View Poll Results: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 24.14%
  • No

    44 75.86%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 179

Thread: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

  1. #21
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,699

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pozessed View Post
    big·ot
    ˈbiɡət/
    noun
    noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots

    a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

    My experiences tell me yes, all people who strictly try to follow ancient religions are bigots. I'm curious of other peoples opinions on this.

    Most people who generalize with "ALL" are truly bigots.

    I have never seen any group, family, tribe, race, religion, sect, or club where the word "all" would apply to anything other than membership.

    With your logic I could say all leftists hate religion and are therefor bigots.

    Have a nice time wrapping your head around some basic Boulian logic.
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  2. #22
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,227

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Absolutely they are, by definition. That doesn't mean that they want to harm others necessarily, but all of them think that people of other belief systems are wrong and many think that's going to send those people to eternal damnation. How is that not being a bigot?
    because that's merely an opinion. It's when they start acting on those beliefs to oppress that they become bigots

  3. #23
    #NeverHillary
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,751
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Right, their intolerance of intolerance shows their intolerance and is intolerable...
    Yeah, well, something like that.
    Nancy Pelosi said: “We have to pass it, to find out what’s in it.” A Doctor called to a radio show & said: "That's the definition of a stool sample"
    "Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket," Barack Obama January 2008

  4. #24
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Most people who generalize with "ALL" are truly bigots.

    I have never seen any group, family, tribe, race, religion, sect, or club where the word "all" would apply to anything other than membership.

    With your logic I could say all leftists hate religion and are therefor bigots.

    Have a nice time wrapping your head around some basic Boulian logic.
    Notice the word strict also.

    People who are strict on their religious practices would be bigots. For example, a person who feels women have no rights because their religion forbids it.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,252

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    because that's merely an opinion. It's when they start acting on those beliefs to oppress that they become bigots
    It's not just an opinion. An opinion is "I like chocolate ice cream". This is a claim about the state of objective reality. That's like saying gravity is an opinion. It is not.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  6. #26
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,667

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pozessed View Post
    big·ot
    ˈbiɡət/
    noun
    noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots

    a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

    My experiences tell me yes, all people who strictly try to follow ancient religions are bigots. I'm curious of other peoples opinions on this.
    Taking this definition at face value, no, not anymore than non-religious people.
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  7. #27
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,252

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    So that is what makes them bigoted?
    Definition of the word:

    big·ot
    ˈbiɡət/
    noun
    a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #28
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,699

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pozessed View Post
    Notice the word strict also.

    People who are strict on their religious practices would be bigots. For example, a person who feels women have no rights because their religion forbids it.


    We are somewhat off the topic, but yes all religions have their orthodoxies....in the Sikh faith they fight over whether to allow tables and chairs in Temples.

    Bigotry to one degree or another exists in all of us. What is not acceptable is calling an entire group of anything bigots, it add hypocrisy and arrogance to the equation.
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  9. #29
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,921

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Definition of the word:

    big·ot
    ˈbiɡət/
    noun
    a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions
    Do you consider yourself a bigot?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #30
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,401

    Re: Are People Of Religious Faith Typically Bigots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Only the extremists and fanatics.
    Why don't you define that for us.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •