View Poll Results: My marriage

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • changed

    3 6.12%
  • is exactly the same

    35 71.43%
  • is better thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    4 8.16%
  • is completely worthless thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • has been ruined thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • I'm divorcing because of SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • what ruling? Who's SCOTUS?

    1 2.04%
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 318

Thread: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

  1. #181
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,483

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    Don't forget the research showing children in single parent households are a majority of the children growing up in poverty.
    Read what I wrote again and see if I would agree with you.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #182
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    12-07-16 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,031
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Read what I wrote again and see if I would agree with you.
    I read it again and again saw your reference to a single parent household
    The question is more important than the answer!

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,483

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    While you try to paint every thing rosy, there are more and more books and accounts of children raised by same sex couples in such a short period of time even in this country who have now become adults that seem to differ from you. There is a constant complaint among all of them who have spoke out that the LGBT community goes in full bash mode to discredit and silence them.

    We now live in a time where youth have little respect for life. Why is that? The number of youth taking psychotic drugs just to cope with their daily life is at an all time high. Why is that? When you equate into the equation that an overwhelming all time high number of kids are being born and never have any physical or psychological history of their birth father, and now the issue of gay parents who either had to resort to an artificial means to conceive reproducing a child or adoption who also has no claim to a biological father or mother has nothing to do with the number of kids who seem to be screwed up? Let's add the number of parents that abandon their responsibilities to the children they reproduce whether it be through divorce, abandonment etc. because the laws in this country allow them to get away with it. Yet those kids who are fortunate to be raised in a traditional family with a mother and father seem to excel in life while the majority of those who are robbed of such an experience don't. Their lives become drama-O-rama.
    If you'd like, I could do a search of children who wrote books about all their complaint about being raised by heterosexual parents. There are THOUSANDS of them, my guess would be. So many people in history who's heterosexual parents abused them or parented them terribly.

    See what I just did? I demonstrated that your point is pointless. What you need to do is listen to RESEARCH, not anecdotal information. I have posted MANY research studies demonstrating that children raised by two gay parents do just as well as children raised by two straight parents. I've done this about 20 times in the past 9 years. I haven't done it in a while, because nowadays, it has pretty much become common knowledge that there is no difference between these two sets of parents. If you'd like, I'd be happy to post them again. I suspect that you wouldn't listen, but if you want, it won't take me long to find them.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #184
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Well as of about this time last year, Massachusetts had the fifth LOWEST marriage rate in the country, nowhere near the highest. See here:
    What States Have The Highest Marriage Rates?

    You're not batting a very good percentage supporting your argument.
    I do apologize. I was looking at something else. I was wrong.

    It was their change in reduction in marriage rate that was the thing being looked at. Almost every state has seen a reduction in marriage rates. Mass. started at a very low marriage rate. But their reduction in marriage has been less than many other states' rate. Look at the decline in the marriage rate for Nevada, who has always had the highest marriage rate in the country. It has been cut in half in just over a decade. Hawaii saw a spike around 2000, but then dropped by several points from there. Tennessee dropped its rate by 5 points since 1990.

    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/sta..._and_99-12.pdf

    Massachusetts saw a spike from an already downward trend in 2004 (the year same sex marriage was made legal there), and then dropped only 2.4 points total from that beginning one in 1990. Their change in rate would be better than 34 other states (although DC is better than them), including several of the states with the highest marriage rates.

    Same sex marriage being legal did not legitimate decrease their marriage rate. The trend that had already started throughout the country did. This is evident from the fact that they started at a much lower marriage rate than many of those other states when we compare to 1990.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #185
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,104

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I do apologize. I was looking at something else. I was wrong.

    It was their change in reduction in marriage rate that was the thing being looked at. Almost every state has seen a reduction in marriage rates. Mass. started at a very low marriage rate. But their reduction in marriage has been less than many other states' rate. Look at the decline in the marriage rate for Nevada, who has always had the highest marriage rate in the country. It has been cut in half in just over a decade. Hawaii saw a spike around 2000, but then dropped by several points from there. Tennessee dropped its rate by 5 points since 1990.

    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/sta..._and_99-12.pdf

    Massachusetts saw a spike from an already downward trend in 2004 (the year same sex marriage was made legal there), and then dropped only 2.4 points total from that beginning one in 1990. Their change in rate would be better than 34 other states (although DC is better than them), including several of the states with the highest marriage rates.

    Same sex marriage being legal did not legitimate decrease their marriage rate. The trend that had already started throughout the country did. This is evident from the fact that they started at a much lower marriage rate than many of those other states when we compare to 1990.
    It all supports my argument that you cannot change the definition of something without changing that something to be something it never was before. To change the definition of marriage, either socially/culturally or via the law, changes marriage into something different. What it was before no longer exists and therefore it becomes less desirable and important than it was before. And that, IMO, is detrimental to society as a whole and most especially to the children whether they are gay or straight.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #186
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    It all supports my argument that you cannot change the definition of something without changing that something to be something it never was before. To change the definition of marriage, either socially/culturally or via the law, changes marriage into something different. What it was before no longer exists and therefore it becomes less desirable and important than it was before. And that, IMO, is detrimental to society as a whole and most especially to the children whether they are gay or straight.
    That is a ridiculous, semantical argument. Marriage has never been just a single thing. Ever.

    Your opinion is based on pretty much nothing. You have no facts to back it up. It is basically just "this is how I feel". Well good for you. But those feelings don't mean crap when it comes to the laws. You don't get to tell others they can't get legally or even personally married or even raise children just because you feel they are "detrimental to society". You have no actual evidence of this fact. Some people feel that people of certain races and religions are "detrimental to society". Like you, they have no actual evidence to back this position up.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #187
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,740

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    I voted 'changed', but I needed an entry for 'remains to be seen'.

    Why?

    Because I'm now motivated to push for POLYGAMY to be the next big thing.

    I've been looking hard at my finances, and have been noting the spare bedroom vacated by my twenty-something daughter who recently moved on her own.

    - I think I can fit and afford another women in here!

    Yep.

    So, if we can get this polygamy thing going, and I can find a decent women that maybe my wife likes, I could be sitting pretty.

    Guys, if you can't see the advantages of this, you need to hand-in your man card.

    Everyone else is changing the definition of marriage - we can do this!
    You're too limited in your thinking. A man statistically has a better income, or so it is claimed, so what you want is another husband. Or better yet, do what I did and get one of each.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #188
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,740

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    IMO opinion the divorce rate is symptomatic of a culture that no longer values marriage as the cultural norm just as is the fact that so many people are no longer bothering to get married at all.
    There are a lot of us out there that are just not bothering with the legal paperwork. My wife and I were married for about 6 to 8 years before we went to get it legally documented. And we only did that for better mortgage rates.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #189
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,925

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    If you'd like, I could do a search of children who wrote books about all their complaint about being raised by heterosexual parents. There are THOUSANDS of them, my guess would be. So many people in history who's heterosexual parents abused them or parented them terribly.

    See what I just did? I demonstrated that your point is pointless. What you need to do is listen to RESEARCH, not anecdotal information. I have posted MANY research studies demonstrating that children raised by two gay parents do just as well as children raised by two straight parents. I've done this about 20 times in the past 9 years. I haven't done it in a while, because nowadays, it has pretty much become common knowledge that there is no difference between these two sets of parents. If you'd like, I'd be happy to post them again. I suspect that you wouldn't listen, but if you want, it won't take me long to find them.
    Good morning Captain.
    My "point" is only pointless to the one who disagrees. Even in your profession, not everyone is in agreement. That is why you find articles written by psychiatrists for and against same sex couples raising children. For and against different treatments for gender confusion. etc.

    Men and women are not only different physically, their minds work differently. But just as their physical bodies are designed to compliment one another in a relationship, so do their minds when working as a team. I call it the head and the heart. Too much of one or the other can result in bad consequences. It takes a balance of both. In all honesty, there are things my spouse contributed to the raising of our children that I lack simply because of my physical limits but most of all because the way I am wired. Even with two of me, there would still be that void and visa versa.

  10. #190
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Good morning Captain.
    My "point" is only pointless to the one who disagrees. Even in your profession, not everyone is in agreement. That is why you find articles written by psychiatrists for and against same sex couples raising children. For and against different treatments for gender confusion. etc.

    Men and women are not only different physically, their minds work differently. But just as their physical bodies are designed to compliment one another in a relationship, so do their minds when working as a team. I call it the head and the heart. Too much of one or the other can result in bad consequences. It takes a balance of both. In all honesty, there are things my spouse contributed to the raising of our children that I lack simply because of my physical limits but most of all because the way I am wired. Even with two of me, there would still be that void and visa versa.
    There are no absolutes to men and women having their minds work differently. None. They are generalities. In general, women like certain things and men like certain things. Women might be in general more likely to be caring, but that doesn't mean all women are. Men in general may be better at math. But that doesn't mean all men are, or that women can't be better than most men at math. Men in general may be more involved in disciplining children, but that doesn't mean all men prefer this role, or that some women don't prefer such a role, nor that they can't do it. Your entire premise is based on absolutes that are unsupportable, assumptions that differences that are reported as generalities between men and women are absolutes.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •