View Poll Results: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the issue is settled

    33 51.56%
  • No, there's lots yet to discuss/debate

    27 42.19%
  • Not sure

    2 3.13%
  • What's SSM?

    2 3.13%
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 246

Thread: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

  1. #161
    Tavern Bartender
    #prouddeplorable
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    70,106

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    The SSM debate has only just begun. They're not done pushing the envelope yet. Stay tuned.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country spoke, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I still think you are likely projecting negative internals onto others with whom you disagree.



    No, they didn't. They tried to overturn the Legislature with a popular vote. IOW, his claim that traditional-marriage advocates would respond to losing in a legislature by appealing away from rule by the people towards rule by a judiciary was the exact opposite of the case.
    Yes, you are right, we voted after the Legislature signed it. I forgot the sequence.

    However the campaigning by 'traditional family organizations' backed by so-called Christians was nasty, mean-spirited, and not very Christian at all. It was a disgusting display and they often had their kids with them, spreading what basically amounted sometimes to hate speech.

    In those instances I took every opportunity when confronted to humiliate them in front of their children and point out their hate and/or unChristian actions.

    Personal perspective? yes, I already said so. But it wasnt imagined. In some cases it was vile and I am appalled sometimes at the words and actions of people that call themselves "Christians." Was my reaction to them particularly "Christian?" Maybe not but I felt I was being constructive.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #163
    Godwin's Lawyer
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,460

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    (Numbering off your points to make them easier to reference; I have left your post otherwise intact. Thanks, Agent J, for the idea. )

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    1. Christianity is projected to roughly keep it's portion of the global populace. Which means it is projected to continue to grow in raw numbers. Which means that your claim that it is dying out is incorrect.

    2. Ah. And it is your theory that Islam does not share his beliefs when it comes to homosexuality?

    3. I was under the impression that you were the one making that conflation. However, I am happy to state that it is the Christian position that those who are tempted with homosexual urges should resist, and, when they fail, take that to Christ in a spirit of repentance. That may be anti-homosexuality, but it is certainly not anti-homosexual; a distinction that those who want to holler about this and accuse any who disagree of bigotry seem unable to grasp.
    1. Stop distorting my words. I clearly implied that I was referring to Christianity in America. Here, it is fading, rapidly. It's also dying out in many other developed societies. The growth of Christianity--and Islam, too, it seems--is disproportionately happening in less developed societies. I wonder why this is?
    2. This red herring is summarily dismissed.
    3. I'll bet that you are a straight person. If so, you have the privilege of saying this. It is hate speech, pure and simple. Pouring syrup on **** doesn't make it pancakes, will. Oh, and speaking of beliefs dying out, anti-LGBT attitudes are also doing precisely that in the USA.

  4. #164
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,575

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yes, you are right, we voted after the Legislature signed it. I forgot the sequence.

    However the campaigning by 'traditional family organizations' backed by so-called Christians was nasty, mean-spirited, and not very Christian at all. It was a disgusting display and they often had their kids with them, spreading what basically amounted sometimes to hate speech.

    In those instances I took every opportunity when confronted to humiliate them in front of their children and point out their hate and/or unChristian actions.

    Personal perspective? yes, I already said so. But it wasnt imagined. In some cases it was vile and I am appalled sometimes at the words and actions of people that call themselves "Christians." Was my reaction to them particularly "Christian?" Maybe not but I felt I was being constructive.
    So... you responded to people you disagreed with by attacking them and hoping to humiliate them in front of their children... because you wanted to defend "Christianity".

    I'm thinking for most folks you probably only reinforced negative opinions of your side as being shrill, offensive, and intolerant of opposing beliefs.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  5. #165
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,575

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    (Numbering off your points to make them easier to reference; I have left your post otherwise intact. Thanks, Agent J, for the idea. )
    It keeps things simpler to follow

    1. Stop distorting my words. I clearly implied that I was referring to Christianity in America.
    No you did not. You stated :

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251
    How does it feel to know that your beliefs are literally dying out? [/I]
    In order to be literally dying out, his beliefs would have to be literally dying out.

    If you now wish to amend your statement and claim that you meant Joe-Biden-Literally, and that you only meant Here-in-the-US, then that's fine

    Here, it is fading, rapidly.
    Not as much as you'd think. Those who don't believe simply feel more comfortable saying so.

    It's also dying out in many other developed societies. The growth of Christianity--and Islam, too, it seems--is disproportionately happening in less developed societies. I wonder why this is?
    People who are wealthy and comfortable often tend to seek out self-pleasure as a purpose and think that they can seek wealth for security. In the West, we've also generally rejected the idea of Sin, for which both Christianity and Islam offer solutions. You can't gratefully receive forgiveness and salvation from your sins if you think you are already wonderful, and see no need to limit your self-focus.

    2. This red herring is summarily dismissed.
    It's not a red herring. EITHER you were referring to "Christianity" when you said "his beliefs", OR you were referring to his position on homosexuality. Since you then responded by pointing out the relative growth of Islam, your statement becomes self-contradicting if the latter, which is what you suggested when you attempted to impute a conflation of "anti-LGBT" and "Christianity" on me.

    3. I'll bet that you are a straight person. If so, you have the privilege of saying this. It is hate speech, pure and simple. Pouring syrup on **** doesn't make it pancakes, will. Oh, and speaking of beliefs dying out, anti-LGBT attitudes are also doing precisely that in the USA.
    it is nothing close to hate speech, and only the simple and paranoid would find it such
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    So... you responded to people you disagreed with by attacking them and hoping to humiliate them in front of their children... because you wanted to defend "Christianity".

    I'm thinking for most folks you probably only reinforced negative opinions of your side as being shrill, offensive, and intolerant of opposing beliefs.
    Oh such assumptions! I was much more subtle....I would sweetly and directly address the kids and talk about God's Love and judging and hate and loving thy neighbor and ask them questions.....the parents were horrified and yes, it was a sin to take pleasure in that horror but I did focus rational and polite questions on the kids...quietly. It even took awhile for the parents to figure out what I was doing.

    You catch more flies with honey than vinegar....didnt anyone ever teach you that?
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #167
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,575

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Oh such assumptions! I was much more subtle....I would sweetly and directly address the kids and talk about God's Love and judging and hate and loving thy neighbor and ask them questions.....the parents were horrified and yes, it was a sin to take pleasure in that horror but I did focus rational and polite questions on the kids...quietly. It even took awhile for the parents to figure out what I was doing.

    You catch more flies with honey than vinegar....didnt anyone ever teach you that?
    Indeed they did. But the behavior you are describing now is not better - it is simply passive aggressive.

    It is also pretty creepy. If some strange lady came up and started targeting my child for some kind of session like that, I do believe I'd intervene.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Indeed they did. But the behavior you are describing now is not better - it is simply passive aggressive.

    It is also pretty weird. If some strange lady came up and started targeting my child for some kind of session like that, I do believe I'd intervene.
    No...they approached me, with petitions. I had every right to disagree with them (& express my opinion, politely) after that initiation. (Plus my intent was to sway the kids to a better path, the aggravation of the parents was just a bonus)

    And I asked for forgiveness, so it's all good.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #169
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,575

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No...they approached me, with petitions. I had every right to disagree with them (& express my opinion, politely) after that initiation. (Plus my intent was to sway the kids to a better path, the aggravation of the parents was just a bonus)
    Ah. Well if they sent the kid to you, then I think you're free to explain why you wouldn't. I revoke the creepy claim and retain the passive aggressive claim.

    And I asked for forgiveness, so it's all good.
    Well if you're repentant then hey - that's the beauty of Christ
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is SSM a "dead" issue, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Ah. Well if they sent the kid to you, then I think you're free to explain why you wouldn't. I revoke the creepy claim and retain the passive aggressive claim.

    Well if you're repentant then hey - that's the beauty of Christ
    The kids were with their parents. Probably supposedly with the intent of seeing their parents 'doing the Lord's Work.'

    And yes, belief in Christ is beautiful, even for us less than perfect.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •