View Poll Results: Would we as a country be better of if there had been no slavery here?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 88.89%
  • No

    2 11.11%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 130

Thread: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

  1. #71
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Some of Obamas relatives were slave owners according to an article I read.
    Historically speaking there's really no reason why that couldn't be true. Slave owners did have sex with their slaves, so the idea that Obama could be related to slave owners is hardly crazy.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Historically speaking there's really no reason why that couldn't be true. Slave owners did have sex with their slaves, so the idea that Obama could be related to slave owners is hardly crazy.
    Why would they have to have relations with slaves for this to be true? None of Obama's ancestors were slaves.

  3. #73
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Why would they have to have relations with slaves for this to be true?
    If it a person's slave great great great grandmother had sex with her owner and she has his baby, then that slave owner would be an ancestor (relative) of the descendent. In fairness to you, I must have misunderstood your question if I thought you needed to have that whole procreation process explained to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    None of Obama's ancestors were slaves.
    It's possible that's not true.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/us...ests.html?_r=0

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If it a person's slave great great great grandmother had sex with her owner and she has his baby, then that slave owner would be an ancestor (relative) of the descendent. In fairness to you, I must have misunderstood your question if I thought you needed to have that whole procreation process explained to you.



    It's possible that's not true.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/us...ests.html?_r=0
    Lets not get too into the weeds, white people dont get to say they are down with the stuggle because a great great great half uncle was part slave.

    Obama's black side came from Kenya, so no slavery.

    His white side, was ethnically white.

    I dont think we need to get into red herrings here, do you think it helps your argument?

  5. #75
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Lets not get too into the weeds, white people dont get to say they are down with the stuggle because a great great great half uncle was part slave.

    Obama's black side came from Kenya, so no slavery.

    His white side, was ethnically white.

    I dont think we need to get into red herrings here, do you think it helps your argument?
    Obama has caucasian in him, he has Kenyan in him, and if the genealogists are right then he has black slave ancestry in him. How you choose to spin that information (and we all know you will) is entirely up to you.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Obama has caucasian in him, he has Kenyan in him, and if the genealogists are right then he has black slave ancestry in him. How you choose to spin that information (and we all know you will) is entirely up to you.
    Cool story bro. One thing we can both be sure of, Obama has never spun that information, has he?

  7. #77
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Cool story bro. One thing we can both be sure of, Obama has never spun that information, has he?
    What part of what I said is the "story?"

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What part of what I said is the "story?"
    You tell me homie.


  9. #79
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    37,168

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    No, of course not. We have our share of welfare takers here in a county that is less than 2% black. I would venture to say many are multi generational as well. But for as good as they have it, there sure does seem to be a lot of complaining of it not being enough, and that lack of perspective of what life would be like over there doesn't help.
    No, it doesn't help. While the slaves were no doubt worse off for having been captured and sold by their fellow villagers, their descendants are much better off than they would have been had they been born in one of the nations of Africa.
    Can't we just turn Congress off and then turn it back on again?



  10. #80
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    08-12-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Would we all be better off if we had never had slaves?

    I believe we would all be better off if the notion of one person owning another had never sprung into existence anywhere on Earth ever.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •