women are in control over many things from the house to the children then you sir aren't paying attention.
    Sure you do lose more income than you make back. I was merely talking about avoided expenses that reduce the cost of the decision and not suggesting that they made up 100% for lost income. For most decent jobs they don't.

    My wife stayed home after our kids were born, giving up a career in finance because we both came from families with stay at home mothers and both felt - yes it was a joint decision and one I made without hesitation or qualification - that having the kids raised by their parents was the right thing to do. She stayed home simply because I was making more money and my earning potential was better. She could never go back into the job market in finance after all these years, though in our case it doesn't matter since she started a business in an unrelated field - she's a website designer and graphic artist - that brings in a decent income. She did control the house and finances for many years because, frankly, I was out of the house working and commuting 12-14 hours a day, everyday, often six days a week, and just didn't have the time or energy to be more than superficially involved in a lot of the home decision making. So I'd suggest that stay at home women often assume control because, at least in my experience, the working guy is too busy with earning a living. ( Feel free to reverse the genders if you don't like the way I laid it out. It's equally valid).
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Trump, patientia nostra?

  9. #79
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    "Waaaaahhhhhhh...since the gays can play I'm taking my toys and going home".

    Nobody cares what that geriatric **** thinks.
    Don't you think that you are projecting your own biases?
    The question to me has to do with why does the government care what your personal living arrangements are, or what your sexual persuasions are, and why should the government give out special benefits on the bases of those living arrangements/sexualities?
    What possible concern does government have in this and why?
    Perhaps it is only coming up now because it is so clear now how biased these government benefits are. The LGBT community is right-it is discriminatory to give these special benefits to some but simply giving them to a few percent more people doesn't make it less discriminatory. Many people today are single for life, by choice, by lack of opportunity, or by discriminatory laws that don't allow one to marry a sibling or other relative (platonically or not). Where do they go for relief from discrimination?

  10. #80
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-22-15 @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Yes, angry over the defeat in the supreme court, some republican politicians have gone into crazy mode.

    Representative Steve King says:

    "So I'm calling upon the states, just abolish civil marriage, let's go back to holy matrimony the way it began, do that alone,". "In the next few days I'll be introducing legislation to do just that."


    So what do we think? In a nation that is getting less religious, he wants to abolish the right of people to have a civil marriage purely because he wants to stop gays from marrying.

    Here are a few problems with what he proposes (IMHO)

    1. how is this going to play with the supreme court by discriminating against non-religious people who would be unable to marry anymore due to this fool's possible proposal

    2. and this is a biggie some priests do marry gays and lesbians in a holy matrimony!!!!!!!!!!. So his big plan to make gay marriage impossible is in fact achieving nothing. He is just making a total ass of himself.

    3. the republican party does at some time want another president from their party in the white house because attitudes like this will not go down well with the voters (who are largely in favor of gay marriage).

    Steve King also said: "It's not the will of the people to have same sex marriage, now there's no point in having civil marriage in this country whatsoever,".

    He does have internet right? He does know that the opinion polls show that a big majority of Americans support gay marriage? Or is he just totally out of touch with reality?

    But here is the question, do you agree with republican Steve King, civil marriage has to be abolished in the US in favor of holy matrimony only?
    If; as the supreme court has now ruled, marriage is about the autonomy to love who one chooses, It is a right of all people based on their need to live a dignified life and not a state sanctioned activity designed to promote the states interests, Then yes the state should not be involved in the licensing nor in the ceremonial aspect.

    All legal matters arising from family unions can be handled via private contract. I would be for a plan where states provided standard legal forms for free download that anyone could fill out and submit for filing.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •