View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 96 of 270 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 960 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #951
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,113

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    In other words I read things that tell the truth and supposedly I am in denial??? How funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1. isn't the truth - it's grandpa's anecdotes. We know, you love him.
    2. Not the truth
    3. Not the truth.

    She still doesn't even accept the word "slavery" or "slaves" is in the Confederate Constitution.

    ^ Is this the truth, or not? ^

  2. #952
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,113

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    As was pointed out before, in ancient times and even now in some places, history is and was handed down orally.
    You know, we had this thing called the printing press, and newspapers and speeches, and documents, and even the telegraph back then!

    *shocking* I know.

    Hell, we even had cameras! Kin you bereeve it?

  3. #953
    Dungeon Master
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,987

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    The father or the son?

    https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,6238795&hl=en

    Either way, that seems to be your personal bugaboo to battle.
    I appreciate your effort, I do. But that isn't documentation and it is from a paper printed in 1922.

    Forrest represents nothing personal to me. I happened to have read books about him over the years. I suppose most people who are truly interested in the War Between the States have a favorite general/leader/battle or two. Forrest interested me for a number of reasons. He was a very complex man, brilliant in many ways, though not particularly educated. Depending on what you read Forrest was either a saint or the devil himself. Of course he was neither.

    I have lurked on a number of flag hysteria threads on DP. I have said very little and in fact I don't intend to say much at all. I brought Forrest up as I've seen him mentioned a few times by people who have attempted to demonize the South in general, past and present. In their haste to label all things Southern as trash and worthless; in their hysteria to denigrate Southern people as racist morons and treasonous bastards, many here - and frankly several people I thought I new better - have based their sweeping accusations and blatant untruths on willful ignorance and lies. Forrest was an easy example in making my point.

    The battle flag threads are waaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. People have lost it. The threads went quickly from a discussion of racism to "gotcha". You might check your own posts in that regard.

    DP has seen its share of racists, Nazis, KKK sympathizers and white supremacists but you know what? DP has seen a comparatively scant response to racists posting here and the like! That's right. You can go back and search till your heart's content.

    The flag hysteria was originally about the Confederate battle flag and its use by racists. The topic itself wasn't about racism per say. In the past we have seen that while racism expressed here is not welcomed by many on DP, it certainly isn't a hot topic. Expressing one's disgust for the Confederate battle flag on DP is tantamount to putting a yellow ribbon decal on your car bumper during Desert Storm. It makes some people feel as if they are doing something without actually doing anything. No sacrifice, no real commitment involved just a little social/political masturbation to make shallow people feel good for a minute.

    Racism is wrong and it is ugly because it is based in hate. I see few people involved in flag hysteria actually discussing solutions to racism. Ironically black people and brown people and all people who are non-white, all people who are discriminated against are getting shat upon once again as the subject has been diverted, often via the expression of hatred, I might add.

    So no, it wasn't (isn't) about Forrest or Southern culture or who won the war. It's not about "gotcha" and you have no idea how ****ing tired I am of "gotcha" on DP. It is about ending racism and discrimination in America. But that topic can't really be discussed on DP for more that 10 posts before it devolves into mindless drivel.
    Last edited by Risky Thicket; 07-02-15 at 04:56 PM.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  4. #954
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,925

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by digitusmedius View Post
    I will not be a party to calling you a moron just to preserve your charm.
    But you don't state that I am not a moron meaning you believe it to be true...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  5. #955
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,113

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    I appreciate your effort, I do. But that isn't documentation and it is from a paper printed in 1922.

    Forrest represents nothing personal to me. I happened to have read books about him over the years. I suppose most people who are truly interested in the War Between the States have a favorite general/leader/battle or two. Forrest interested me for a number of reasons. He was a very complex man, brilliant in many ways, though not particularly educated. Depending on what you read Forrest was either a saint or the devil himself. Of course he was neither.

    I have lurked on a number of flag hysteria threads on DP. I have said very little and in fact I don't intend to say much at all. I brought Forrest up as I've seen him mentioned a few times by people who have attempted to demonize the South in general, past and present. In their haste to label all things Southern as trash and worthless; in their hysteria to denigrate Southern people as racist morons and treasonous bastards, many here - and frankly several people I thought I new better - have based their sweeping accusations and blatant untruths on willful ignorance and lies. Forrest was an easy example in making my point.

    The battle flag threads are waaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. People have lost it. The threads went quickly from a discussion of racism to "gotcha". You might check your own posts in that regard.

    DP has seen its share of racists, Nazis, KKK sympathizers and white supremacists but you know what? DP has seen a comparatively scant response to racists posting here and the like! That's right. You can go back and search till your heart's content.

    The flag hysteria was originally about the Confederate battle flag and its use by racists. The topic itself wasn't about racism per say. In the past we have seen that while racism expressed here is not welcomed by many on DP, it certainly isn't a hot topic. Expressing one's disgust for the Confederate battle flag on DP is tantamount to putting a yellow ribbon decal on your car bumper during Desert Storm. It makes some people feel as if they are doing something without actually doing anything. No sacrifice, no real commitment involved just a little social/political masturbation to make shallow people feel good for a minute.

    Racism is wrong and it is ugly because it is based in hate. I see few people involved in flag hysteria actually discussing solutions to racism. Ironically black people and brown people and all people who are non-white, all people who are discriminated against are getting shat upon once again as the subject has been diverted, often via the expression of hatred, I might add.

    So no, it wasn't (isn't) about Forrest or Southern culture or who won the war. It's not about "gotcha" and you have no idea how ****ing tired I am of "gotcha" on DP. It is about ending racism and discrimination in America. But that topic can't really be discussed on DP for more that 10 posts before devolves.
    That's a long ways off. That NBF's son was a grand Wizard of the KKK is not in dispute.

    It's literally *alllll* over the place in his biography and records.



    8 of the July 9, 1922 Macon Telegraph:

    That NBF, the General, was involved in the KKK is highly likely -- but it's not an engagement I care to travail in...

    I appreciate your thoughtful response, sincerely, but you will most certainly see me lift my head and respond when I see historical inaccuracies tossed out here like gumballs.

    It's kinda my thing. :p

  6. #956
    Dungeon Master
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,987

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    That's a long ways off. That NBF's son was a grand Wizard of the KKK is not in dispute.

    It's literally *alllll* over the place in his biography and records.



    8 of the July 9, 1922 Macon Telegraph:

    That NBF, the General, was involved in the KKK is highly likely -- but it's not an engagement I care to travail in...

    I appreciate your thoughtful response, sincerely, but you will most certainly see me lift my head and respond when I see historical inaccuracies tossed out here like gumballs.

    It's kinda my thing. :p
    Let's get this straight:

    1. No one was or is talking about Forrest's descendants except you.

    2. Nathan Bedford Forrest II was General Nathan Bedford Forrest's grandson - not his son, as you and your "source" erroneously claim.

    3. I'm not playing "gotcha" with you. Find someone else. I won't participate in the further diversion of the thread away from the subject of racism.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  7. #957
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,772

    Re: Confederate Flag





    Majority see Confederate flag as symbol of pride, not hate


    A majority of Americans view the Confederate flag more as a symbol of Southern pride than racism, according to a new poll.

    Fifty-seven percent of Americans said they see the flag as evoking Southern pride in the CNN/ORC poll released Thursday, compared to 33 percent who believe it is racist. Those numbers show little movement since a similar poll from 2000.

    Black and white Americans have very different views on whether the flag is a symbol of pride or a symbol of hate.

    Two-thirds of whites believe the flag represents Southern pride, while only 28 percent believe it has any ties to racism.

    That perspective is the opposite among blacks — 72 percent believe the flag is a symbol of racism.

    The majority of Americans, both black and white, believe that the flag should be removed from all government property except for museums.



    Majority see Confederate flag as symbol of pride, not hate
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  8. #958
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,113

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Let's get this straight:

    1. No one was or is talking about Forrest's descendants except you.

    2. Nathan Bedford Forrest II was General Nathan Bedford Forrest's grandson - not his son, as you and your "source" erroneously claim.

    3. I'm not playing "gotcha" with you. Find someone else. I won't participate in the further diversion of the thread away from the subject of racism.
    Hey, bub, it was *you* who brought him up - and insisted I reply to your KKK Forrestry.

    You want to disown him and his KKK ties, and his progeny's ties - fine.

    Forrest Statue and Graves in downtown park
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Forrest’s role as leader of the Ku Klux Klan was celebrated in the April 30, 1905 edition of the Memphis News-Scimitar in an editorial entitled “Forrest Again in White Shroud.” The editorial was accompanied by an artist’s image of the monument wrapped in a white shroud in preparation for its unveiling. Behind the shrouded monument, nine ghostly riders appear on horseback, wearing the white robes of the Ku Klux Klan. The editorial proclaims,
    “Forrest has come to his own again. Stalwart, strong and invincible…turning his eagle eye toward the south, just as he was wont to do forty years ago when the chaotic conditions of life required the organizing of the Ku-Klux Klan.”
    Forrest is envisioned “clad in his old Ku-Klux garb, a pall of white that covered horse and rider, the great leader of this secret clan rides once more,” and praised as “that leader whose iron hand held the reins of safety over the South when Northern dominion apotheosized the negro and set misrule and devastation to humiliate a proud race.”

    By 1905, blacks were segregated on the city’s streetcars and were not allowed to visit the city’s parks."

    The Civil War of the United States: Nathan Bedford Forrest, born July 13, 1821

  9. #959
    Guru
    digitusmedius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,893

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    It makes some people feel as if they are doing something without actually doing anything.
    If you don't think there's a very definite intention to do something about the flying of this or any flag like it on public grounds in this country, you aren't paying attention. The courageous act of civil disobedience in SC by Ms. Bree Newsome will likely be just the beginning. This flag has no business flying from any public building or on any public property at any level of government in this country and I guarantee it will stop being so flown. Maybe not this year everywhere but as soon as those states and localities who are flying it start paying a political and economic price for doing so it will stop.

  10. #960
    Guru
    digitusmedius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,893

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    But you don't state that I am not a moron meaning you believe it to be true...
    I don't believe it at all. You are no moron. Does that clear it up for you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •