View Poll Results: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the issue is settled

    33 51.56%
  • No, there's lots yet to discuss/debate

    27 42.19%
  • Not sure

    2 3.13%
  • What's SSM?

    2 3.13%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 246

Thread: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Seen
    08-04-15 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    981

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Not precisely, but it's clear from his teachings that unless people repent of their sins (including fornication, adultery, gay sex sin), and receive him for salvation, they're screwed (Luke 13:3, John 3:36, John 14:6, Acts 4:12, Revelation 21:8, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, etc.).

    Don't leave earth without him.
    I notice with the gospel extracts Jesus doesn't mention sex.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,215

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
    I notice with the gospel extracts Jesus doesn't mention sex.
    He never approved of gay marriage either.

    Jesus is God. As God, Jesus is the one who gave Moses the Levitical law against gay sexual relations to begin with; and he’s the one who inspires all Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16), including prohibitions against gay sexual relations in Romans 1:26-27 and I Corinthians 6:9-10, etc.

    It’s also worth noting that Jesus didn’t mention wife beating or other sins such as pedophilia either, and there are not many folks who would argue he approved of those behaviors. So Jesus was under no obligation to reiterate the moral laws against homosexual sin that already existed, unless there were clarifications to be made.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Seen
    08-04-15 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    981

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    He never approved of gay marriage either.

    Jesus is God. As God, Jesus is the one who gave Moses the Levitical law against gay sexual relations to begin with; and heís the one who inspires all Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16), including prohibitions against gay sexual relations in Romans 1:26-27 and I Corinthians 6:9-10, etc.

    Itís also worth noting that Jesus didnít mention wife beating or other sins such as pedophilia either, and there are not many folks who would argue he approved of those behaviors. So Jesus was under no obligation to reiterate the moral laws against homosexual sin that already existed, unless there were clarifications to be made.
    I'm sure if Jesus was here in flesh today he'd say, gay life is not the way to go. It will be an unwholesome life, and you won't be satisfied, but if it's the only way you can have love then ok. I forgive you for hurting yourself.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,215

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
    I'm sure if Jesus was here in flesh today he'd say, gay life is not the way to go. It will be an unwholesome life, and you won't be satisfied, but if it's the only way you can have love then ok. I forgive you for hurting yourself.
    People are hurting themselves when they refuse Jesus and the Holy Spirit, who can set them free.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  5. #205
    Godwin's Lawyer
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    <facepalm>

    The Apostle John wrote it, and not the Baptist. Which shows what you know about it.
    Revelation was written by God, doncha know? Whoever's hand was moving at the time is irrelevant.

  6. #206
    Godwin's Lawyer
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    This post is your shortest, so I'm just gonna quote it and then go from there.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Well that's an interesting split. You have far more respect for a faith that you perceive as being far more intolerant, malicious, and bloodthirsty? Do you value those traits?

    You get people in the church who abuse sexuality, sure. Christians are sinners who fall prey to temptation just like everyone else. The point, however, was as a matter of belief.

    Well enough. Why - however - would you say that?

    Oh yes. Because if there is anything that has been just awesome for America, it's the break up of the family. Children of single parents and children of divorce do awesome.

    well, again, the most conservative churches on this issue are the ones that are more broadly retaining or growing their membership.

    Interesting. So your answer is that you can't know until you've done it. Except that that is not a rational construct at all - it is an experiential one, perhaps, though it seems far more emotional. But shouldn't you be able to explain rational reasons why something is good and why you should act good that would be apparent and available to all, if your claims about the nature of morality and reason are correct?

    That's interesting - that's not what I've seen at all. The vast majority of the folks who leave are the ones who were fringe / apathetic to begin with.


    0. Looks like we're gonna have to agree to disagree about the block-quoting-vs-outlining thing.
    1. "Christian bullies." You're right. Many of you are. Thanks, I'm going to use that phrase more.
    2. Newton gave us physics; Mendel gave us genetics (a cornerstone of evolution, BTW); John Locke (right?) was a liberal who, according to the Wikipedia page, greatly influenced Voltaire. In all cases, these men helped give us a great gift: Reliance on reason and open-minded inquiry, not dogma and superstition. As another Christian scientist (not to be confused with the denomination) once said: "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use."
    3. You didn't define what postmodernism was. And what is your deal with relativism. You really think that everything in life is cut-and-dry, black-and-white, right-or-wrong? If so, then I almost guarantee you that no matter what claim of morality you make short of "Thou shalt not nuke the entire planet," it cannot necessarily be 100% defended. For example, don't commit murder? OK, what about self-defense? Where is the threshold between justifiable and criminal homicide? We've already had multiple, bitter debates surrounding instances where that very question was at stake.
    (3.1) And here you go again with the snark. Put it where the sun don't shine, Will. It is categorically not welcome. I don't understand how much clearer I can make that for you.
    (3.2) OK, since you didn't catch my tip the first time, let me clearly spell this out: Our believing in "if it feels good, do it" is a massive strawman. Lose it already. And your lecture of delayed gratification, when I have seen some conservatives struggle with this too, is neither necessary nor welcome.
    (3.3) Yet again, get the plank out of your eye so you can see the speck in mine.
    4. OMG STOP LYING. You are harping on a point that I DID NOT MAKE. Stop lying already. See this is why I can't respect your beliefs, Will. You occasionally toss out something that I could work with, and then you pull this ****. Furthermore, it is pure hypocrisy on your part when you are either unwilling or unable to obey the Ninth Commandment, which, as a Christian, is one of your ten basic rules.
    5. Christianity is dying out in America. I am not going to let this go until you get it. That is a fact, will, a cold, hard fact that you are deliberately and intentionally choosing not to accept.
    (5.1) You shift from blaming the entire public education system to blaming a couple of "low-quality videos"?! HA! Alright, fine, Creationist Cat's videos are not exactly what I'd call high-quality. but that's part of why I didn't reference his.
    (5.2) Actually I was thinking going over to the videos themselves and commenting there. But yes, I can pop by the Religion forum.
    6. Tell me one verse, one single verse, where Jesus explicitly said that being LGBT was a sin, or where he explicitly told a clearly LGBT person to "repent."

  7. #207
    Godwin's Lawyer
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    7. Whoa, you served in the armed forces. Thank you for your service. Don't forget, though, that you swore to defend all Americans: LGBT, not just heteronormative; liberals, not just conservatives and libertarians; atheists, Jews, and Muslims, not just Christians.
    8. This lie is tossed around a lot by the Right. It expresses a fundamental inability to discern what persecution actually is. You don't believe that gays should marry? Fine, don't get married to another man. But you do not have the right to tell other gays not to just because you find it icky, or "morally wrong," or "sinful," or "against God's word," or whatever bull**** excuse that anti-LGBT Christians use. Your rights end where my face begins. Get over it already. The gay is here to stay.
    (8.1) Bias is not the same as persecution. Not even close. I have noticed in my years of interacting with people of multiple religions that the religion with the single most defensive group of people to polemics is, by far, conservative Christians. There isn't even a close second. Muslims (as long as you avoid insulting the Prophet) and Jews are far, far, far less defensive towards polemics. In fact Jews almost seem to welcome it!
    9. It is not your place to tell a gay person what is "temptation." That is theirs and theirs alone. To do so is bullying, pure and simple.
    P.S. Glad you were able to shake the bad drinking habits.
    Ah, yes, the old "we choose to sin" argument. Free will. Do tell me, Will, what kind of a God creates sin, knowing that we are going to sin, and then blames us for it when we do sin? Again, such a God is not worthy of worship.
    10.A. Please, dude, don't even try that ****. You wanna talk to me about a "Biblical message about sexuality"? I could go on ALL DAY about how the OT is incredibly ****ed up when it comes to sex. The OT is so outdated it isn't even funny. And I have zero respect for anything that the incredibly misogynistic St. Paul said about sex.
    10.B. Prove it. More liberal churches are dying, too, but unlike Evangelicals, liberal Christians don't freak out when people suddenly stop showing up on Sundays.
    10.C. HA! yeah you just go on thinking that. I was just talking with a friend the other day about a pretty large Baptist church that recently got demolished in Atlanta, and you know what he told me was the single greatest contributor? Age. That church literally died off. And that's a problem that church after church is facing. And they are doing a terrible job, as evidenced by your words, of diagnosing the true cause.10.D. Knock it off. Your judgmental attitude is not welcome.
    "Because he loves us." Hahahahahahaha oh man...that reminds me of a great George Carlin routine...man, if you weren't so damn up-tight about your religion, I guarantee you that even you would enjoy it!
    We need to worship him? Why?! So he won't cook us in Hell?
    HA! If you seriously think that I'm the first person to ask what God gets out of worship, then you need to engage in a lot more apologetic/polemical conversations. It's a fair question, and I would like an answer: What does God get out of worship?
    11. See above. It is primarily the attitudes of a religion's followers by which I judge a religion--a stance, I admit, that not all freethinkers take. I am painfully aware of not just the good but the bad that has been done in the name of Jesus, past and present. Even in your responses to me, right here in this thread, you have revealed some of that.
    12. Whatever.
    Because it's hypocrisy, something I cannot stand. People who cannot follow their own basic beliefs have no business trying to preach them to others, let alone trying to make those beliefs into laws of the land. Yet again, this is something that Millennials are keenly aware of and that conservative Christians have yet to come up with an answer for.
    13. Divorce and single parenting is not the cut-and-dry issue that you apparently think it is. Divorce can be anything from horrible to long-overdue, depending on the circumstance. And frankly your comments against single parents are insulting. You should speak of things you clearly do not understand. I have met some great single parents, and I have met some horrible parents who are still married. Conservative Christians' blind believe that two (straight) parents is the magic number is just laughable.
    14. No, Will, you don't understand. See, I am an ex-conservative-Christian. (And this is where you start to really judge me. Bring it on.) So I know your (plural) tricks; I know your tactics. Your bluffs are easy to call, because I know what's what. There are only so many ways to defend a mirage before finally realizing it is a mirage.
    Maybe there is a grain of truth to that. OK, I think a better formulation of my claim is that it is the people who seek honest answers about Christianity and stop taking it at face value are the ones most likely to leave. There; that's a more defensible claim, one that I have seen plenty of examples of.

  8. #208
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    37,697

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    ^ damn son
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #209
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,518

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    ^ damn son
    yeah. It's 1 am. He's gonna have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry Phys.

  10. #210
    Godwin's Lawyer
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yeah. It's 1 am. He's gonna have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry Phys.
    OK good night sir.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •