View Poll Results: Select all that apply

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • A clerk that refuses to issue a marriage license to a same sex couple because they are a Christian.

    50 92.59%
  • A clerk that refuses to issue a permit to a slaughterhouse because they are a Buddhist.

    50 92.59%
  • A clerk that refuses to issue a liquor license because they are a Muslim.

    52 96.30%
  • A clerk that refuses to issue a drilling permit because they are a wiccan.

    49 90.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 218

Thread: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

  1. #101
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,007

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Where did this happen? Have a link to show me where a Muslim got at job with the Alcohol Beverage Board and where he is refusing to give out liquor licenses?
    I have no idea whether its happened or not. I find it amazing that we have public employees that are saying they are going to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples despite the fact those couples can be legally married. I merely gave the Muslim refusing to issue Liquor License example to point out the shear absurdity of it.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #102
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,756

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, no. Federal and state laws actually do have some say in whether or not certain employees can refuse to give you certain licenses or government paperwork based on your race, religion, sex, etc.

    What is to prevent a state employee from refusing to issue a birth certificate to a same sex couple for their child?
    In fact, what's to stop an entire state office from refusing to do so, we are seeing it in some places in the south where it isn't just an employee who is refusing, it's everyone. Then what?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #103
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,756

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Will you stop with these idiotic posts that are quoting me? You're babbling about Sundays and weekends and people getting religious after they are hired and going to church. You are so off topic it's painful. Stop quoting me.
    Please stop posting then. Anything you say is fair game. Don't like it, don't give them anything to quote.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #104
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Please stop posting then. Anything you say is fair game. Don't like it, don't give them anything to quote.
    True, I can't help it if people post stupid things because they don't understand simple posts.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #105
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,756

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    True, I can't help it if people post stupid things because they don't understand simple posts.
    Nor can others help it if you post stupid things they have to respond to. Ordering others to stop quoting you is, however, absurd.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #106
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    None of the above if there is someone else who can cover for him/her. If he/she is the ultimate decision maker than I think he/she should be removed or transferred.

    I have 10 people who work for me and there have been times and different reasons that they can't/won't work with a customer. I get someone else to cover. It isn't a big deal.
    Are you the manager of a government organization, department, etc?

    The difference is all the above are government functions.

    If you work for the government, you provide the services of which you are required, regardless of your personal religious beliefs.

    Your religion is between you and your deity......You have no right to force others to behave in a manner you see fit due to them.

  7. #107
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I have no idea whether its happened or not. I find it amazing that we have public employees that are saying they are going to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples despite the fact those couples can be legally married. I merely gave the Muslim refusing to issue Liquor License example to point out the shear absurdity of it.
    So then the entire thread could have simply said this:

    Do you think someone should get concessions at work for religious views or not?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #108
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,975

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I have no idea whether its happened or not. I find it amazing that we have public employees that are saying they are going to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples despite the fact those couples can be legally married. I merely gave the Muslim refusing to issue Liquor License example to point out the shear absurdity of it.
    I want to be clear that I haven't been following this whole SSM issue much. I know the Supremes made a ruling on the issue recently, but I wasn't aware that any public employees have said they are going to do what you say they will.

    Do you have a link to some news article or something that can give me more info?
    TANSTAAFL

    “Certain types of loudmouthism should be a capital offense among decent people.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

  9. #109
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Are you the manager of a government organization, department, etc?

    The difference is all the above are government functions.

    If you work for the government, you provide the services of which you are required, regardless of your personal religious beliefs.

    Your religion is between you and your deity......You have no right to force others to behave in a manner you see fit due to them.
    No, just a senior manager in a company with over 30,000 worldwide employees, and someone who doesn't detest people with religious beliefs. If I worked for a government agency and I had a great employee I'd probably do the same thing. I'm one of those non-compassionate conservative types.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #110
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: Which of the following hypothetical public employees should be fired?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    No, just a senior manager in a company with over 30,000 worldwide employees, and someone who doesn't detest people with religious beliefs. If I worked for a government agency and I had a great employee I'd probably do the same thing. I'm one of those non-compassionate conservative types.
    And I have no problem with that either..

    However, I do have a problem with people working for the government and bringing their religion into government service, where it does not belong.

    Which is why, I am probably NOT going to vote at all in the Presidential election that is upcoming. I disagree with all the Democrats and all the republicans are right ready to Preside over our government using their own personal religious beliefs and holding the rest of us to them.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •