View Poll Results: which are Constitutional rights?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • SSM

    12 23.53%
  • polygamy

    0 0%
  • both

    18 35.29%
  • neither

    18 35.29%
  • undecided/other

    3 5.88%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 152

Thread: the right to marry whoever

  1. #111
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    It was for both - to check for STDs and to also check for compatibility, genetically.
    No, not historically. They didn't have any kind of genetic tests when they started doing it I don't think.

  2. #112
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    And you, my friend, just demonstrated the common error most people make when it comes to poly. Polygamy simply refers to multiple spouses within a single marriage. Polygyny refers to one man many wives, while polyandry refers to one wife many husbands.

    Polygamous and polyamory are new terms that were coined to reflect the growing number of relationships that while committed, even if only for a relatively short term, are not marriages. An example would be where I currently have two wives and a husband, but am also dating a third woman. The third woman is not part of the polygamy but is part of the polyamory. Also do not confuse having multiple sex partners with polyamory. Polyamory is about the relationship and in some cases occur without sex being involved.
    Hey, look at that, you're right. Learn something every day...

  3. #113
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,094

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    marriage is the union of 2 people IMHO and I think it is unconstitutional to ban marriages of 2 men or 2 women. Polygamy is not a right, it has never been legally approved by the US goverment, not allowing polygamy does not discriminate against someone IMHO.
    the First Amendment gives everyone “the right to be very critical of a Petty, handicapped mocking, unbalanced, whiny so-called President and criticize him strongly.”

  4. #114
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,457

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    How do you know what I get or don't get from marriage?
    I don't, but beyond legal benefits there is no guarantee on what people get out of marriage nor anything that gives some sort of clue on what it is for. It's really just something people do to make themselves feel better while serving no real purpose or function to speak of.

  5. #115
    Advisor Rentoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Western Tennessee
    Last Seen
    01-20-17 @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    marriage is the union of 2 people IMHO and I think it is unconstitutional to ban marriages of 2 men or 2 women. Polygamy is not a right, it has never been legally approved by the US goverment, not allowing polygamy does not discriminate against someone IMHO.
    We used to always consider marriage the union of 1 man and 1 woman. Now it's 1 whatever and 1 whatever. Why can't it now be 1 or more whatever and 1 or more whatever. If it is peoples right to "marry" whomever they wish, why can't the whomever be multiple?

  6. #116
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    03-18-17 @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    marriage is the union of 2 people IMHO and I think it is unconstitutional to ban marriages of 2 men or 2 women. Polygamy is not a right, it has never been legally approved by the US government, not allowing polygamy does not discriminate against someone IMHO.
    Why is polygamy wrong? So many marriages end because one or the other is having sex outside the marriage. A large percentage of marriages exist even though the spouses are having relations with others. Since this is the case in so marriages why does humanity insist on only two in a marriage. Three would be good even four. If the spouses are "cheating" anyway why not include the partners into the relationship and save the marriage. So I ask why is polygamy wrong? If it is wrong because you say so it does not hold water. There needs to be a better reason than that. Is it because polygamy runs against the myths you were taught? Is it that you think it is disgusting? Why is it wrong?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,457

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Somehow I don't think the animals are worry about pleasure, especially those that don't use intercourse for procreation. Many things about our bodies are multi purpose. Our mouths are used for both talking and eating and even breathing at times, among other uses. Likewise, sex, a function of our bodies, can be used for both procreation and pleasure. Both can happen at the same time or separately. There are homosexual individuals who engage in physical intercourse purely for the purpose of procreation, and receive no pleasure from the act. Procreation can only be done with certain components, and quite frankly, intercourse is no longer a required component. Sex for pleasure can be accomplished with any number of of bodily components, in a variety of combinations.
    Quite frankly we have had this talk before when talking about anal sex and I see no reason to change my view towards it. It's obvious from the functions of the body that sexual organs exist with functionalities in mind and that sex is motivated by pleasure and urges. There is zero evidence to suggest that a vagina, penis, testiles, ovaries or the uterus would exist without procreation. It is frankly absurd to suggest gays are doing anything worthwhile or intended.

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,457

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Why is polygamy wrong? So many marriages end because one or the other is having sex outside the marriage. A large percentage of marriages exist even though the spouses are having relations with others. Since this is the case in so marriages why does humanity insist on only two in a marriage. Three would be good even four. If the spouses are "cheating" anyway why not include the partners into the relationship and save the marriage. So I ask why is polygamy wrong? If it is wrong because you say so it does not hold water. There needs to be a better reason than that. Is it because polygamy runs against the myths you were taught? Is it that you think it is disgusting? Why is it wrong?
    If it is considered cheating by those involved in the relationship then the decision to not be an open relationship(I think that is right term for it) has already been made and adding more people to the relationship would not work.

  9. #119
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    marriage is the union of 2 people IMHO and I think it is unconstitutional to ban marriages of 2 men or 2 women. Polygamy is not a right, it has never been legally approved by the US goverment, not allowing polygamy does not discriminate against someone IMHO.
    The relevant argument legally, whether it is a due process issue or an equal protection issue, is whether the state has a good reason to ban polygamy. If it doesn't have a legitimate reason at all, then it can't ban it no matter how the court interprets it. If it has a really weak reason, then there is some more wiggle room in the analysis. But I don't even see how a state has a legitimate reason in doing it.

  10. #120
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    03-18-17 @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: the right to marry whoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If it is considered cheating by those involved in the relationship then the decision to not be an open relationship(I think that is right term for it) has already been made and adding more people to the relationship would not work.
    It is called "cheating" or "marital infidelity" because we have all been schooled with the same myth that marriage is made for two. The myth is IMO humans are not monogamous. If this were true the occurrences of infidelity would be far lower. We were taught marriage was for two 1 man and 1 woman we find this is wrong. It can be 2 women or 2 men. The mythology of marriage is already deflated. The next myth is the number of participants. Why only two? Why not five. The number is arbitrary. All people do not marry. All people do not enter into same sex marriages. All people would not enter into polygamous relationships or marriages. These are options which certainly can fit the dynamic of marriage. As we grow and break through the myths we have been taught we can and will expand. If all of the participants are of the age of consent what difference does the number make. Marriages are already at around the 50% divorce rate. I have a relationship of more than women this works fine for all of us. So who is to say what works and what doesn't. It is up to the individual what they can handle. If the person is jealous and sees marriage as the ownership relationship it can be then polygamy would not work. But if marriage is freeing as it should be polygamy will work just fine.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •