View Poll Results: My marriage

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • changed

    3 6.12%
  • is exactly the same

    35 71.43%
  • is better thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    4 8.16%
  • is completely worthless thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • has been ruined thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • I'm divorcing because of SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • what ruling? Who's SCOTUS?

    1 2.04%
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 318

Thread: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

  1. #261
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    You are, as you probably aware, purposely misunderstanding my point. But anyway, why do you think that government instituted marriage benefits? It is hard for me to believe that you really believe that government did not have a goal in mind. You apparently think that government wanted people to get married, not in hope of raising stable families, but just because government liked the idea of "marriage". Weird.
    Are you aware that:

    --gays create families whether married or not? They have kids biologically and every other way that straight couples do. In some cases they have to overcome even more obstacles to do so, indicating very strong desire for family.

    --including gays in the govt marriage contract extends the same protections to their children as in heterosexual parent families, meaning their children now have MORE protections under the law than if SSM is not legal.

    So overall, if concerns are around children, it's hard to say SSM is not better for kids. No one can stop the relationships and families but the law extends protections to their kids.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Seen
    08-04-15 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    981

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    It ruined my marriage.

  3. #263
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Ahh! A good argument. But that still leads back to my question about why blood relatives are not allowed to marry. Certainly two "spinster" sisters can take on child raising responsibilities. Should they be allowed to marry? Should a grandparent and adult child/parent be allowed to marry, on the basis that they could find themselves sharing child-raising activities?
    Have you seen any people demanding this? BLood relatives dont need protections for children because their blood relationships already protect the kids.

    As for other concerns, again...who is demanding to marry blood relatives? Cousins can already marry in some states and the Earth hasnt stopped rotating and we havent seen an avalanche of birth defects.

    And again, as long as they are consenting adults, there are no laws that prevent their living together (in any manner they choose) now so you arent going to stop their behavior. Just dont see anyone demanding this type of marriage but if they did, I also dont care: we're back to consenting adults.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #264
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:42 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,667

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Update: It's been a couple weeks since the ruling, and my marriage has spiraled out of control. I have ceased to shower and my wife has resorted to sleeping with vegetables. The only topic we can discuss anymore is the Smurfs and which one is hot.
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  5. #265
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,767

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Update: It's been a couple weeks since the ruling, and my marriage has spiraled out of control. I have ceased to shower and my wife has resorted to sleeping with vegetables.
    If it is root vegetables than it was not the SCOTUS decision, but some other new revelation....
    My views are my views, then there is the Christian view:
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Of course the third world dregs are breeding like rabbits.

  6. #266
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,595

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Marriage is about what it means to the individual, marriage has never and will never belong solely to one religious group.
    No, 'marriage' is a societal defintion that neither belongs to individuals, nor to a particular religous group. That is why SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage did not also make polygamy legal.

  7. #267
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Have you seen any people demanding this? BLood relatives dont need protections for children because their blood relationships already protect the kids.

    As for other concerns, again...who is demanding to marry blood relatives? Cousins can already marry in some states and the Earth hasnt stopped rotating and we havent seen an avalanche of birth defects.

    And again, as long as they are consenting adults, there are no laws that prevent their living together (in any manner they choose) now so you arent going to stop their behavior. Just dont see anyone demanding this type of marriage but if they did, I also dont care: we're back to consenting adults.
    Not sure how many of my posts you have read on this subject. Everything that you write is correct. Not sure if it is important to wait for some group to demand change-laws should provide equal protection from the start. Same sex couples could live together for some time. as have hetero unmarried couples. There is no basis for tying marriage benefits to child raising as many hetero and same sex couples have no children. So my basic question was-Is there still a reason to have special benefits given to married people? Or, if there is, why not make it available to all, including blood relatives, polygamists, polyandrists, asexuals, non-sexuals, etc. who may have one or more people in their lives who they have tight, platonic perhaps, connections?
    I think that it is time to get government out of the marriage business. All those benefits of marriage are available through legal partnerships, power of attorneys, annuities, etc. Government simply makes it easier by wrapping this up in a neat and easy package.

  8. #268
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    These are red herrings. You made an argument against SSM. I showed you how you are wrong. These other issues are... other issues that have their own concerns.
    Clearly you have not read anything that I wrote. I am not against SSM nor does your proclaiming something a red herring make it so.

  9. #269
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Not sure how many of my posts you have read on this subject. Everything that you write is correct. Not sure if it is important to wait for some group to demand change-laws should provide equal protection from the start. Same sex couples could live together for some time. as have hetero unmarried couples. There is no basis for tying marriage benefits to child raising as many hetero and same sex couples have no children. So my basic question was-Is there still a reason to have special benefits given to married people? Or, if there is, why not make it available to all, including blood relatives, polygamists, polyandrists, asexuals, non-sexuals, etc. who may have one or more people in their lives who they have tight, platonic perhaps, connections?
    I think that it is time to get government out of the marriage business. All those benefits of marriage are available through legal partnerships, power of attorneys, annuities, etc. Government simply makes it easier by wrapping this up in a neat and easy package.
    I am coming in at the end so apologies.

    And basically I dont think the govt should be involved either but I've accepted it. I can see the positives in that as well.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #270
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Clearly you have not read anything that I wrote. I am not against SSM nor does your proclaiming something a red herring make it so.
    I have read everything you wrote. You made an argument against SSM. Your argument against marriage in general is a ruse. Until SSM started to become a reality, only extreme fringe people discussed getting government out of marriage altogether. Now, it's a common theme amongst the "softer" anti crowd.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •