View Poll Results: Did this officer act appropriately?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 13.33%
  • No

    13 86.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Did this police officer act correctly?

  1. #11
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't blame the cop. The guy had an opportunity to tell the cop he was carrying and didn't do so. THE COP SAW THE GUN. "Oh, by the way, sir, do you have a license to carry that firearm?" Really? You expect a cop to do that?

    I don't. He did just fine.
    I disagree Maggie. As per the OP, in Florida there is no duty for the license holder to inform law enforcement. Take a gander at one of the Alaska State Trooper shows to see how they deal with it. This aint that and the officer here gets it wrong.
    Roberts wrote: "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. ... But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,343
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I disagree Maggie. As per the OP, in Florida there is no duty for the license holder to inform law enforcement. Take a gander at one of the Alaska State Trooper shows to see how they deal with it. This aint that and the officer gets it wrong.
    The point is that the officer saw the gum. Now it's not even properly concealed, right? If we, the collective we, are expecting officers to ASSUME when they see a gun in someone's waistband that its LEGAL? I think the collective we is nuts.


    Thank you, Quazi!

  3. #13
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,075

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This cop should have been fired, IMO. You can't just go around mistreating law-abiding citizens. The cop was freaking out over a gun, but the man was clearly not being aggressive toward the officer.
    The cop overreacted quite a bit but unless he had a habit of freaking out I can't say he should be fired based on just what we saw in the video.

  4. #14
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,064

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't blame the cop. The guy had an opportunity to tell the cop he was carrying and didn't do so. THE COP SAW THE GUN. "Oh, by the way, sir, do you have a license to carry that firearm?" Really? You expect a cop to do that?

    I don't. He did just fine.
    Aside from the f-bombs, I have no problem with the officer's actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #15
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,075

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The point is that the officer saw the gum. Now it's not even properly concealed, right? If we, the collective we, are expecting officers to ASSUME when they see a gun in someone's waistband that its LEGAL? I think the collective we is nuts.

    Maggie, if you carry on a regular basis I GUARANTEE that you'll end up exposing your sidearm from time to time. The only way to prevent that from happening is to wear it in such a way that it's generally inaccessible which is useless. Concealed carry laws that prohibit any kind of exposure are ridiculous.

    -edit-

    Why would it be "nuts" to expect the cop to assume your sidearm is legal? Aren't we all entitled to the presumption of innocence?

  6. #16
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The point is that the officer saw the gum. Now it's not even properly concealed, right? If we, the collective we, are expecting officers to ASSUME when they see a gun in someone's waistband that its LEGAL? I think the collective we is nuts.
    Once again, there are many states where concealed carry is legal. Heck, they pretty much assume everyone is armed when they do a stop in Alaska. The guy was very cooperative with the officer. All the officer needed to do, which he didn't btw, was to secure the fellow and the gun until he cleared up the licensing. He didn't need to order him to the ground, nor did he need to threaten him.
    Roberts wrote: "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. ... But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

  7. #17
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,343
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Maggie, if you carry on a regular basis I GUARANTEE that you'll end up exposing your sidearm from time to time. The only way to prevent that from happening is to wear it in such a way that it's generally inaccessible which is useless. Concealed carry laws that prohibit any kind of exposure are ridiculous.
    That's why I bought that Sneaky Pete. Don't even have to cover it. Oh, and I was taught in my CC class to always let the cop know you're both LICENSED to carry and IF you're carrying. (Nothing worse than a Smarty Pants Newbie.)

    Just save your edit: What's the matter with me that I can understand a cop wanting to make it home alive after his shift so bad that he wouldn't assume?


    Thank you, Quazi!

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,075

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That's why I bought that Sneaky Pete. Don't even have to cover it. Oh, and I was taught in my CC class to always let the cop know you're both LICENSED to carry and IF you're carrying. (Nothing worse than a Smarty Pants Newbie.)
    That's probably good advice for Illinois. Out here I figure they'd just look at you funny.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The point is that the officer saw the gum. Now it's not even properly concealed, right? If we, the collective we, are expecting officers to ASSUME when they see a gun in someone's waistband that its LEGAL? I think the collective we is nuts.
    Couldn't he have asked for the CCW permit after he got control of the situation? Instead, he got the guy to the ground, cuffed him, got him in the patrol car, arrested him and took him in.

    The whole thing seemed excessive and over the top to me. I can sympathize with an officer who legitimately thinks there's a threat to his life wanting to get the suspect on the ground and get control of the situation. But once that was established...

  10. #20
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 10:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Did this police officer act correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That's why I bought that Sneaky Pete. Don't even have to cover it. Oh, and I was taught in my CC class to always let the cop know you're both LICENSED to carry and IF you're carrying. (Nothing worse than a Smarty Pants Newbie.)

    Just save your edit: What's the matter with me that I can understand a cop wanting to make it home alive after his shift so bad that he wouldn't assume?
    Threatening to shoot a man in the back and illegally detaining him is "wanting to make it home alive"? I think that worry more belongs to the man that had the gun pointed at him, maybe I'm wrong though
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •