View Poll Results: Is Political Correctness Real

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    83 83.00%
  • No

    8 8.00%
  • Other

    9 9.00%
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 456

Thread: Political Correctness

  1. #21
    Sage


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,848

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I didn't understand your answer hence the question.
    The answer was clear as day.
    Read it again.
    2nd sentence under the last quote.
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  2. #22
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    08-12-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Political Correctness

    Political correctness is to the left what religious fundamentalism is to the right. It represents a dogmatic outlook every bit as rigid, and with a sense of group think every bit as complete.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  3. #23
    Sage


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,848

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Political correctness is to the left what religious fundamentalism is to the right. It represents a dogmatic outlook every bit as rigid, and with a sense of group think every bit as complete.
    Do you mean the extreme at either end, right or left?
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  4. #24
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    08-12-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Do you mean the extreme at either end, right or left?
    I mean as in the function it plays, that function generally strengthening the further towards the extreme one gets on the political spectrum.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #25
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    35,532

    Re: Political Correctness

    I prefer being direct
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  6. #26
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,217

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    Yes. But most people don't know any better.
    IS using the term retarded when discussing a situation... like, that is retarded, offensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  7. #27
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    12-09-16 @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,859

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Is using the term 'retarded' to describe a mentally challenged person rude?
    it really depends, many people still us "mentally retarded" even at the local special Olympics and back in the day that was absolutely the PC term by definition

    the slur is "retard" and that is actually a slur against non-mentally retarded people when suggesting they are mentally retarded. But now the slur has and over PC has spread and some people find any of it offensive. Heck at the health center by my house there was a kid named Cory there and thats how he introduced himself. Hi my name is Corey and im mentally retarded" . . .great kid
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!

  8. #28
    Sage
    BrewerBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    6,445

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    IS using the term retarded when discussing a situation... like, that is retarded, offensive?
    This word really is in a category all its own and I will explain why. My familiarity with the subject is due to me having a younger brother who has cerebral palsy. He has an IQ around 70, has an emotional maturity level of around a 10 year old, and is heavily active in the Special Olympics and the Arc.

    He has a job he loves and he has at least 20 times as many friends as I have. And frankly, he is a better man than I am.

    As well adjusted as he is, the word "retarded" still makes him cry. When he was a child he was picked on ALL the time. I was two years older than him and I was getting in fights on a weekly basis with those who would bully him. Kids can be viscious. My brother has an incredible memory. He can tell you the jersey number of every single football player in the NFL. He can also remember every insult he ever received.

    Most adults who use the word retard or retarded would never dream of using it to insult someone with an actual developmental disability. But here is the difference between them and other minority groups. Many people with developmental disabilities don't have the emotional maturity to discern the intent behind the use. When many of them hear the word they are just reminded of the hell they went through growing up.

    So I would personally ask people to think twice when using the word around people you don't know. If my brother was standing behind you in a line you would not be able to tell he was different until you actually spoke to him. So odds are you would t notice him when you jokingly told your friend "Dude, that movie was so retarded". And you likely wouldn't notice when the large man behind you wiped a tear from his eyes as he started reliving all the times he was laughed at and called retarded.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,217

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    This word really is in a category all its own and I will explain why. My familiarity with the subject is due to me having a younger brother who has cerebral palsy. He has an IQ around 70, has an emotional maturity level of around a 10 year old, and is heavily active in the Special Olympics and the Arc.

    He has a job he loves and he has at least 20 times as many friends as I have. And frankly, he is a better man than I am.

    As well adjusted as he is, the word "retarded" still makes him cry. When he was a child he was picked on ALL the time. I was two years older than him and I was getting in fights on a weekly basis with those who would bully him. Kids can be viscious. My brother has an incredible memory. He can tell you the jersey number of every single football player in the NFL. He can also remember every insult he ever received.

    Most adults who use the word retard or retarded would never dream of using it to insult someone with an actual developmental disability. But here is the difference between them and other minority groups. Many people with developmental disabilities don't have the emotional maturity to discern the intent behind the use. When many of them hear the word they are just reminded of the hell they went through growing up.

    So I would personally ask people to think twice when using the word around people you don't know. If my brother was standing behind you in a line you would not be able to tell he was different until you actually spoke to him. So odds are you would t notice him when you jokingly told your friend "Dude, that movie was so retarded". And you likely wouldn't notice when the large man behind you wiped a tear from his eyes as he started reliving all the times he was laughed at and called retarded.
    Very effectively communicated! Thank you for that insight.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  10. #30
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,466

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Real or not... some think it isn't and they are generally the ones guilty of being Politically Correct.

    Thoughts....
    Yes, it's real, and sometimes it's good.

    Yes, there are places where we as a society tend to continue to use bigoted and hurtful language, and yes, changing the way we speak does help change the way we think. Any psychologist will tell the the affect behaviour and developing new habits has on re-wiring the brain. It's the basis of the most effective methods of self-change.

    Yes, it can also be over-done and stop us from having meaningful and emotionally honest conversations about issues that are frankly just not simple. It can also be used as a tool to further a harmful agenda, even while it may at first blush seem like an improvement to some people, stunting us intellectually from addressing the real issue.

    PC is real and as positive as the person using it.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-25-15 at 07:26 PM.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •