View Poll Results: Is Political Correctness Real

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    83 83.00%
  • No

    8 8.00%
  • Other

    9 9.00%
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 456

Thread: Political Correctness

  1. #191
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,769
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It doesn't prevent anything... what it is, is the socially acceptable language of any given period.

    Political Correctness has always been with us in one way or another.

    in 1960 - Absolutely unacceptable to be gay.

    in 2015 - Not so cool to go and call someone a faggot

    In 1950 - highly ill advised to admit one was a communist

    in 2015 - Who. ****ing. Cares.

    Political Correctness is just people being pissed off it isn't as mainstream to say certain things anymore but you can absolutely say them... it just means more people may not want to associate with you after you say them in every circumstance above I just listed.

    Pretty darn simple stuff.
    Skokie, IL has a large Jewish population. The American Nazi Party planned a demonstration in Skokie. The city moved to block them. The ACLU argued on behalf of the Nazis and the demonstration took place. To me that has always been the standard of excellence. Voltaire famously said: "I hate what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Anything else diminishes freedom.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #192
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,769
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Political Correctness

    K
    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    I mean if your objection is only to actually preventing people from speaking, sure, I suppose that is rude. That isn't a very close match to what "political correctness" seems to refer to though. For example, if somebody says that something somebody else said was racist, no matter how politely and quietly and whatnot they say it, the person who said the thing will almost invariably accuse them of trying to shut them down with political correctness. It's the strength of the accusation- calling something evil- that the people objecting to "political correctness" feel is shutting them down, not actual yelling over or something. I mean, on a forum how would it even be possible to shout somebody down to the point where they couldn't post their thoughts? Yet people are accused of political correctness constantly on forums.
    Please see my #191.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #193
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon

    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,805
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Skokie, IL has a large Jewish population. The American Nazi Party planned a demonstration in Skokie. The city moved to block them. The ACLU argued on behalf of the Nazis and the demonstration took place. To me that has always been the standard of excellence. Voltaire famously said: "I hate what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Anything else diminishes freedom.
    How in any way does that connect with what I said.

    In the end, the Nazi's got to do what they did and express themselves and for better or worse that's all well and good.

    But tell me... if you knew an acquaintance who took part in that march on the Nazi side... do you think you'd still associate with that person after that?

  4. #194
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Skokie, IL has a large Jewish population. The American Nazi Party planned a demonstration in Skokie. The city moved to block them. The ACLU argued on behalf of the Nazis and the demonstration took place. To me that has always been the standard of excellence. Voltaire famously said: "I hate what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Anything else diminishes freedom.
    Ok, now that you have the city blocking it, you're just talking about violation of the first amendment. The first amendment can be violated in the name of "political correctness", but it could be violated in the name of anything else too. If your objection is to impairing people's free speech rights, I think we'd probably all agree with you on that, but that doesn't really address the topic of so-called "political correctness." "Political correctness" is generally an accusation that is lobbed at anybody who expresses the view that it is wrong to say something that the speaker thinks it is not wrong to say. For example, if a Nazi starts ranting about the Jews and you tell him you think what he is saying is evil, he will accuse you of political correctness.

  5. #195
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-16 @ 02:46 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    848

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It doesn't prevent anything... what it is, is the socially acceptable language of any given period.

    Political Correctness has always been with us in one way or another.
    Except that now - this stuff has fangs. People lose their jobs over this stuff; parents have their children snatched from them by the state; etc. The left is who/what drives this crap - and the left is vicious.

    in 1960 - Absolutely unacceptable to be gay.

    in 2015 - Not so cool to go and call someone a faggot

    In 1950 - highly ill advised to admit one was a communist

    in 2015 - Who. ****ing. Cares.

    Political Correctness is just people being pissed off it isn't as mainstream to say certain things anymore but you can absolutely say them... it just means more people may not want to associate with you after you say them in every circumstance above I just listed.

    Pretty darn simple stuff.
    It is interesting that you bring up "communism", the most overt form of authoritarianism - b/c PC is nothing more than "speech codes" backed up by the power of the state - which springs from an authoritarian foundation.

    In case you haven't noticed, and I know you and most Americans haven't, America is quickly becoming an authoritarian state. The Patriot Act guts the Bill of Rights, and grants the government sweeping, unaccountable, unconstitutional powers; Obamacare is overt government force - codified nowhere in the Constitution; forced "association and commerce"; speech codes, and penalties backed up by the force of the government for violating them; etc...

    All of that and everything else the FedGov is doing is properly founded in authoritarianism.

    Who cares?? I care... anyone who desires to live free from the coercion and power of the government or their neighbor should care.

  6. #196
    Global Moderator
    Old stary eyes
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    23,676

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I am not sure I agree with that although I have to go... have a good weekend.
    You too. Give my love to the Kiwis.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #197
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,635

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It doesn't prevent anything... what it is, is the socially acceptable language of any given period.

    Political Correctness has always been with us in one way or another.

    in 1960 - Absolutely unacceptable to be gay.

    in 2015 - Not so cool to go and call someone a faggot

    In 1950 - highly ill advised to admit one was a communist

    in 2015 - Who. ****ing. Cares.

    Political Correctness is just people being pissed off it isn't as mainstream to say certain things anymore but you can absolutely say them... it just means more people may not want to associate with you after you say them in every circumstance above I just listed.

    Pretty darn simple stuff.
    Incorrect. Political correctness is the attempt to silence those things from even being said.
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  8. #198
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,769
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    How in any way does that connect with what I said.

    In the end, the Nazi's got to do what they did and express themselves and for better or worse that's all well and good.

    But tell me... if you knew an acquaintance who took part in that march on the Nazi side... do you think you'd still associate with that person after that?
    We're not talking about personal relationships.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #199
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,769
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    Ok, now that you have the city blocking it, you're just talking about violation of the first amendment. The first amendment can be violated in the name of "political correctness", but it could be violated in the name of anything else too. If your objection is to impairing people's free speech rights, I think we'd probably all agree with you on that, but that doesn't really address the topic of so-called "political correctness." "Political correctness" is generally an accusation that is lobbed at anybody who expresses the view that it is wrong to say something that the speaker thinks it is not wrong to say. For example, if a Nazi starts ranting about the Jews and you tell him you think what he is saying is evil, he will accuse you of political correctness.
    Political correctness is precisely the attempt by non-government authorities to act in ways that would violate the First Amendment if attempted by the government.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #200
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Political Correctness

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Real or not... some think it isn't and they are generally the ones guilty of being Politically Correct.

    Thoughts....
    I see political correctness as a modern undeclared mental disorder.

Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •