View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 52 of 270 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #511
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    That's awkward. I meant to say agree not disagree. Sorry it happens when posting to more than one person.

    Of course instead of asking me what I meant you just assumed the worst and treat me like an asshole. No problem.

    Typical.
    Sorry. I am a little jumpy on the issue because the world seems to have lost their god damned minds.....

  2. #512
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,091

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Sorry. I am a little jumpy on the issue because the world seems to have lost their god damned minds.....
    OK, No problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    i love my nation very much. gotta protect her from terrorists and atheists
    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    imo imprisonment for the flag burning offense is necessary. also, mandatory sentences for those that watch and do nothing to stop it.

  3. #513
    Professor
    Occam's Razor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I think you've misunderstood my position on bringing that up....
    I at no point was claiming that I accept slavery as a "good thing" or that isn't wasn't bad......
    Just trying to look at reality from a viewpoint more realistic than "on the principle" of the matter.
    As for taking away rights arbitrarily.... How exactly am I doing that by trying to empathize with a position of the most extreme level of poverty imaginable?

    And.... I know you aren't trying to compare your not having money for food a few nights with having No assets except rag clothing..... no family with any assets.... no job.... and in a time and place that didn't happen to take care of poor people like we do today (with soup kitchens and shelters and such)..... plus being set loose in a land where you don't really know what all is out there.... have no way of getting around except your feet.... and nobody likes you because of the color of your skin.

    Try to actually put yourself in their sho...... their bare feet for a moment... Not just "in principle" but also imagine yourself in the same time period and place.

    For just a moment..... it might be easy to believe that freedom isn't all its cracked up to be. (Disclaimer: I am not saying that slavery is preferential to freedom) (I also find it pathetic I have to add stupid ****ing disclaimers to my posts).
    We'll have to agree to disagree save one point. No one liking me because of the color of my skin. That is something I've only experienced briefly while doing mission work in Harlem and the Lower East side in the late 80s. That was the only time I've felt like the minority. Yet extremely appreciative of the experience.
    Spin Proof

  4. #514
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    67,057

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    A display of history is worthy of treason.... Wow.

    No.. the government shouldn't be displaying it on their official flag pole.... if they wanted to take it down and display it in a case inside the state house with a little plague about the state's involvement in the civil war, that is perfectly reasonable.

    As far as a "necessary step towards improving race relations" you are absolutely fooling yourself if you think the race mongers out there give two ****ing ****s about this. They will view it as a victory and continue to push harder towards the next thing that the rest of society will have to tip toe around in order to prevent from "OFFENDDDDDDIIIINGGG" someone. Only absolute morons think something like this is going to change race relations in the U.S.

    There will still be ignorant racists sons o' bitches and ignorant race baiting morons out there.... one way or another. It won't change a single opinion.
    Sure, there will still be racists and race baiters. There always will be. That doesn't change the fact that the Confederate flag is a symbol of oppression. As long as state governments endorse that oppression it is an obstacle to improving race relations. You can't blame that on Al Sharpton and those like him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  5. #515
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    26,878

    Re: Confederate Flag

    the Confederate Battle Flag in its design 13 stars for the original states in the form of an "X" for the 10th AMENDMENT.

    slavery was the driving cause of the main issue of the war, it was the power of the federal government vs states governments which was the main issue.
    Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government

    THE
    second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.


  6. #516
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,191
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Sure, there will still be racists and race baiters. There always will be. That doesn't change the fact that the Confederate flag is a symbol of oppression.
    That applies to the American flag as well. Should we be banning the American flag too?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #517
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    The point is not whether they "can" display it - the point is that you're denigrating something they hold near and dear. They are not the confused ones. The confused ones are those who think it is - or should be seen as - racist.
    I have no idea how one can view the Confederacy as anything but a racist slave system, there is no historical escape from this basic, fundamental fact.




    Your argument is becoming disjointed as you jump back and forth to prove some evasive point. There are undeniable similarties between the flag-banners and both traditional fascism and McCarthy's tactics. All three seek to quell opinions that differ from their own and to legislate thought. McCarthy wasn't just a "Wisconsin Senator." He launched a witch hunt against those he claimed supported communism. Just like now, people were pointing fingers at their neighbors - and McCarthy used it to his advantage. He extolled the evils of communism, although there was very little communism going around. Just as today, there is very little racism associated with the Confederate Flag, as you've been shown.
    I have no idea how pointing out the fundamental point that the Confederacy was at base a racist slave system "quells opinion". It was used a symbol of terrorism by the KKK and extremists opposed to civil rights to intimidate, to remind Blacks of their subjugation. There is no reason for US states to be endorsing, displaying this symbol of institution slavery. There is no possibility of the flag escaping from the fact that it represents a racist slave system, ever, since the Confederacy never compromised on this fundamental point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #518
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That applies to the American flag as well. Should we be banning the American flag too?
    No, since the govt that is represented has changed. Even the flag has changed. The Confederate govt never did change its fundamental position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #519
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,595

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the Confederate Battle Flag in its design 13 stars for the original states in the form of an "X" for the 10th AMENDMENT.
    No, the battle flag (used semi officially by the main CSA field Army and some what regularly by other field armies) was designed after the Saint Andrew's cross motiff. This motiff is common and is also used in the Scottish and Imperial Russian flags. As for the stars, they represent the states that seceeded, plus Kentucky.

    Kentucky was originally nueteral, but according to the CSA intended to seceed had unionists not comandeered the state legislature. Of course, the union version is that Kentucky intended to be a union state and it was the confedrates who had attempted to comandeer the state legislature.

  10. #520
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    67,057

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That applies to the American flag as well. Should we be banning the American flag too?
    The American Flag has been altered since it's days of overt oppression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •