View Poll Results: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 15.07%
  • No

    62 84.93%
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 354

Thread: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

  1. #241
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,017

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If I had a belief, I would. I don't. I just reject your belief based on lack of evidence. I'm not the one making the claim here, the theist is. I'm the one saying I'm unconvinced by their claim.

    Do try again though.
    You do have a belief. You express it often and mock those who believe differently. By that logic, I reject your belief based on a lack of evidence. And you are making a claim. For instance:

    I don't believe God exists. That is what you are claiming to believe. That is fine and I respect that.

    God does not exist and anyone who believes differently is an idiot and a douchebag. That is a statement of fact. And as a statement of fact, it is not unreasonable for me to ask you to prove it.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #242
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,017

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    But we don't need evidence they are wrong, they need evidence they are right and barring that evidence, their beliefs are not worth taking seriously. There's no discrimination involved.
    And by that logic, you should prove your beliefs.

    Tell me this. How is the universe here? Where did it come from? How did life get created? Can you answer those questions definitively and prove what you answer and questions I will have about it?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #243
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,625
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    But we don't need evidence they are wrong, they need evidence they are right and barring that evidence, their beliefs are not worth taking seriously. There's no discrimination involved.
    Why? If I think you are wrong in your opinion about a lot of things, should you have to be able to convince me you are right and I am wrong before you can be considered suitable to be elected to something? The Huckabees and Carsons are taken very seriously in their beliefs by anti-Christian, anti-religious types and they are declared unsuitable for high office because of those beliefs. Not because they can't prove they are right. They are dismissed or denigrated because they hold the beliefs.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #244
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    28,930

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    You do have a belief. You express it often and mock those who believe differently. By that logic, I reject your belief based on a lack of evidence. And you are making a claim. For instance:

    I don't believe God exists. That is what you are claiming to believe. That is fine and I respect that.

    God does not exist and anyone who believes differently is an idiot and a douchebag. That is a statement of fact. And as a statement of fact, it is not unreasonable for me to ask you to prove it.
    You're so close, yet so clueless. You just said it and then screwed it all up. I don't believe God exists. That isn't a belief, it's a lack of a belief. Learn the difference.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #245
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,017

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You're so close, yet so clueless. You just said it and then screwed it all up. I don't believe God exists. That isn't a belief, it's a lack of a belief. Learn the difference.
    You believe God doesn't exist. Lack of belief would be saying I don't know or not taking any stance at all. But you have taken a stance. You have stated a belief. A belief that God does not exist.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #246
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,493

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by rationality View Post
    Do you think they are?
    No. But I'm willing to bet the pendulum WILL reverse.

    I see people constantly making bigoted comments towards Christians. But I'm willing to bet they go completely unnoticed by their peers. So I doubt it will be non existent in person.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #247
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    28,930

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Why? If I think you are wrong in your opinion about a lot of things, should you have to be able to convince me you are right and I am wrong before you can be considered suitable to be elected to something? The Huckabees and Carsons are taken very seriously in their beliefs by anti-Christian, anti-religious types and they are declared unsuitable for high office because of those beliefs. Not because they can't prove they are right. They are dismissed or denigrated because they hold the beliefs.
    We can certainly have a conversation about it, but whereas we can discuss specifics and present evidence, the religious can't do that, they have no evidence, they only have blind faith. They believe they're right because they get an emotional high out of believing it. They didn't objectively evaluate the evidence and reach a conclusion based on research, if they did, they'd have no use for faith. As such, they have earned no respect for their critical thinking skills.

    I accept that the Huckabees and Carsons of the world really do believe what they believe. I also think that what they believe is absurd and ridiculous. They cannot defend their views rationally. Until they can, why should anyone give them what they have not earned?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #248
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    22,238

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    You do have a belief. You express it often and mock those who believe differently. By that logic, I reject your belief based on a lack of evidence. And you are making a claim. For instance:

    I don't believe God exists. That is what you are claiming to believe. That is fine and I respect that.

    God does not exist and anyone who believes differently is an idiot and a douchebag. That is a statement of fact. And as a statement of fact, it is not unreasonable for me to ask you to prove it.
    Until God's existence is proven, then at best it's moot, but it doesn't even reach that level of evidence.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #249
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,017

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    We can certainly have a conversation about it, but whereas we can discuss specifics and present evidence, the religious can't do that, they have no evidence, they only have blind faith. They believe they're right because they get an emotional high out of believing it. They didn't objectively evaluate the evidence and reach a conclusion based on research, if they did, they'd have no use for faith. As such, they have earned no respect for their critical thinking skills.

    I accept that the Huckabees and Carsons of the world really do believe what they believe. I also think that what they believe is absurd and ridiculous. They cannot defend their views rationally. Until they can, why should anyone give them what they have not earned?
    Countless people have looked at the evidence and still come to believe objectively that God exists. You came to a different conclusion. No one on Earth, no one in the history of mankind, knows the answers to questions that religion attempts to answer. You can take the smartest men of all time, give them unlimited resources, hell they can even stay at a holiday inn express, and in the end they wont come up with anything but a theory.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #250
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,017

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Until God's existence is proven, then at best it's moot, but it doesn't even reach that level of evidence.
    No theory of creation can be proven. Does that mean then it is all moot? Does life even exist?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •