View Poll Results: should civil marriage be aboloshed in favor of holy matrimony only?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because it will stop gay marriage

    0 0%
  • Yes, because everybody in the US should be part of a religion

    0 0%
  • Yes, because most people in the US do not want there to be gay marriage

    0 0%
  • Yes, because there should never have been civil marriage in the first place

    6 17.14%
  • No, because gays can also get married in some churches

    8 22.86%
  • No, because people should be free to also have no religion and be able to marry

    26 74.29%
  • No, because most people support gay marriage

    9 25.71%
  • No, because it is right that there is something like civil marriage

    11 31.43%
  • I don't care, I am already married and I do not plan to re-marry

    0 0%
  • I am unmarried and will never marry, I hate being shackled to some man/woman

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 231

Thread: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

  1. #21
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States


  2. #22
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Well, the powers that be have decided that "the family is the cornerstone of the country and needs tax breaks". And making it no longer civil marriage will not change the fact that married people will get tax breaks because the "holy matrimony" talked about here does not exclude that. King does not want to stop people getting tax breaks, he wants to stop gays getting married, that is the whole point of this proposal he wants to introduce in congress. Only church weddings are allowed in future to prevent gays from marrying in front of a judge or non-religious marriage service.

    Limiting Civil Marriage to being based on only recognizing ceremonies performed by religious organizations will not stop gays from getting married.

    Churches and other religious organizations have been marrying same-sex couples for decades.


    It would violate the constitution though because it would exclude atheist from being able to enter in to the same legal relationship.


    >>>>

  3. #23
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    14,412

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Yes, angry over the defeat in the supreme court, some republican politicians have gone into crazy mode.
    Steve King has spent his entire adult life in "crazy mode".
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,271

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Actually, I've been saying this for years. Civil marriage is ridiculous and should have no place in society. My reasoning is different though..... I'm a single guy, and I pay taxes. If I were a married guy, I would pay less taxes. That, to me, isn't fair... and for that reason and that reason alone, I don't believe the government (especially the IRS) should be involved in marriage
    Ah the 'I have no one to play with so ya'll can't play' school of thought.

    If you ever convince someone of equal or opposite sex to wed, you'll appreciate the tax bennies of marriage and dependents as a family isn't cheap to raise and wages rarely are boosted per child...

    I'd wager a shiny nickel you'd be one of the first ones to decry removing the tax bennies if you did marry as you seem far more self centered than willing to understand something called the greater good.

    Are you planning on staying single or is it a temporary condition you want the entire tax code to be changed for?

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,271

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Civil courts should have nothing to do with marriage. The entire concept of alimony is garbage. No adult should have to give another adult human being a weekly allowance.... the entire concept is so dated and sexist it's ridiculous. A relationship is between two people and two people alone.... and, if they want, their church/synagogue/god/etc. The government really doesn't belong in the discussion.
    You seem quite focused on yourself and being cheap. Marriage is between two people- until it is three or more people. Some of us call the additions children, dependents or tax breaks given your POV. Dunno how much the dreaded government is tasked with deciding alimony but do know it has a full plate getting dads to play for their kids once the marriage ends. The term dead beat dad isn't dated, sexist...

    Try to expand your POV to include more situations...

  6. #26
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,457

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Yes, angry over the defeat in the supreme court, some republican politicians have gone into crazy mode.

    Representative Steve King says:

    "So I'm calling upon the states, just abolish civil marriage, let's go back to holy matrimony the way it began, do that alone,". "In the next few days I'll be introducing legislation to do just that."


    So what do we think? In a nation that is getting less religious, he wants to abolish the right of people to have a civil marriage purely because he wants to stop gays from marrying.

    Here are a few problems with what he proposes (IMHO)

    1. how is this going to play with the supreme court by discriminating against non-religious people who would be unable to marry anymore due to this fool's possible proposal

    2. and this is a biggie some priests do marry gays and lesbians in a holy matrimony!!!!!!!!!!. So his big plan to make gay marriage impossible is in fact achieving nothing. He is just making a total ass of himself.

    3. the republican party does at some time want another president from their party in the white house because attitudes like this will not go down well with the voters (who are largely in favor of gay marriage).

    Steve King also said: "It's not the will of the people to have same sex marriage, now there's no point in having civil marriage in this country whatsoever,".

    He does have internet right? He does know that the opinion polls show that a big majority of Americans support gay marriage? Or is he just totally out of touch with reality?

    But here is the question, do you agree with republican Steve King, civil marriage has to be abolished in the US in favor of holy matrimony only?
    I do mostly agree with him, but not because of his homophobic nonsense. I have been involved with helping the cause of SSM. But only because it's the only way, in our current system, for same-sex couples to access all of their family and financial rights.

    It should never have been this way in the first place. Marriage was a purely social institution in America initially. And why did it change?

    So the government could ban interracial marriage, and cut off access to familial rights for these couples. That's why.

    Government marriage has been an institution of bigotry since its inception. It was created for the sole purpose of crippling families that the government and society disagreed with. It should be abolished, and legal agreements that strengthen families completely separated from marital status (which is a purely self-assigned social designation, not any more dependent upon religion than it is upon government -- and that is where I disagree with him).

    People should have absolutely free access to assign their familial and financial rights to whomever they please -- even non-romantic partners, or different rights to different partners. It is THEIR family, and neither the government nor popular opinion have any business assigning themselves the role of judge and jury of whether other people's families are allowed to exist.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 07-02-15 at 07:30 AM.

  7. #27
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    What exactly is "holy matrimony"?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #28
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What exactly is "holy matrimony"?

    The marriage of two people blessed by a religious organization. The specifics vary depending on the religious organization involved.




    Some organizations bless only one man and one woman - for them that is "holy matrimony".

    Other organizations bless one man & one woman, one man & one man, one woman & one woman - for them that is "holy matrimony".

    Other organizations bless one man and multiple women - for them that is "holy matrimony".




    >>>>

  9. #29
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,191
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Government should get out of marriage period.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #30
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Republican Steve King wants an abolish civil marriage in the United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Government should get out of marriage period.

    Make that case to different-sex couples.


    Make sure to tell them that:

    1. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no joint income tax filing which often reduces taxes.

    2. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no Social Security survivor benefits where a non-working spouse (since there would be no legal spouses) is able to draw on their spouses social security once that spouse passes.

    3. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no tax free transfer of property to a spouse (since there would be no legal spouse).

    4. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no automatic legal next of kin status for emergency medical decisions by the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) absent a medical power of attorney.

    5. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no assumed parentage by the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) when a woman give birth to a child meaning the spouse would have to spend hundreds and even thousands of $$$ to adopt their own child.

    6. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage, different-sex couples where the spouse (since there would be no legal spouse) is on the other employer health insurance would be operating under the same tax rules as same-sex couples without legal marriage recognition. That being, the employer portion of health insurance above the amount contributed for the "employee only" coverage is treated as taxable income for the employee who then has to pay extra taxes.

    7. With no government recognition of Civil Marriage there will be no spousal travel (since their would be no legal spouse) for the husbands and wives of service members who are ordered by the government to relocate their residence either somewhere else in the US or Overseas (unlike civilians military members can't just quit their job) and no medical coverage for spouses of military members.




    Well those are few off the top of my head, ya - go ahead and make the case for the elimination of government recognition of marriage.

    Have fun.



    >>>>

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •