View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 98 of 270 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #971
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,202

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by plutonium View Post
    im not even going to talk about blacks being slaves in the south..
    Really?

    the thing is the south wanted to break off from the rest of the country.. now either we are a country together or a bunch of little separate countries.
    Profound

    don't say I love the united states in one sentence and say I feel each state can do what it wants in another or break away when it wants to.. you cant have both..
    No, you say both in one sentence.

    there is a saying in America: love it or leave it!!! but you cannot take the real estate!!!
    That is a "Saying" in the US? Since when?

    by the way if texas was to break away from the united states do you think we would let you keep the nukes???
    We have another "saying" in the United States: Finders Keepers.

    If that one doesn't work then: Possession is 9/10ths of the law...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  2. #972
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I always check the sources of the information that people are trying to peddle. As it turns out you are the one trying to indoctrinate people. You hide behind a dead mans story that has zero evidence, and peddle a book that is full of lies.
    But.... but.... revisionist Yankee garbage!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  3. #973
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-01-16 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    too many babies crying about a flag.

    it's a cool flag... keep it.
    Why do you think it's cool?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  4. #974
    Repentless
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,619

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    2. IS the truth, not revisionist yankee garbage
    Lol yankee? Is it the 1800's? I hate to break it to a Southerner but y'all are Easterners now.

  5. #975
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,686

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Why do you think it's cool?
    You werent asking me.... but my answer is...

    When you dont add meaning to it... By its visual design.... I very much like its appearance.

    Same for the 1st Confederate Flag the original "Stars and Bars"... it looks pretty good too.

    However the "Stainless Banner" and the "Stainless Banner with Red Stripe" ..... those flags looked like garbage.

  6. #976
    Repentless
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,619

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    So you discount memories from veterans of any conflict just because you may not see them in a clearly biased book? How sad.
    No I said that I dont believe you personally, because you are telling embellished rumors. In order to prove that what you are saying has any worth you would need direct evidence. As it stands you have zero actual proof that you grandpa even said any of the things that you claim. Or that he didnt lie to you.


    WHat is sad though is you trying to make it look I am just blindly following some mysterious source, while you assert your claims solely on a mysterious source ( your Grandpa) and a book that was written by white supremacists.

  7. #977
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-01-16 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You werent asking me.... but my answer is...

    When you dont add meaning to it... By its visual design.... I very much like its appearance.

    Same for the 1st Confederate Flag the original "Stars and Bars"... it looks pretty good too.

    However the "Stainless Banner" and the "Stainless Banner with Red Stripe" ..... those flags looked like garbage.
    I can appreciate that from a purely aesthetic perspective but I think respecting social context is more important.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #978
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,686

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I can appreciate that from a purely aesthetic perspective but I think respecting social context is more important.
    Social context is whatever the individual decides to apply to it.

    I hate society trying to tell us how we MUST view certain symbols.

    Thats how a once respected symbol of eastern religions, the swastica, is now an evil symbol of jew hatred.

    Its original symbology is a symbol of "well being"

  9. #979
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-01-16 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Social context is whatever the individual decides to apply to it.

    I hate society trying to tell us how we MUST view certain symbols.

    Thats how a once respected symbol of eastern religions, the swastica, is now an evil symbol of jew hatred.

    Its original symbology is a symbol of "well being"
    I understand your point. I really do. There is validity to it. I guess I value considering the social repercussions of empathy on our society as a whole, more worthy. In this case, for me, there is more value to our community in respecting the justified outrage and outcry of black americans than there is denying it to cater to a select few who may in all sincerity hold a wholly different connection to this symbol. I think of it as grace and I respect it
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  10. #980
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    No I said that I dont believe you personally, because you are telling embellished rumors. In order to prove that what you are saying has any worth you would need direct evidence. As it stands you have zero actual proof that you grandpa even said any of the things that you claim. Or that he didnt lie to you.


    WHat is sad though is you trying to make it look I am just blindly following some mysterious source, while you assert your claims solely on a mysterious source ( your Grandpa) and a book that was written by white supremacists.
    Wonder if she's been to college yet, and had to cite sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •