View Poll Results: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the issue is settled

    33 51.56%
  • No, there's lots yet to discuss/debate

    27 42.19%
  • Not sure

    2 3.13%
  • What's SSM?

    2 3.13%
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 246

Thread: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

  1. #31
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,519

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, they're socially something... I'm not sure liberal is quite the correct term. Most of them seem to be as big on individual liberty as any libertarian; at the same time they're also in favor of substantial social programs for those struggling economically. One might say they are as much left-libertarian as liberal-progressive, depending on the issue. Yet in some ways they seem conservative on certain specific issues. They may be "something new under the sun" that doesn't really quite fit into any of the pigeonholes into which we've grown accustomed to stuffing people.
    Like I said before it is called welfare-state liberalism. Classical liberal social values combined with a welfare state that creates equality of opportunity.

  2. #32
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist
    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    40,719

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Not at all a dead issue. SSM is an integral part of the American outrage and shock at the Liberal devastation wreaked in the past ten years on the country that was America, along with open borders, unchecked immigration, foreign colonization, the rise of radical jihad, the Liberal destruction of the military, etc., etc. After last week, people look at the Supreme Court and wonder what happened to reason in America.

    The coming homosexual gloating and endless "In your face" disgusting celebrations are going to fuel the rage and anger in this country far beyond what we've seen before.
    I don't mean to be flippant but maybe people just need to build a bridge and get over it. The the reality of the situation is this will not be undone - ever. Seems to me that the healthier thing to do would be to accept that, and if you're personally opposed to SSM, don't personally participate in one. Continuing to tie oneself up in angry knots is only going to encourage continuation of what we've seen so far.

  3. #33
    Guru
    it's just me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And the people in these debates who didn't get what they want are, what, sharing apple pie recipes?
    They are not saying much of anything from what I can see. How many of them started an argument like this one?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...us-ruling.html (Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?)

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    07-02-15 @ 11:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    61

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, they're socially something... I'm not sure liberal is quite the correct term. Most of them seem to be as big on individual liberty as any libertarian; at the same time they're also in favor of substantial social programs for those struggling economically. One might say they are as much left-libertarian as liberal-progressive, depending on the issue. Yet in some ways they seem conservative on certain specific issues. They may be "something new under the sun" that doesn't really quite fit into any of the pigeonholes into which we've grown accustomed to stuffing people.
    They seem to be socially liberal because they are. Rightist Libertarians like to often forget that many Libertarians are economically Left leaning and not economically right leaning. Libertarians as a whole seem to think it's viewed as a rightist slant when younger generations definitely don't see it that way. Just look at what younger generations of socially liberal (or libertarian if you prefer) Americans align with:

    Pro gay marriage in every poll in huge majorities

    Pro marijuana legalization in huge majorities in every poll

    Non Religious and or less religious

    More friendly to Left economic policy and or social benefits (directly contradicting traditional Libertarian political thought)

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,999

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Generally the pattern in countries that have already legalized SSM is that the center-right parties declare that it is a settled issue and they won't fight it, and then when no politicians are fighting it, approval skyrockets to around 80%. The Tea Party might take some convincing, but I feel like that will be the pattern here as well. However, gay rights as a whole still has many goals to achieve, and we can't forget about LGBT rights because of this.


    Proof of concept.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #36
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist
    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    40,719

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    It's too good for making political hay of. I imagine there are some who are disappointed that it has been settled, not because they didn't support SSM but because it took away their political football to some degree.


    So they'll look for a way to keep it in play and continue scoring political points off it. On both sides, no doubt.
    What you're saying makes sense. It will be interesting to see if it's one side or the other that more wants to keep perpetuating the argument or if it's about equal. That is something I truly don't know.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,999

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rationality View Post
    They seem to be socially liberal because they are. Rightist Libertarians like to often forget that many Libertarians are economically Left leaning and not economically right leaning. Libertarians as a whole seem to think it's viewed as a rightist slant when younger generations definitely don't see it that way. Just look at what younger generations of socially liberal (or libertarian if you prefer) Americans align with:

    Pro gay marriage in every poll in huge majorities

    Pro marijuana legalization in huge majorities in every poll

    Non Religious and or less religious

    More friendly to Left economic policy and or social benefits (directly contradicting traditional Libertarian political thought)

    Not arguing the particulars that you noted; just that I'd be hesitant to pigeonhole them as "liberal" if that means assuming they are committed to the Democrat party and all its planks and positions... they seem far less attached to party identity or ideology to me, and more concerned with getting what they want regardless of the political label normally attached to the position.


    Just my thoughts and observations, as a middle-aged man who has been studying the rising teens-and-twentysomethings for some while now... they're a very different breed than Boomers or X/Y'ers. Less ideological and more pragmatic.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #38
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Just because the issue is settled doesn't stop the religious asshats and hate-mongers from whining about it and threatening to ignore the law.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  9. #39
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,537

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    They are not saying much of anything from what I can see. How many of them started an argument like this one?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...us-ruling.html (Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?)
    Your participation in this thread is a part of what's keeping it alive. We know you didn't pop by just to ask for gardening tips.

  10. #40
    Guru
    it's just me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Your participation in this thread is a part of what's keeping it alive. We know you didn't pop by just to ask for gardening tips.
    Proof of concept. I am sure you don't believe that you're keeping it alive by posting in this thread.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •