View Poll Results: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after elections?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 25.00%
  • No

    3 75.00%
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after elections?

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after elections?

    I say all the time, politics can suck but it beats anything else out there (in terms of governance.) One thing that disappointing among many, is the legal shenanigans and manipulation that goes on in politics. Wouldn't it be great if after each election the public got to see and hear all campaign strategy meetings, focus group questions and results. Everything from all sides including Super PACs must go public after each election under penalty of criminal prosecution. Meetings, focus groups, debate prep videotaped. Everything else must have minutes maintained and copies surrendered after the election.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 10:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after electio

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I say all the time, politics can suck but it beats anything else out there (in terms of governance.) One thing that disappointing among many, is the legal shenanigans and manipulation that goes on in politics. Wouldn't it be great if after each election the public got to see and hear all campaign strategy meetings, focus group questions and results. Everything from all sides including Super PACs must go public after each election under penalty of criminal prosecution. Meetings, focus groups, debate prep videotaped. Everything else must have minutes maintained and copies surrendered after the election.
    I could see this devolving into who can be more prim and proper in front of a camera than the other; like it already is just more drawn out and annoying. I vote no
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,446

    Re: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after electio

    i vote for superpac donation records to be made public. we should know who is buying what.

  4. #4
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after electio

    What Constitutional right does the government have to this?
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,892

    Re: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after electio

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I say all the time, politics can suck but it beats anything else out there (in terms of governance.) One thing that disappointing among many, is the legal shenanigans and manipulation that goes on in politics. Wouldn't it be great if after each election the public got to see and hear all campaign strategy meetings, focus group questions and results. Everything from all sides including Super PACs must go public after each election under penalty of criminal prosecution. Meetings, focus groups, debate prep videotaped. Everything else must have minutes maintained and copies surrendered after the election.
    I am not sure of the consequences of making all minutes immediately public. I tend to believe transparency does improve decision making and policy. There is, however, a destabilizing element to be weighed. The same is true of politics (or business) in general, where everything should be recorded as a basis for later objectivity on what really occurred. Here the decision, where recordings and minutes are made, they are not published immediately.

  6. #6
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after electio

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i vote for superpac donation records to be made public. we should know who is buying what.
    Why would this have a significant impact on Super PAC donations? Transparency as to who is buying what does not make the problem itself go away. Take the Koch brothers for example: a large amount of activism has exposed the fact that these billionaires manipulate elections through donating to politicians who protect their interests. Although this may cause some disapproval among more politically oriented active voters, it fails to make apathetic voters aware of the problem, because the fact that the information is there doesn't mean that everyone is going to utilize it. Nor does it address the fact that the Koch brothers still have a large amount of control in who wins elections in the first place. Campaign finance reform needs to include public funding of elections, an outright ban on Super PACs, and ideally banning private campaign donations altogether.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,446

    Re: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after electio

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Why would this have a significant impact on Super PAC donations? Transparency as to who is buying what does not make the problem itself go away. Take the Koch brothers for example: a large amount of activism has exposed the fact that these billionaires manipulate elections through donating to politicians who protect their interests. Although this may cause some disapproval among more politically oriented active voters, it fails to make apathetic voters aware of the problem, because the fact that the information is there doesn't mean that everyone is going to utilize it. Nor does it address the fact that the Koch brothers still have a large amount of control in who wins elections in the first place. Campaign finance reform needs to include public funding of elections, an outright ban on Super PACs, and ideally banning private campaign donations altogether.
    it would mean that when the superpacs start coming out against a candidate or against an issue in force, we would know who is buying the air time. that's useful information.

  8. #8
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Should campaings be required to keep and turn over campaign minutes after electio

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it would mean that when the superpacs start coming out against a candidate or against an issue in force, we would know who is buying the air time. that's useful information.
    It is, and transparency in Super PACs would be better than the status quo. Knowing who is buying the airtime doesn't do anything to reduce the influence of the Super PACs themselves and the wealthy donors that fund them though.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •