View Poll Results: Is Political Correctness Real

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    83 83.00%
  • No

    8 8.00%
  • Other

    9 9.00%
Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 456

Thread: Political Correctness

  1. #251
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,217

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    What does almost everything mean though? Did you get input directly from HR or are you speculating?
    HR? We don't have an HR. It means we have a small staff and that she made her comments publicly to everybody to hear and that the result is as I described.

    Everything I am stating is merely a fact. Now, stick with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  2. #252
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-01-16 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    HR? We don't have an HR. It means we have a small staff and that she made her comments publicly to everybody to hear and that the result is as I described.

    Everything I am stating is merely a fact. Now, stick with that.
    Look I'm just trying to have an exchange with you here and blindly buy into your outrage. You left a lot out. Excuse me for asking questions.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #253
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,217

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Look I'm just trying to have an exchange with you here and blindly buy into your outrage. You left a lot out. Excuse me for asking questions.
    It is a topic... not outrage. In fact, I am glad I didn't get the position again because after years of it I was tired of it. What she did, and what the administration allowed, was sexism, that's all.

    Now, it has been cleared up for you... your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  4. #254
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    As hoped according to your agenda and I know very well what free speech is... You say making racist comments is bad and so you support Political Correctness that ruins free speech. Justification... that's all. Doesn't make a logical point either.
    You aren't following. Free speech isn't a condition where decent people are forced into silence because speaking out against bigots and idiots would make the bigots and idiots feel ashamed... Exactly the opposite. Free speech is a condition where everybody is free to denounce those who they think are idiots and bigots as loud as they want. Free speech is a powerful tool for crushing things like racism. That's the whole point of it- to expose evil and stupid ideas and move society past them.

  5. #255
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,651

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    You aren't following. Free speech isn't a condition where decent people are forced into silence because speaking out against bigots and idiots would make the bigots and idiots feel ashamed... Exactly the opposite. Free speech is a condition where everybody is free to denounce those who they think are idiots and bigots as loud as they want. Free speech is a powerful tool for crushing things like racism. That's the whole point of it- to expose evil and stupid ideas and move society past them.
    That's a very aggressive, pro-male, pro-violence attitude of force. I'm deeply offended, and I'm going to carry a mattress around until your place of business fires you and the news makes you unhireable. Your life deserves to be destroyed because of my feelings about this post.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  6. #256
    Global Moderator
    Old stary eyes
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    23,678

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ... Can't remember where we left it so I will pick up the debate from here. USA just beat Japan in Women's World Cup!!

    USA

    USA

    USA
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't there! Congrats to the USA footballing women. They thoroughly deserved the trophy - they were the best team by some distance in the competition, but watch out, the English are coming!
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #257
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That's a very aggressive, pro-male, pro-violence attitude of force. I'm deeply offended, and I'm going to carry a mattress around until your place of business fires you and the news makes you unhireable. Your life deserves to be destroyed because of my feelings about this post.
    Well, by all means, free speech gives you a right to do that. But, the beauty of free speech is that it gives others the choice whether they want to support your view or mine. If a lot of people do take your view, and few take mine, then your view will ultimately prevail and I will be publicly discredited and shamed. The hope behind free speech is that that process isn't random- good ideas tend to get more support and bad ideas tend to get less support. So, if your position is sound, you should come out on top in that exchange, but if it is not, you most likely won't.

    The goal of free speech is not to protect the speakers of dumb ideas from criticism, it is to hone our society's position on issues.

  8. #258
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,651

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    Well, by all means, free speech gives you a right to do that. But, the beauty of free speech is that it gives others the choice whether they want to support your view or mine. If a lot of people do take your view, and few take mine, then your view will ultimately prevail and I will be publicly discredited and shamed. The hope behind free speech is that that process isn't random- good ideas tend to get more support and bad ideas tend to get less support. So, if your position is sound, you should come out on top in that exchange, but if it is not, you most likely won't.

    The goal of free speech is not to protect the speakers of dumb ideas from criticism, it is to hone our society's position on issues.




    Let's break it down:

    Well, by all means, free speech gives you a right to do that. But, the beauty of free speech is that it gives others the choice whether they want to support your view or mine. If a lot of people do take your view, and few take mine, then your view will ultimately prevail and I will be publicly discredited and shamed
    This is unfortunately not true. If the people who take my view are louder and more willing to exert coercion to get their way in this argument, then my view will prevail and you will be publicly discredited and shamed. What we are discussing here isn't an electoral process, but rather the electronic version of whipped-up mobs.

    The hope behind free speech is that that process isn't random- good ideas tend to get more support and bad ideas tend to get less support.
    Unfortunately this is also not necessarily true - people like bad ideas quite a lot, especially when they come hooked to emotion.

    So, if your position is sound, you should come out on top in that exchange, but if it is not, you most likely won't.
    In a nation of Spocks', perhaps . In the United States, not so much.

    The goal of free speech is not to protect the speakers of dumb ideas from criticism, it is to hone our society's position on issues
    The goal of free speech is to limit repression by limiting the ability of the majority to shut a minority up. It is hoped that a result can be to hone a society's position on issues, but in order for that to happen there has to be a reasoned, public debate. Using media (social and traditional) to whip up mobs to shut your opposition up doesn't hone anything.
    Last edited by cpwill; 07-06-15 at 02:38 PM.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Seen
    08-04-15 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    981

    Re: Political Correctness

    Political Correctness is the newspeak idealogy of the new Stasi. A lot of people don't realize that most times when a mob is bullying an individual who's been politically incorrect, the mob is being incited by paid secret police. Hard to believe? I would have thought so once too.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    09-08-15 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    PC is just a transitional phase until we get to Newspeak.
    Its weakness and cowardice.

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •