View Poll Results: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 15.07%
  • No

    62 84.93%
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 354

Thread: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,586

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by rationality View Post
    Do you think they are?
    Increasingly they will be, as it is beginning to seem. The protection of minorities and religious practice are being increasingly removed and individuals have, in fact, been discriminated against. The libertarian movement has developed a bigotry the rivals any I have seen and spews vitriol and hate. If we as a society do not get this sorted out and the legal system back to attempting equality, we are headed for interesting times.

  2. #62
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,151

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Not only is your post wrong, but it's also offensive. We lost a family friend struggling with cancer who committed suicide not too long ago. He was a dear and kind Christian man who lost his battle and chose to end his life. Christians still commit suicide. In fact, I myself was suicidal in the past partially due to bullying and as someone unwilling to have sex with others I was made fun of for being a virgin by choice (not saying that was the sole issue behind it, but it contributed to self esteem issues). When Christians kill themselves or kids bullied for being a Christian it doesn't make headlines because the media's agenda isn't to push that.

    I'm sorry for your loss, however what you said doesn't compare with what I pointed out. I didn't say christians don't commit suicide; I said christians aren't pushed to commit suicide by society and in some cases their own families in the way that LGBT people are. There are laws on the books that protect people from being fired due to religion; however, I can go into work tomorrow and be told I don't have a job anymore because of my sexuality and have no recourse whatsoever. (They wouldn't do that, though, if they did they would lose like half the store because it is literally filled with gay people, lol.)

    And I'm sorry, but the social norms are changing, and that doesn't equal to discrimination against christians. And it's a fact that you're going to have to face if you're going to be against LGBT equality, and if you're going to say that being LGBT is immoral, people are going to disagree with you. The majority of people, in fact, are going to disagree with you, and yes some of them may be ugly about it, that is not tantamount to discrimination, however; there are assholes in every group of people and you can't avoid that.

    It is important to note that Christianity is still the majority religion in this country, and the societal privilege that comes with that is very powerful and protects that group from all sorts of problems, bias, and discrimination that other groups face. The fact that this privilege is being challenged and slowly chipped away at is being described as discrimination is not all that surprising, but holds no place in reality. The fact is that as a christian you're not gonna face widespread ridicule, discrimination, or face any major problems because of your faith.

    And this may be a bad debate tactic, but what the hell I'm trying to be honest here. I'll admit, that when someone has said that they are christian, internally I sometimes have a negative reaction. I think my brain goes into flight or fight mode and goes, "well, that person thinks I'm evil and will discriminate against me." I think this is a reaction to me growing up in a situation where christianity was associated with hate, and self shame, and repression. And sometimes that reaction has protected me from some people that I really wouldn't want to associate with in the first place. However, I know that isn't fair, and that most christians are good honest moral people, like most people are. So I do have to fight that impulse in my own head. And it's not just about christians, any kind of deep religious views I kind of have that same reaction. I just encounter christians the most.

    So, to sum it up. Are christians discriminated against? No. In fact they are the dominant religion in this country and have all the associated privilege that comes with that. However, the social norms are changing and there is a certain friction that is associated with that, but christians aren't being discriminated against. The only thing happening is that certain groups of people are being given rights that were previously denied to them, and that is a great thing. And this is not unique, we had this same discussion about race 50 years ago. I imagine in 30-40 years, christianity will have changed to meet the societal norms and that most churches will be accepting and affirming of LGBT people and be preforming SS weddings with no problems. Not because some law made them do it, but because the church will change itself to meet the demand of it's consumer base. Because the church is nothing without people in the pews. Hell, I'd like to see the church go away all together, but that is a completely other topic, lol.
    Last edited by Your Star; 06-28-15 at 04:34 AM.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    I think there is discrimination going on against Christians. Just because they're a majority doesn't mean that discrimination cannot take place so using that as an excuse to explain why there "isn't discrimination against Christians" just doesn't hold water. Lets do a simple hypothetical to show this.

    Bakery A, a Christian shop (ran by Christians), refuses to sell cakes to homosexual weddings. Many would agree that such IS discrimination.

    Bakery B, a homosexual shop (ran by homosexuals), refuses to sell cakes to Christian and/or heterosexual weddings. Would this not also be discrimination? I would say yes and I would hope that others think so to. Despite the fact that both Christians and heterosexuals are in the majority.

    So as we can see with my hypothetical, being in the majority does not shield you from discrimination in totality.

    Are the effects of such discrimination reduced? Most certainly. But there is still discrimination going on. And imo if you are against discrimination based upon sex, race, gender, religious beliefs, age, etc etc (all the normal AA stuff) then you should apply that across the board. No matter whether the discrimination is reduced in effect or whether the ones being discriminated against are in the minority or in the majority.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #64
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    74,151

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You can't get elected unless you're Christian. You can very, very easily not be black and still get elected. Nice try though.
    Look at the hate by the Left poured out on Huckabee every four years.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #65
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    74,151

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Next thing yanno a woman might be elected president!
    No problem, but not that piece of **** Hillary Clinton.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    No problem, but not that piece of **** Hillary Clinton.
    I'd vote for Rosanne Barr before Hillary if that's any indication of what kind of dumbass I think Hillary is.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #67
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,189

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by rationality View Post
    Do you think they are?
    Of course not. The problem is that some Christians think that not being allowed to discriminate against others is itself discrimination.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Of course not. The problem is that some Christians think that not being allowed to discriminate against others is itself discrimination.
    I'm not Christian, but I do agree that forcing people to not discriminate via government means is in itself discrimination. The reason is that there are lots of things that are negatively discriminatory and yet no one demands that the government stop those things. They only demand that the government stop certain discrimination. While ignoring any other type of negative discrimination. As such not allowing certain forms of discrimination while ignoring other forms of discrimination IS by its very definition, discrimination.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #69
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,263
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    The Christians have most of the power and run the USA.

    If anyone is being discriminated against in the USA it's a mighty good bet that it's the Christians who are doing the discriminating.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  10. #70
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 09:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    My answer to the question would be yes and no.

    Many on the left hold bigoted attitudes towards Christians, and are quite capable of forming absolutely enormous double standards when it comes to them and any other religion.

    Many Christians, however, view any limits being placed on their ability to dictate to others as a sign of discrimination.

    In general, I'd say that the latter group tends to fuel the former, which then overreacts in bigoted ways towards the whole group.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •