View Poll Results: My marriage

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • changed

    3 6.12%
  • is exactly the same

    35 71.43%
  • is better thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    4 8.16%
  • is completely worthless thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • has been ruined thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • I'm divorcing because of SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • what ruling? Who's SCOTUS?

    1 2.04%
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 318

Thread: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

  1. #251
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Well, I really don't believe that anyone would think that marriage benefits were not established as an aid to families and would not have existed if not for the strong possibility that marriage and sex/child were interrelated. And I don't believe that many countries in Eastern Asia, suffering from declining populations, are not extensively investing in special benefits for couples to get married in the hopes that they will procreate.
    Your beliefs are not relevant. Is there a clause the requires someone to agree to have sex and procreate in order to get married?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #252
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Your beliefs are not relevant. Is there a clause the requires someone to agree to have sex and procreate in order to get married?
    You are, as you probably aware, purposely misunderstanding my point. But anyway, why do you think that government instituted marriage benefits? It is hard for me to believe that you really believe that government did not have a goal in mind. You apparently think that government wanted people to get married, not in hope of raising stable families, but just because government liked the idea of "marriage". Weird.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    07-10-15 @ 01:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    60

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Yes or no, and why if yes. Please.

    How long have you been married?

    Did the SSM ruling by SCOTUS somehow change your marriage?
    I am celebrating my 13th wedding anniversary today. My marriage is the same no matter what the Supreme Court decides.

  4. #254
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    You are, as you probably aware, purposely misunderstanding my point. But anyway, why do you think that government instituted marriage benefits? It is hard for me to believe that you really believe that government did not have a goal in mind. You apparently think that government wanted people to get married, not in hope of raising stable families, but just because government liked the idea of "marriage". Weird.
    Those "goals" have changed with time. In reality, the main goal of marriage benefits was to give people what they wanted, consideration for doing the right thing. Now, it is to recognize that people joined in marriage combine their households, living expenses, money earned, and make sacrifices for each other, do things that benefit society. It also recognizes that spouses sometimes need to be protected from the other.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #255
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    You are, as you probably aware, purposely misunderstanding my point.
    No, not at all. Perhaps you are presenting it poorly.

    But anyway, why do you think that government instituted marriage benefits? It is hard for me to believe that you really believe that government did not have a goal in mind. You apparently think that government wanted people to get married, not in hope of raising stable families, but just because government liked the idea of "marriage". Weird.
    People can raise stable families without procreating. In fact, the successful rearing of children is a main reason why government sanctions marriage. Notice that procreation is not part of this. And homosexuals raise children just as well as heterosexuals.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #256
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    People can raise stable families without procreating. In fact, the successful rearing of children is a main reason why government sanctions marriage. Notice that procreation is not part of this. And homosexuals raise children just as well as heterosexuals.
    Ahh! A good argument. But that still leads back to my question about why blood relatives are not allowed to marry. Certainly two "spinster" sisters can take on child raising responsibilities. Should they be allowed to marry? Should a grandparent and adult child/parent be allowed to marry, on the basis that they could find themselves sharing child-raising activities?

  7. #257
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    I got married on the day the decision was made. It made me smile for another reason before I took my vows.

  8. #258
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,065

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Ahh! A good argument. But that still leads back to my question about why blood relatives are not allowed to marry. Certainly two "spinster" sisters can take on child raising responsibilities. Should they be allowed to marry? Should a grandparent and adult child/parent be allowed to marry, on the basis that they could find themselves sharing child-raising activities?
    This post is surely the silver bullet against gay marriage.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #259
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how gay marriages stack up against the real thing. Libs do love their social experiments.
    Why do you think they will be any different, good or bad?

    Did any "libs" make that claim? I'd like to see it, if so.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #260
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Ahh! A good argument. But that still leads back to my question about why blood relatives are not allowed to marry. Certainly two "spinster" sisters can take on child raising responsibilities. Should they be allowed to marry? Should a grandparent and adult child/parent be allowed to marry, on the basis that they could find themselves sharing child-raising activities?
    These are red herrings. You made an argument against SSM. I showed you how you are wrong. These other issues are... other issues that have their own concerns.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •