View Poll Results: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 15.07%
  • No

    62 84.93%
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 354

Thread: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

  1. #331
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,523

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    I can see how you might think that, but political correctness is merely going out of your way not to be gratuitously offensive.
    I would agree if it stopped there, but it doesn't. When one is "percieved" offensive they are immediately admonished or attacked as insensitive, bigots, racists, sexists, intolerant.

    I have zom here calling me all sorts of names just because I say that trans-gender has some mental issues associated with it. There is nothing nice about what he is doing. He has no facts to back up his position but here I am, scum of the world being inhumane to people offing themselves because I refuse to accept a man as a woman. I would say that he is the one being gratuitously offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  2. #332
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,032
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The term "Conservative Christian" is oxymoronic.

    You're apparently unaware that conservatives are far more charitable than liberals.

    http://www.amazon.com/Who-Really-Car.../dp/0465008232
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #333
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You're apparently unaware that conservatives are far more charitable than liberals.

    http://www.amazon.com/Who-Really-Car.../dp/0465008232
    Actually, there is some information that is important to this. First, Christian conservatives are much more selective in their charity, especially when it comes to Christian charities, which could simply be their church tithings. Not everyone agrees that giving to your own church, which isn't necessarily actually doing things with it that others consider truly charitable.

    Are Conservatives Really More Charitable? Or Just More Religious?*|*James Peron

    Would you consider donating to an organization such as GLAAD to be a charitable donation? I don't. But donating to churches who use much of that money to oppose GLAAD and things political issues GLAAD supports can be considered charity solely because it is money given to a church.

    Study: Conservatives and liberals are equally charitable, but they give to different charities - The Washington Post

    And I'm not saying that there aren't some actual good charitable activities that some of those religious donations are going to, there are some, many for some particular religions. But there it would be very hard to properly separate how much money a church gains from donations is going to help those in need, and how much is going to just further the church's cause (support spreading their religious beliefs, going to fight certain political issues in the country).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #334
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,032
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, there is some information that is important to this. First, Christian conservatives are much more selective in their charity, especially when it comes to Christian charities, which could simply be their church tithings. Not everyone agrees that giving to your own church, which isn't necessarily actually doing things with it that others consider truly charitable.

    Are Conservatives Really More Charitable? Or Just More Religious?*|*James Peron

    Would you consider donating to an organization such as GLAAD to be a charitable donation? I don't. But donating to churches who use much of that money to oppose GLAAD and things political issues GLAAD supports can be considered charity solely because it is money given to a church.

    Study: Conservatives and liberals are equally charitable, but they give to different charities - The Washington Post

    And I'm not saying that there aren't some actual good charitable activities that some of those religious donations are going to, there are some, many for some particular religions. But there it would be very hard to properly separate how much money a church gains from donations is going to help those in need, and how much is going to just further the church's cause (support spreading their religious beliefs, going to fight certain political issues in the country).
    The objective was to refute the implication of #329. Even granting your points for the sake of argument, that was accomplished.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #335
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The objective was to refute the implication of #329. Even granting your points for the sake of argument, that was accomplished.
    No, it really wasn't. For one thing, that cartoon didn't even mention charitable donations, or giving as being the issue addressed by Jesus for that particular cartoon. It had to do with some conservative Christians "fighting back" when Jesus specifically spoke against doing many of the things some Christians are doing or talking about doing for many different issues.

    Second, there is nothing "maybe" about my points. There has been much more recent research that shows that neither conservatives nor liberals give more to charity, especially those charities that could be seen to actually promote the general welfare and would actually help people rely less on the government for their needs.

    Who's more charitable -- conservatives or liberals? - latimes

    The book you referenced is from almost 10 years ago.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #336
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,032
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, it really wasn't. For one thing, that cartoon didn't even mention charitable donations, or giving as being the issue addressed by Jesus for that particular cartoon. It had to do with some conservative Christians "fighting back" when Jesus specifically spoke against doing many of the things some Christians are doing or talking about doing for many different issues.

    Second, there is nothing "maybe" about my points. There has been much more recent research that shows that neither conservatives nor liberals give more to charity, especially those charities that could be seen to actually promote the general welfare and would actually help people rely less on the government for their needs.

    Who's more charitable -- conservatives or liberals? - latimes

    The book you referenced is from almost 10 years ago.
    You are free to believe as you wish. I do not believe that any of the more recent research does anything more than strain to reassert an assumption that Brooks knocked aside. And you are being too literal regarding the cartoon; Brooks refutes it.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #337
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You are free to believe as you wish. I do not believe that any of the more recent research does anything more than strain to reassert an assumption that Brooks knocked aside. And you are being too literal regarding the cartoon; Brooks refutes it.
    No, Brooks doesn't. And he did not account for the fact that giving to churches or religious charities does not necessarily do much to help society as a whole. While a percentage of those donations would probably go towards causes that could be considered truly charitable, some that might actually cause people to rely less on social welfare programs, that particular percentage can be found to be quite low overall. Comparing donations by liberals to similar secular charities easily shows that they are pretty much the same about their giving levels. So far, you haven't given anything to refute this except "this guy says differently".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #338
    Almost respectable
    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,384

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I could not disagree more. Etiquette is to political correctness as a Van Gogh is to house paint.
    Sorry, hate to break it to you: there was always a time and place in human civilization where certain things just weren't said. If you believe there was a fabled time where anybody could say whatever they wanted with zero consequence, you're living in a dreamworld.

  9. #339
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,032
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, Brooks doesn't. And he did not account for the fact that giving to churches or religious charities does not necessarily do much to help society as a whole. While a percentage of those donations would probably go towards causes that could be considered truly charitable, some that might actually cause people to rely less on social welfare programs, that particular percentage can be found to be quite low overall. Comparing donations by liberals to similar secular charities easily shows that they are pretty much the same about their giving levels. So far, you haven't given anything to refute this except "this guy says differently".
    I don't accept that the religious donation exclusion (necessary to make your case) is either valid or useful.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #340
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,032
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Sorry, hate to break it to you: there is no time or place on earth where certain things just aren't said. If you believe there was a fabled time where anybody could say whatever they wanted with zero consequence, you're living in a dreamworld.
    You seem to be making two mutually exclusive points. Pick one.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •