View Poll Results: Which would you support on federal or state property?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Confederate and black power flags

    2 4.88%
  • Only confederate

    5 12.20%
  • Only black power

    0 0%
  • neither

    34 82.93%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96

Thread: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

  1. #61
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    I must have been sleeping through the history class where we learned about the Black Power States of America.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #62
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    12-09-16 @ 06:43 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,933

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Both groups should just fly this flag and problem solved. I can't imagine anyone possibly objecting to it.

    You are not offending enough folks with that flag.





    Try this one.






    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  3. #63
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    12-09-16 @ 06:43 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,933

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    When the black folks were sold into slavery (which was legal) was that an act of racism or just legal commerce?
    The driving force behind slavery was economic, BUT dehumanizing the slave helps to morally justify having one person work for another under slave conditions. Thus it helps to, say, compare a black man to a monkey. Today we see human trafficking closely linked to “whores” who are completely dehumanized and abused in the sex trade. Same concept.
    TRANSLATED ANSWER: No, it was not racism, but an act of legal commerce.
    Whether or not it was dehumanizing to those who were not considered human is irrelevant to the fact that is was an act of legal commerce and not based on hatred or racism.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    When black folks in this country owned slaves was that racism?
    I don’t think so, no.
    Exactly.
    It was an act of legal commerce and not based on hatred or racism.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    But, to answer your question, when you’re a conquering army you don’t need to morally justify anything. You can pretty much do what you want.
    Conquering army? I did not mention any such invasion by an army, as that was not the capturing and enslaving I was talking about.
    There is a much wider scope involved here. These folk attacked ships and sailed up the coasts invading villages and taking their slaves.
    While you can call them invaders, it wasn't an army at war.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    I don’t see that situation analogous to that of blacks in the U.S.
    The point is that the act of slavery in that specific was not based on racism just as the others are not.

    It was an act not based on hatred or racism.
    Which is the whole point of the questions. The answers show that others thinking it represented hate and racism as something that came later, as the institution of slavery did not represent that.

    Wanting to keep a legal institution legal (slavery), wasn't just the driving force as you say, but the basis of it. Not hate and racism.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  4. #64
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,118

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You are not offending enough folks with that flag.





    Try this one.






    Why would it offend anyone? It's visual diversity?
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #65
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,118

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    This is really getting silly now:

    If you've been watching the news recently, you'll know of the huge debate in the U.S over the role of the Confederate flag in contemporary America. Many see it as a reminder of the many pre-Civil War injustices while others see it simply as a way to honor the soldiers who died for the Confederacy. Many large US companies, like Walmart and Amazon, have already banned the sale of any Confederate flag merchandise as a reaction to the recent events. Now, it appears that Apple has decided to join them by pulling many Civil War wargames from the App Store. As of the writing of this story, games like Ultimate General: Gettysburg and all the Hunted Cow Civil War games are nowhere to be found.

    Apple Removes All American Civil War Games From the App Store Because of the Confederate Flag | Touch Arcade
    But Steam comes to the rescue:

    Yesterday, Apple pulled a number of games that contained the U.S. Confederate flag from the app store without warning. Today, one of those games is highlighted on Steam’s front page—and players are rallying around it.

    Civil War Game Pulled From Apple Store Now Doing Great On Steam
    Нава́льный 2018

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    If you support the government flying the confederate flag would you also support flying these flags on federal property as a symbol of pride and history? As someone already pointed out, removing the words on the pictures. Just using the symbols themselves.

    Attachment 67186212Attachment 67186213
    Here in SD we have tribal symbols on public buildings, like a religious totem poll at one of the highschools; and natives lost that war too.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,118

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    TRANSLATED ANSWER: No, it was not racism, but an act of legal commerce.
    Whether or not it was dehumanizing to those who were not considered human is irrelevant to the fact that is was an act of legal commerce and not based on hatred or racism.
    Yeah, but we're really talking about the flag, not slavery. I mean, why would Georgia, for example, put a huge Confederate Battle Flag on its state flag in 1956, almost 100 years after slavery ended? The fact is you had a lot of white folks who didn't like blacks in their schools, restaurants, hotels, parks, etc, and they wanted to send a message to the country and federal government that no one was going to tell them how they should treat their niggers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Conquering army? I did not mention any such invasion by an army, as that was not the capturing and enslaving I was talking about.
    There is a much wider scope involved here. These folk attacked ships and sailed up the coasts invading villages and taking their slaves.
    While you can call them invaders, it wasn't an army at war.
    Okay, I thought you were referring to the Moorish invasion of the Iberian Peninsula, but, be that as it may, you're engaging in a distinction without a difference. Whether the people were enslaved with an army or a naval incursion or landing force is irrelevant to my point, which was the invader depended on military force and had no interest in the moral aspect of slavery.
    Нава́льный 2018

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,697

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Here in SD we have tribal symbols on public buildings, like a religious totem poll at one of the highschools; and natives lost that war too.
    Tribal high school?
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  9. #69
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,697

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Yeah, but we're really talking about the flag, not slavery. I mean, why would Georgia, for example, put a huge Confederate Battle Flag on its state flag in 1956, almost 100 years after slavery ended? The fact is you had a lot of white folks who didn't like blacks in their schools, restaurants, hotels, parks, etc, and they wanted to send a message to the country and federal government that no one was going to tell them how they should treat their niggers.
    Essential truth.
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  10. #70
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,131

    Re: If you support the government flying the confederate flag......

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Since the other person hasn't replied, is there anyone else who would like to answer the questions posed?
    It is racist only to the extent that a people of one race assumed power over the people of another race. They did so for economic or sometimes political purposes, not because they hated the people just because they were of a different race. It was racist because they considered those they enslaved inferior to themselves. If it was a matter of hate, they would have simply tried to kill or remove the race they hated.

    IMO we as a people have so politicized and polarized the issue of racism that many now assign 'racism' to what is in no way racist and fail to see what is racist in what they themselves promote or support.

    And more sadly, the tendency is to demand that others support our sociopolitical views or else they are targeted to be demonized and, if possible, crushed. Such is a very unhealthy thing for a people who presumably value liberty. Such as people not being allowed to assign their own interpretation of the Confederate flag and declared racist if they do not see it in the politically correct definition.
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 06-27-15 at 09:54 AM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •