View Poll Results: My marriage

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • changed

    3 6.12%
  • is exactly the same

    35 71.43%
  • is better thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    4 8.16%
  • is completely worthless thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • has been ruined thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • I'm divorcing because of SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • what ruling? Who's SCOTUS?

    1 2.04%
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 318

Thread: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

  1. #171
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Millions of gay parents successful in raising kids? Really. How can that be when sodomy laws were still on the books as late as 2013 in some states. Gay marriage and gay adoption is relatively a new "thing". How on earth could there be so many indepth studies on kids being brought up by gay parents in such a short period of time in this country? For example here in Ohio gay marriage was banned until last Friday. In my state, it was unlikely a gay parent would receive custody of children in a divorce. And that was the case in many states where the people voted against it before the federal courts stripped their votes from them. It was unlikely in all those states where their states rights were trampled by activist judges because the ACLU who are pros at judge shopping overturned the votes of many states and now the Supremes have finished off the 14-15 states in a vote 5-4.

    Maybe it would be best to listen to accounts of children who are now adults raised by gay parents. Canada made same sex marriage and adoption to same sex couples law well over a decade ago. Maybe you would be interested in a book written by now an adult child that was raised by a gay parent and partner to get a little perspective.

    Dawn Stefanowicz is an internationally recognized speaker and author. She is a member of the Testimonial Committee of the International Children’s Rights Institute. Her book, Out From Under: The Impact of Homosexual Parenting, is available at Dawn Stefanowicz - Out From Under. Dawn, a full-time licensed accountant, is married and has two teenaged children. She writes.....


    http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/04/14899/

    I personally know a firefighter who was married for ten years and he and his wife produced two lovely girls. The wife decided she was a lesbian. They divorced. The court gave the father custody. The mother went to live with her lover. The father and two daughters went for indepth counseling. A couple of years ago he met a wonderful woman and remarried. The girls call her mom. They love their biological mother. They stay I touch. They are teens now and have the right to go and live with the other parent but there is no desire to. They like it right where they are.

    You and I will never agree on this issue. Nuff said.
    First of all, sodomy laws on the books mean nothing if they cannot be legally enforced. There were states with laws against interracial marriage on the books up til 2000. And some states still have laws keeping segregation on the books. Plus, several states repealed those sodomy laws long before the Lawrence decision.

    Second, my contention was that millions of children have been raised by same sex parents.

    How Many Children Have Gay Parents in the US?

    That is just US couples. Doesn't include those raised in other countries either. They aren't a majority by any means, but they do exist in much larger numbers than you seem to be aware of. And there were children being raised by same sex couples, homosexuals when I was a child. (Where the hell do you think the idea for "The Bird Cage" came from?)

    'Gayby boom': Children of gay couples speak out - CNN.com

    "Levey is part of the "gayby boom" generation. The 29-year-old management consultant is the son of a lesbian couple who chose to have a child through artificial insemination. He's their only child."

    The guy above is my age.

    "Their numbers are increasing as well, according to COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere). At least 10 million people have one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender parent."

    And you try to refute what I am saying by bringing up a child who is involved in a divorce, very little different than if the mother had left her father for another man and a woman who was unhappy with how she was raised, little different than many raised by opposite sex parents.

    Maybe you are the one who needs to listen to some children raised by same sex couples. I've never said that all same sex parents are going to be great. There are good and bad parents of any gender combination. You though are trying to contend that only opposite sex parents can raise successful adults. How about you share with us your exact definition of "successful" adult (and it shouldn't have anything to do with their feelings on same sex marriage or gay rights, nor anything about their parents).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #172
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,805

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Millions of gay parents successful in raising kids? Really. How can that be when sodomy laws were still on the books as late as 2013 in some states. Gay marriage and gay adoption is relatively a new "thing". How on earth could there be so many indepth studies on kids being brought up by gay parents in such a short period of time in this country? For example here in Ohio gay marriage was banned until last Friday. In my state, it was unlikely a gay parent would receive custody of children in a divorce. And that was the case in many states where the people voted against it before the federal courts stripped their votes from them. It was unlikely in all those states where their states rights were trampled by activist judges because the ACLU who are pros at judge shopping overturned the votes of many states and now the Supremes have finished off the 14-15 states in a vote 5-4.

    Maybe it would be best to listen to accounts of children who are now adults raised by gay parents. Canada made same sex marriage and adoption to same sex couples law well over a decade ago. Maybe you would be interested in a book written by now an adult child that was raised by a gay parent and partner to get a little perspective.

    Dawn Stefanowicz is an internationally recognized speaker and author. She is a member of the Testimonial Committee of the International Children’s Rights Institute. Her book, Out From Under: The Impact of Homosexual Parenting, is available at Dawn Stefanowicz - Out From Under. Dawn, a full-time licensed accountant, is married and has two teenaged children. She writes.....


    http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/04/14899/

    I personally know a firefighter who was married for ten years and he and his wife produced two lovely girls. The wife decided she was a lesbian. They divorced. The court gave the father custody. The mother went to live with her lover. The father and two daughters went for indepth counseling. A couple of years ago he met a wonderful woman and remarried. The girls call her mom. They love their biological mother. They stay I touch. They are teens now and have the right to go and live with the other parent but there is no desire to. They like it right where they are.

    You and I will never agree on this issue. Nuff said.
    Greetings, Vesper.

    I haven't talked with you much since your surgery - I hated to bother you if you didn't feel good - so how are you doing? From the sound of your post on getting a new phone, it appears you are at least having fun while you recuperate! Are you getting a lot of rain down your way? We sure are, but the Almanac promised a hot Summer this year, with normal rainfall - I am beginning to wonder when that kicks in, since I still have to use a light blanket for sleeping! Maybe July and August things will change, since the current weather sure reminds me of last year, and that's No Bueno!

  3. #173
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,925

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    First of all, sodomy laws on the books mean nothing if they cannot be legally enforced. There were states with laws against interracial marriage on the books up til 2000. And some states still have laws keeping segregation on the books. Plus, several states repealed those sodomy laws long before the Lawrence decision.

    Second, my contention was that millions of children have been raised by same sex parents.

    How Many Children Have Gay Parents in the US?

    That is just US couples. Doesn't include those raised in other countries either. They aren't a majority by any means, but they do exist in much larger numbers than you seem to be aware of. And there were children being raised by same sex couples, homosexuals when I was a child. (Where the hell do you think the idea for "The Bird Cage" came from?)

    'Gayby boom': Children of gay couples speak out - CNN.com

    "Levey is part of the "gayby boom" generation. The 29-year-old management consultant is the son of a lesbian couple who chose to have a child through artificial insemination. He's their only child."

    The guy above is my age.

    "Their numbers are increasing as well, according to COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere). At least 10 million people have one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender parent."
    While you try to paint every thing rosy, there are more and more books and accounts of children raised by same sex couples in such a short period of time even in this country who have now become adults that seem to differ from you. There is a constant complaint among all of them who have spoke out that the LGBT community goes in full bash mode to discredit and silence them.

    We now live in a time where youth have little respect for life. Why is that? The number of youth taking psychotic drugs just to cope with their daily life is at an all time high. Why is that? When you equate into the equation that an overwhelming all time high number of kids are being born and never have any physical or psychological history of their birth father, and now the issue of gay parents who either had to resort to an artificial means to conceive reproducing a child or adoption who also has no claim to a biological father or mother has nothing to do with the number of kids who seem to be screwed up? Let's add the number of parents that abandon their responsibilities to the children they reproduce whether it be through divorce, abandonment etc. because the laws in this country allow them to get away with it. Yet those kids who are fortunate to be raised in a traditional family with a mother and father seem to excel in life while the majority of those who are robbed of such an experience don't. Their lives become drama-O-rama.

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    While you try to paint every thing rosy, there are more and more books and accounts of children raised by same sex couples in such a short period of time even in this country who have now become adults that seem to differ from you. There is a constant complaint among all of them who have spoke out that the LGBT community goes in full bash mode to discredit and silence them.

    We now live in a time where youth have little respect for life. Why is that? The number of youth taking psychotic drugs just to cope with their daily life is at an all time high. Why is that? When you equate into the equation that an overwhelming all time high number of kids are being born and never have any physical or psychological history of their birth father, and now the issue of gay parents who either had to resort to an artificial means to conceive reproducing a child or adoption who also has no claim to a biological father or mother has nothing to do with the number of kids who seem to be screwed up? Let's add the number of parents that abandon their responsibilities to the children they reproduce whether it be through divorce, abandonment etc. because the laws in this country allow them to get away with it. Yet those kids who are fortunate to be raised in a traditional family with a mother and father seem to excel in life while the majority of those who are robbed of such an experience don't. Their lives become drama-O-rama.
    There are far more accounts from adults who were raised by same sex couples who actually turned out successful, well rounded, and with no issues with their parents than the alternative. You can always find exceptions. There are certainly plenty of unsuccessful people out there, psychotics, criminals, simply deadbeats who were raised by a married man and woman. I don't need to discredit them because their opinion on how much better their life might have been is nothing more than that, an opinion. In many cases, the irony is that they are successful members of society because of their parents, who were of the same sex.

    That last paragraph reads as just some random ranting about the youth.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #175
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,103

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You haven't shown anything.

    Also, I did not say that marriage was at "an all time high". I said that marriage was pretty frickin high, in the state of Mass. It was in comparison to other states, despite having had same sex marriage legal the longest. If traditional marriage were really that important, and same sex marriage was going to cause an issue with declining marriage rates, we wouldn't see some of the highest current marriage rates in the country in Massachusetts, where same sex marriage has been legal the longest.
    Well as of about this time last year, Massachusetts had the fifth LOWEST marriage rate in the country, nowhere near the highest. See here:
    What States Have The Highest Marriage Rates?

    You're not batting a very good percentage supporting your argument.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    1 Man & 1 Woman ... CHECK exactly the same and the way it IS supposed to be !!!
    In your opinion. Don't forget that line when you post something like this.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Just observing my own family members and my neighbors, those kids who are brought up in a one parent household who from time to time bring some lover into the home to play house for a little while seem to have one drama-o-rama after another when it comes to their children. Those who commit to marriage raising their children in a more secure/stable environment seem to fair much better. It certainly is better for society when they do.
    Good. So you must support SSM, since research has shown that two loving SINGLE sex parents raise children as well as two loving OPPOSITE sex parents, and better than single parents, overall.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Good one. Stable to me is a mother and a father. There's no way I could have contributed all that he did in raising our children.
    Stable to research is two loving parents regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #179
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    12-07-16 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,031
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Good. So you must support SSM, since research has shown that two loving SINGLE sex parents raise children as well as two loving OPPOSITE sex parents, and better than single parents, overall.
    Don't forget the research showing children in single parent households are a majority of the children growing up in poverty.
    The question is more important than the answer!

  10. #180
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,449

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    No...... by my logic that isn't the case. I personally believe to produce a well rounded child that will function well in society and have a better chance of experiencing success in life, it takes a mother and a father. There are some things women are very good at in nurturing a child. There are other things only a father can contribute. Two of the same gender are missing a key component that is needed for success in a child's healthy growth. Like I have stated before, there is no way I could have done it alone with the success we have seen in our own children which was a full time job for both of us. You could double the number of "me" and there would still be the absence of the attributes only a good father can contribute. It takes a male and a female to create a child. It takes a mother and a father to raise them successfully.
    Your "logic" is invalid when actual research is considered.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •