View Poll Results: My marriage

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • changed

    3 6.12%
  • is exactly the same

    35 71.43%
  • is better thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    4 8.16%
  • is completely worthless thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • has been ruined thanks to SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • I'm divorcing because of SCOTUS ruling

    2 4.08%
  • what ruling? Who's SCOTUS?

    1 2.04%
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 318

Thread: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

  1. #131
    Sage


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,833

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Yes or no, and why if yes. Please.

    How long have you been married?

    Did the SSM ruling by SCOTUS somehow change your marriage?
    Most developed countries recognize SSM as a right or no different than hetero sexual marriage and as such legally sanctified by the state. Even many churches perform SSM.
    WTHeck is the problem?.
    And as mentioned in another thread, ya still can't marry your sister or gopher, no matter what.
    And it ain't gonna lead to incest based marriages.
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    My husband and I are both in our first marriage and have been married for decades. The recent SCOTUS ruling will not affect us personally in any way.

    But what I do strongly believe is that the assault on the traditional family as an important and valuable American institution has been further eroded and made unimportant and irrelavent. By SCOTUS now, illegally and way outside its constitutional authority, forcing us to change the definition of marriage and thereby make marriage into something it never was and was never intended to be, more and more young people won't bother with it. We will have ever more children born out of wedlock and be much more likely to grow up without the advantage of the traditional family with a loving mother and father in the home.

    Marriage has always been about the children that were assumed to be the logical result of the marriage, and all marriage laws in all 50 states were designed first and foremost to protect the children. You cannot change the definition of something, however, without making that something into something different than what it was.

    IMO, while I have always supported the necessity and ability of gay people to have the necessary protections and rights enjoyed by others, and I have no animosity whatsoever to any gay person, the SCOTUS decision has done irreparable damage to the institution of marriage and we as a people, both straight and gay, will be the worse off for it.
    This is your personal opinion. Marriage has not always been about the children, especially not legal marriage. There is absolutely no damage done to marriage by allowing same sex couples to marry. Hell, even if your contention were partially true and the main reason for marriage was for children, same sex couples raise children, and they do nothing to harm children being raised by opposite sex married people. There are not going to be fewer children born because same sex couples are getting married. There are not going to be fewer happy, stable opposite sex marriages just because same sex couples can legally marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #133
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    What is relevant is that the Constitution is the highest law of this nation, and all public servants are required to act in strict accordance with it; including the Justices on the Supreme Court, whose oath and duty is to uphold it and to issue rulings in accordance with it—a duty which five of the members of that court blatantly violated on this occasion.

    Whether or not the Constitution can be described as “a moral or religious document” is completely irrelevant to its purpose and authority.
    The Constitution has not been violated by this ruling because the individuals have just as much right to protection of their rights as states do. In fact, individual citizens have more.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 06-28-15 at 07:26 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #134
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's because you're into horses instead.
    Must be it haha
    Life is short, ride a horse

  5. #135
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,104

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    This is your personal opinion. Marriage has not always been about the children, especially not legal marriage. There is absolutely no damage done to marriage by allowing same sex couples to marry. Hell, even if your contention were partially true and the main reason for marriage was for children, same sex couples raise children, and they do nothing to harm children being raised by opposite sex married people. There are not going to be fewer children born because same sex couples are getting married. There are not going to be fewer happy, stable opposite sex marriages just because same sex couples can legally marry.
    I think my opinion will likely hold up against close scrutiny and research than your opinion will.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #136
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I think my opinion will likely hold up against close scrutiny and research than your opinion will.
    No, apparently it didn't. And I doubt it would in the future, since it hasn't in the past. We have had laws that specifically ban first cousins in some states from getting married only if they can have children. There are no laws in the US that prevent people from getting married if they are sterile or too old to have children or already raised all the children they are going to have. We have had same sex marriage in the US for over a decade now and not only have we not seen a decrease in marriage where same sex couples can legally marry, but we have in fact seen some decreases in divorce, as well as pretty frickin high marriage rates. There is no logical connection between same sex couples getting married and a decrease in children being born, without some serious convoluted studies that have huge correlation equally causation problems.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #137
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,104

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, apparently it didn't. And I doubt it would in the future, since it hasn't in the past. We have had laws that specifically ban first cousins in some states from getting married only if they can have children. There are no laws in the US that prevent people from getting married if they are sterile or too old to have children or already raised all the children they are going to have. We have had same sex marriage in the US for over a decade now and not only have we not seen a decrease in marriage where same sex couples can legally marry, but we have in fact seen some decreases in divorce, as well as pretty frickin high marriage rates. There is no logical connection between same sex couples getting married and a decrease in children being born, without some serious convoluted studies that have huge correlation equally causation problems.
    2013
    Racial or ethnic group
    Percent of births considered "non-marital"

    Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders -17 percent
    Non-Hispanic whites - 29 percent
    Hispanics - 53 percent
    American Indian and Native Alaskans - 66 percent
    Non-Hispanic blacks - 73 percent
    TOTAL - roughly 40 percent in 2013 - up from 31 percent in 2005
    CNN's Don Lemon says more than 72 percent of African-American births are out of wedlock | PolitiFact

    Since 1970, out-of-wedlock birth rates have soared. In 1965, 24 percent of black infants and 3.1 percent of white infants were born to single mothers. By 1990 the rates had risen to 64 percent for black infants, 18 percent for whites.
    An Analysis of Out-Of-Wedlock Births in the United States | Brookings Institution

    Rates in 1950 were under 10%
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db18.pdf
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #138
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,483

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Marriage was established and defined by God, not by man, and no mortal institution has the authority to override God on this matter. Those who presume to do so will one day stand before God to be judged, and they will be held fully accountable for this evil.
    You always forget this line, Bob: "In my opinion, based on my purely individual and subjective beliefs, beliefs that mean absolutely nothing, generally". YOU believe that marriage is defined by God. Guess what? You're wrong. And we now have evidence to prove it. Your lack of acceptance of this is irrelevant.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Yes or no, and why if yes. Please.

    How long have you been married?

    Did the SSM ruling by SCOTUS somehow change your marriage?
    I'm single and ready for a pringle

  10. #140
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Has your marriage changed since SCOTUS ruling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm single and ready for a pringle
    Pringles are gross and unhealthy. Nothing good will come of it. I vote no on giving Peter a pringle.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •