View Poll Results: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the issue is settled

    33 51.56%
  • No, there's lots yet to discuss/debate

    27 42.19%
  • Not sure

    2 3.13%
  • What's SSM?

    2 3.13%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 246

Thread: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

  1. #11
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    12-01-16 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,818

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    No, of course it is not a dead issue. What an absurd thing to suggest.

    Is the abortion debate dead because of Roe v Wade? Is the gun rights issue dead because of the 2nd Amendment? (and that is 223 years old.) Is the issue of Social Security and Welfare dead because of 50+ and 60+ year legislation efforts? And every one of those has seen significant legal challenge, and every single one of those we debate today. Anything *but* dead issues. SSM is no different.

    Just because I agree with the bare majority on this SSM decision (after reading it all including the 4 separate dissents,) still illustrates that there were 4 dissenting opinions telling us this was not a clear overwhelming decision in terms of our Constitution and Laws. Just because I agree (or anyone else for that matter, even as a majority) does not mean the issue is dead. And we have at least two States so far, Alabama and Arkansas, willing to put up some degree of continued resistance.

    So tell us, how could this really be a dead issue?
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  2. #12
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,346

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I have every confidence that SSM will turn out to be an issue every bit as dead as the abortion issue has been post Roe v Wade.
    I disagree. What's keeping Roe vs. Wade alive is the ability to point to a victim (whether or not you agree a victim is actually involved). In the case of ssm there's no victim to point to, and therefore it's substantially more difficult to keep it alive as a burning issue of debate.

  3. #13
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,346

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, one can hope.

    It's been coming, anyone could see it was inevitable for several years now.

    It's done... be nice if we could talk about something ELSE for a change.


    However, I have an unpleasant suspicion that that floodgates will open for lawsuits based on this or that sort of discrimination claims, all aimed at ramming acceptance down everyone's throats. "Gracious in victory" seems unlikely. Movements don't stop moving just because they've won their primary objective; those who make a living leading the movement tend to look for the next thing to make a big deal out of, so they can stay employed.


    I hope I'm wrong. I doubt that I am.
    We've had legal same sex marriage in the country since 2004. If the last eleven years are anything to go by then you can expect more of the same from here on out. As such the only example we've had of a church being forced to officiate a same sex marriage was in Denmark.

  4. #14
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I think so. I think we now live in a world where SSM is no longer an issue and all arguments, pro and con, are now moot.

    Seriously, that's actually difficult to wrap my mind around. All the time and energy arguing about who is and isn't pro/anti SSM and why they are and are not is moot. Like the ruling or not, the issue has been settled and it will never go back. Continuing to dwell on it and argue it, especially on the anti-SSM side is pointless. You're just making yourselves miserable over something that most likely will have zero impact on your life. On the pro side, you have every right to celebrate, but maybe you could try to be happy rather than hateful. C'mon, it's supposed easy to be magnanimous when you win (and you have won).

    I, for one, look forward to all the furor settling down. Honestly, this issue felt a little like it tore me in two, understanding arguments on both sides and feeling that there are good hearted and sincere people on both sides, which was probably the most lonely position of all.

    Anyway, do you agree with me that once all the victory laps have been run and all the anger has subsided (and it will with time - it always does), this is essentially a dead issue?

    Now what are we gonna talk about?

    Getting a simple poll together and sorry about the weird font (I hope it's not huge) - that happens sometimes when I save something to my iPad then copy/paste it later.
    I personally don't care about SSM one way or the other however lots of people oppose it and there will be lots of opposition to it's acceptance until it's no longer news.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  5. #15
    fallor ergo sum
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,020

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ah hell. We have to go on bickering and hating on each other because of Russia?
    Well we also have to consider that even in this country, although the issues has been decided legally, there are still a whole host of related social issues facing the LGBT community that need to be waded through. Nevermind the fact that we're going to see further clashes between this ruling and individuals/organizations/companies right to religious expression.
    "Education is the only thing you can do that will change society. Everything else is just a band-aid." - Jacqueline de Chollet
    "Boys will be boys. But boys will not be president." - Ronald Regan
    "The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy." - Donald J. Trump

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    07-02-15 @ 11:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    61

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    All you need look at is what younger generations think on the issue. Younger generations are very pro gay marriage. I don't see this issue, just as abortion, facing any real legal threat. Abortion is easy enough to get in America. Either way, all that really matters for the future of a law is what do the younger generations feel, and in this case America's youth are completely socially liberal. Social conservatism is on a steep decline in America and every poll shows this.

  7. #17
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    The US Constitution is officially a dead issue now.
    Roberts wrote: "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. ... But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,958

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    We've had legal same sex marriage in the country since 2004. If the last eleven years are anything to go by then you can expect more of the same from here on out. As such the only example we've had of a church being forced to officiate a same sex marriage was in Denmark.


    We'll see what we see. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I suspect someone will find a way to fan the fires... some gay version of Jessie or Al perhaps, seeing discrimination in every incidence of bad restaurant service.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I think so. I think we now live in a world where SSM is no longer an issue and all arguments, pro and con, are now moot.

    Seriously, that's actually difficult to wrap my mind around. All the time and energy arguing about who is and isn't pro/anti SSM and why they are and are not is moot. Like the ruling or not, the issue has been settled and it will never go back. Continuing to dwell on it and argue it, especially on the anti-SSM side is pointless. You're just making yourselves miserable over something that most likely will have zero impact on your life. On the pro side, you have every right to celebrate, but maybe you could try to be happy rather than hateful. C'mon, it's supposed easy to be magnanimous when you win (and you have won).

    I, for one, look forward to all the furor settling down. Honestly, this issue felt a little like it tore me in two, understanding arguments on both sides and feeling that there are good hearted and sincere people on both sides, which was probably the most lonely position of all.

    Anyway, do you agree with me that once all the victory laps have been run and all the anger has subsided (and it will with time - it always does), this is essentially a dead issue?

    Now what are we gonna talk about?

    Getting a simple poll together and sorry about the weird font (I hope it's not huge) - that happens sometimes when I save something to my iPad then copy/paste it later.
    There will be some initial outrage by some for a few months, but it's pretty much settled and done.
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,958

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rationality View Post
    All you need look at is what younger generations think on the issue. Younger generations are very pro gay marriage. I don't see this issue, just as abortion, facing any real legal threat. Abortion is easy enough to get in America. Either way, all that really matters for the future of a law is what do the younger generations feel, and in this case America's youth are completely socially liberal. Social conservatism is on a steep decline in America and every poll shows this.


    Well, they're socially something... I'm not sure liberal is quite the correct term. Most of them seem to be as big on individual liberty as any libertarian; at the same time they're also in favor of substantial social programs for those struggling economically. One might say they are as much left-libertarian as liberal-progressive, depending on the issue. Yet in some ways they seem conservative on certain specific issues. They may be "something new under the sun" that doesn't really quite fit into any of the pigeonholes into which we've grown accustomed to stuffing people.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •