View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 61 of 270 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #601
    Repentless
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,598

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Really, why not?
    The framers were against factions taking over swaths of the country, unlike the CSA who relied on talking over the USA.

  2. #602
    Repentless
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,598

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Rentoc View Post
    I'm no historian, but I don't think they were attempting to "overthrow" the USA. I believe they were attempting to form their own country. One that would not have a central government with too much authority over the member States. I'm sure that one of the primary reasons for even trying this was in fact their belief that slavery was necessary for their continued financial existence. We all agree that slavery was a horrible thing and looking back (with our 20/20 hindsight) we all understand how wrong it was.
    You are correct; you are no historian. Are you aware that the South planed on taking Washington DC? What do you think the purpose of such a plan would be?

  3. #603
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,196
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The same critical eye...on slavery.....and on war? Oh but I have, I understand they are very different things and not to be absurdly equated.
    That's the problem see - your view doesn't define your ideology, your ideology defines your view. You cannot honestly and intelligently use the same critical comparison because of that. That is why you fail.

    Anything else I have to say would simply be repetitive and attempting to address a dishonest discussion on your part.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #604
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,595

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The framers were against factions taking over swaths of the country, unlike the CSA who relied on talking over the USA.
    The framers never banned secession. As the CSA simply wanted to leave, they were not "taking over" anything.

  5. #605
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,196
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Where can I buy one?
    Be more specific - and let me remind you on the internet you can pretty much buy anything.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #606
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    If you're not already well aware of what I'm talking about then you're part of the problem.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    Oh yeah... of course....

    You must be referring to Human Trafficking...

  7. #607
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:25 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    67,059

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yeah, because people whining means we have change how we do things. I find that many times when someone is acting like they are victimized the problem has more to do with self confidence than anything else.
    What do conservative Christians have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  8. #608
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    12-22-15 @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,410

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Should the Confederate Flag be removed/abolished?

    I say no. The argument is that it represents racism and slavery. That is stupid. So does the American Flag.
    Removed from where?

    Removed form your yard....No

    Removed from Public land...yes


  9. #609
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,829

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That's the problem see - your view doesn't define your ideology, your ideology defines your view. You cannot honestly and intelligently use the same critical comparison because of that. That is why you fail.

    Anything else I have to say would simply be repetitive and attempting to address a dishonest discussion on your part.
    Of course my views define my own personal ideology, the idea that I consult an ideology handbook before I form an opinion, a view, on a subject is as absurd as equating the act of war and the act of slavery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #610
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-01-16 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Confederate Flag

    I thought this was interesting.-

    Slavery, or rather the Union's distaste for it, was after all a significant reason why the southern states wished to secede in the first place. But how exactly did the flag re-emerge as a potent political symbol?

    It began, perhaps counter-intuitively, with the rise of the Civil Rights movement in the 20th century. As African-Americans began to articulate their political desires and push for an end to discrimination, those who opposed them sought a potent symbol to mobilise against them........

    This, then, is the legacy of the battle flag of the southern states; a sharp reminder of the racism that has been an indelible part of America's socio-political conscience since its formation, and the reason why it has been under fire in the wake of Charleston and other racial attacks.


    Heritage or hate: The history of the US Confederate Flag
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •