View Poll Results: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 15.07%
  • No

    62 84.93%
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 354

Thread: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,706

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Actually the Mods came up with the idea because they saw what was going on. Had nothing to do with "whiny religious asshats". Had to do with exactly the reason that I said.

    I do find your post funny though. You just proved my point regarding how religious members on DP are treated and why the religion and philosophy sections got seperated. Thanks!
    They are treated that way for the same reason the conspiracy theorists are treated that way and the other crazies, etc. It's because these people are making claims that they are completely and totally unable to support or defend or provide evidence for and they SHOULD BE TREATED THAT WAY! God is a fairy tale for adults who ought to know better. It's just pathetic that so many people don't. That you find critical thinking and rational evaluation somehow discriminatory is very telling.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #172
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,706

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    A link to this site is evidence of nothing.
    It's worth about as much as pointing to Google. It's a lazy response for someone who has no real sources but can't be honest about it. I trust you're not surprised.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #173
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    Uncle Sal is gay. That's kind of why I showed him this thread.

    You haven't demonstrated how you as a Christian are being discriminated against. Have you ever been denied housing because you are a Christian? I've been denied housing because I am black. How about being denied employment because of your religion?I know what it's like being denied a job because of my color. How many times have you been stopped by the cops for "driving while Christian"? And let's not go into all the b.s. me and my wife still go through for being an inter-racial married couple. Do you really want to get into a pissing contest about discrimination with a guy who was a young lad in the Deep South in the 50's and 60's? I agree with Cardinal in that you don't know what real discrimination is.
    I don't think stopping people of color for driving is discrimination, is it? I thought it was racial profiling.

    It's possible to deny a Christian a job or other accommodation. You just can't admit to doing it. I think the way some people acted about those pizza parlor owners proves that many people absolutely detest Christians who hold Christian beliefs. There's no reason to believe they aren't discriminated against. Everyone belongs to a subset of society that someone doesn't like.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #174
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    A link to this site is evidence of nothing.
    I've seen it happen before though. People have decided that posts on here are an indication of how rampant racism and sexism are.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #175
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,706

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't think stopping people of color for driving is discrimination, is it? I thought it was racial profiling.

    It's possible to deny a Christian a job or other accommodation. You just can't admit to doing it. I think the way some people acted about those pizza parlor owners proves that many people absolutely detest Christians who hold Christian beliefs. There's no reason to believe they aren't discriminated against. Everyone belongs to a subset of society that someone doesn't like.
    I don't think anyone detests Christians who hold Christian beliefs, I think people detest Christians who act like dicks. Those pizza parlor owners acted like dicks. It wouldn't have mattered what their justification for their stupidity might have been, the reaction would have been largely the same.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #176
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I thought "civility is a must" here. And who do you think is a "paid shill" in the environment subforum?
    Civility should be a must everywhere.
    The religion forum is more than just a forum where there can't be any discrimination. It's a forum where you are not allowed to post beliefs other a literal interpretation of scripture.

    And, I'd really like to hear the answer to that second question.
    Its an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated. Donald Trump



  7. #177
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I don't think anyone detests Christians who hold Christian beliefs, I think people detest Christians who act like dicks. Those pizza parlor owners acted like dicks. It wouldn't have mattered what their justification for their stupidity might have been, the reaction would have been largely the same.
    I disagree that they acted like "dicks". All they said was they wouldn't serve pizza at a hypothetical gay wedding. That isn't exactly a horrific comment. And in response they got death threats. If death threats are an expected response to people voicing their opinions, this country is in trouble.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,584
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Believe it or not, even as a publicly avowed atheist I don't actually begrudge the creation of a "safe room" for Christians. It doesn't bother me and there's no reason why it should. If fellow posters are being rude to the point that discussion on a topic becomes untenable, then I support extraordinary measures in venues such as this one that bring civility back to the forum. A great example of where I think "martial law" should be applied, as in the I.P. forum, is the environment subforum where paid shills have drowned out the discussion so that it's effectively become a demilitarized zone, but I'm starting to rant, so back on topic. Point being, the

    The problem is you're working off a definition of discrimination that has zero bearing on this topic. Yes, there is "discriminating taste," such as I prefer that cake over the other one, but that has nothing to do with things like workplace discrimination, or discriminating against customers based on their religion/ethnicity/etc., which has specific parameters [mostly] understood in law. You're confusing the definition of discrimination with a social and legal one.
    No, actually I'm not confusing discrimination between a social and legal definition. I acknowledge two kinds of discrimination. Positive discrimination and negative discrimination. Social discrimination is just overall discrimination period so that doesn't bother me. I outright reject the legal definition of discrimination. The reason for this is because the legal definition only covers certain forms of negative discrimination and due to that ignores other forms of negative discrimination. Which in itself is a negative discrimination. Once again I use myself as an example. Do you consider it discrimination that I was refused work due to my criminal history? That I was refused housing due to my criminal history? That I was refused state health insurance because I was a single white guy aged 24? I would hope the answer is yes for all of it. Yet that type of negative discrimination is allowed because the law does not prevent it. Yet it is just as harmful and just as negative as one or more voices being drowned out by a bunch of people that do not like [insert whatever here]. The negative effect of drowning out of voices may not be readily apparent. But I'm quite sure that the LGBT community, who did experience such, would admit that yes, it is discriminatory and does have a negative effect.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #179
    A grand violation

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,709

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Civility should be a must everywhere.
    The religion forum is more than just a forum where there can't be any discrimination. It's a forum where you are not allowed to post beliefs other a literal interpretation of scripture.

    And, I'd really like to hear the answer to that second question.
    While I support the creation of a safe room for religious people, I do have a big, big problem with religious threads moved into the damn religion forum after the fact. That is absolutely not cool.

  10. #180
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Do you feel Christians are Discriminated against in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Conservative Christians are the only religious/cultural group whom it is permissible to mock publicly. I'm agnostic, but I know unfair treatment when I see it.
    This. I'm intentionally non-religious but I am taken aback by the popularity Christian bashing has taken on as a sport.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •