View Poll Results: should civil marriage be aboloshed in favor of holy matrimony only?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because it will stop gay marriage

    0 0%
  • Yes, because everybody in the US should be part of a religion

    0 0%
  • Yes, because most people in the US do not want there to be gay marriage

    0 0%
  • Yes, because there should never have been civil marriage in the first place

    6 17.14%
  • No, because gays can also get married in some churches

    8 22.86%
  • No, because people should be free to also have no religion and be able to marry

    26 74.29%
  • No, because most people support gay marriage

    9 25.71%
  • No, because it is right that there is something like civil marriage

    11 31.43%
  • I don't care, I am already married and I do not plan to re-marry

    0 0%
  • I am unmarried and will never marry, I hate being shackled to some man/woman

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 231

Thread: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,092

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Yes, angry over the defeat in the supreme court, some republican politicians have gone into crazy mode.

    Representative Steve King says:

    "So I'm calling upon the states, just abolish civil marriage, let's go back to holy matrimony the way it began, do that alone,". "In the next few days I'll be introducing legislation to do just that."


    So what do we think? In a nation that is getting less religious, he wants to abolish the right of people to have a civil marriage purely because he wants to stop gays from marrying.

    Here are a few problems with what he proposes (IMHO)

    1. how is this going to play with the supreme court by discriminating against non-religious people who would be unable to marry anymore due to this fool's possible proposal

    2. and this is a biggie some priests do marry gays and lesbians in a holy matrimony!!!!!!!!!!. So his big plan to make gay marriage impossible is in fact achieving nothing. He is just making a total ass of himself.

    3. the republican party does at some time want another president from their party in the white house because attitudes like this will not go down well with the voters (who are largely in favor of gay marriage).

    Steve King also said: "It's not the will of the people to have same sex marriage, now there's no point in having civil marriage in this country whatsoever,".

    He does have internet right? He does know that the opinion polls show that a big majority of Americans support gay marriage? Or is he just totally out of touch with reality?

    But here is the question, do you agree with republican Steve King, civil marriage has to be abolished in the US in favor of holy matrimony only?
    I hear he also wants to burn witches in the town square. The guy is a loon.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  2. #32
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Just separate the two. If you want to enter into a "Covenant Marriage" (a religion based marriage), you can do so, but it in no way reflects any legal arrangement, it's simply a covenant between two people based on their religious beliefs and neither the gov't nor any other entity is required to accept it as having any legal standing. If you want to have a civil partnership (a legal structure that grants specific rights and demand specific responsibilities from both parties), then do so. Kind of like a pre-nuptial agreement on steroids that gov'ts and other legal entities are required to recognize. Set legal standards for what a civil partnership means and leave it at that.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  3. #33
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,328
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Make that case to different-sex couples.


    Make sure to tell them that:

    1. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no joint income tax filing which often reduces taxes.

    2. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no Social Security survivor benefits where a non-working spouse (since there would be no legal spouses) is able to draw on their spouses social security once that spouse passes.

    3. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no tax free transfer of property to a spouse (since there would be no legal spouse).

    4. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no automatic legal next of kin status for emergency medical decisions by the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) absent a medical power of attorney.

    5. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no assumed parentage by the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) when a woman give birth to a child meaning the spouse would have to spend hundreds and even thousands of $$$ to adopt their own child.

    6. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage, different-sex couples where the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) is on the other employer health insurance would be operating under the same tax rules as same-sex couples without legal marriage recognition. That being, the employer portion of health insurance above the amount contributed for the "employee only" coverage is treated as taxable income for the employee who then has to pay extra taxes.

    7. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no spousal travel (since their would be no legal spouse) for the husbands and wives of service members who are ordered by the government to relocate their residence either somewhere else in the US or Overseas (unlike civilians military members can't just quit their job) and no medical coverage for spouses of military members.




    Well those are few off the top of my head, ya - go ahead and make the case for the elimination of government recognition of marriage.

    Have fun.



    >>>>
    I'd love to still.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #34
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    19,013

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Does this idiot know that every marriage has civil ramifications, and that most states require all marriage officiators to be civilly registered, including those of a religious bent? A church wedding is a civil marriage with religious optional extras.
    I love the smell of face-palm in the morning!

    "You ain't no Muslim bruv!"

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I wish you were correct. Unfortunately, they do, because of children that are produced in the marriage and not everyone is honorable enough to take care of their kids.

    And that's just one of many reasons why marriage is seen as a civil contract, and why even Martin Luther understood it needed to be so.
    It's not just the children in marriage. Some marriages involve some sacrifice on the part of one spouse in order to benefit the job of the other spouse, which usually involves not being able to get skills or education that makes the spouse unable to actually get a job they can live off of in our economy. It should be used in very limited situations, but that doesn't mean it is something that is completely outdated. Relationships with power differences, huge differences in earning potential do still exist.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #36
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Does this idiot know that every marriage has civil ramifications, and that most states require all marriage officiators to be civilly registered, including those of a religious bent? A church wedding is a civil marriage with religious optional extras.

    Don't think so.

    Seems more like latching onto a talking point without thinking through the ramifications.



    >>>>

  7. #37
    Guru
    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,728
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by lursa View Post
    i voted: "no, because people should be free to also have no religion and be able to marry" but that's only because that's pretty much the current situation and expectation.

    But basically i dont believe the govt should be involved in marriage at all and should not confer any benefits or privileges.
    dingdingdingdingding!

  8. #38
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Make that case to different-sex couples.


    Make sure to tell them that:

    1. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no joint income tax filing which often reduces taxes.

    2. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no Social Security survivor benefits where a non-working spouse (since there would be no legal spouses) is able to draw on their spouses social security once that spouse passes.

    3. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no tax free transfer of property to a spouse (since there would be no legal spouse).

    4. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no automatic legal next of kin status for emergency medical decisions by the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) absent a medical power of attorney.

    5. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no assumed parentage by the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) when a woman give birth to a child meaning the spouse would have to spend hundreds and even thousands of $$$ to adopt their own child.

    6. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage, different-sex couples where the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) is on the other employer health insurance would be operating under the same tax rules as same-sex couples without legal marriage recognition. That being, the employer portion of health insurance above the amount contributed for the "employee only" coverage is treated as taxable income for the employee who then has to pay extra taxes.

    7. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no spousal travel (since their would be no legal spouse) for the husbands and wives of service members who are ordered by the government to relocate their residence either somewhere else in the US or Overseas (unlike civilians military members can't just quit their job) and no medical coverage for spouses of military members.




    Well those are few off the top of my head, ya - go ahead and make the case for the elimination of government recognition of marriage.

    Have fun.

    >>>>
    I dont care. If a couple wanted those things, they could enlist a lawyer to work it out for them. Most of them anyway. I'm single and dont get the the tax breaks, etc.

    But yes, govt involvement in marriage is here to stay and I'm not losing any sleep over it.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    11-27-16 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,556

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Limiting Civil Marriage to being based on only recognizing ceremonies performed by religious organizations will not stop gays from getting married.

    Churches and other religious organizations have been marrying same-sex couples for decades.


    It would violate the constitution though because it would exclude atheist from being able to enter in to the same legal relationship.


    >>>>
    You are right, that is exactly why I said it in the posting I started this thread with, in a country that "looses it's religion" more and more, only honoring religious weddings would make it impossible for atheists/agnostics to marry.
    If his own campaign does not trust him with a twitter account, how can anyone trust Donald Trump with the nuclear codes?

  10. #40
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    11-27-16 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,556

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Government should get out of marriage period.
    No, it should not. Everybody has the right to marry, including non-religious people.
    If his own campaign does not trust him with a twitter account, how can anyone trust Donald Trump with the nuclear codes?

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •