View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 48 of 270 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #471
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,995

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    How many black people did you see on that show?
    Irrelevant. How many black people WATCHEDthe show?
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  2. #472
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,995

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Considering their economy was agriculture based, and thus much more dependent upon slave labor than the more industrial North......

    Even southerners knew it was wrong to hold slaves at this point, but they had little choice else.
    Agreed....
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  3. #473
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    at least i finally got you to admit they are capitalists... that's progress in my book
    anytime i can get a quasi-socialist far left hater to admit to reality, it's a good day.

    oh, btw, i said nothign of unregulated capitalism.. that's your strawman and yours alone... you own it, you keep it.
    I've never said that capitalism wasn't an integral part of our governmental systems - it certainly is. BUT the key is that it's REGULATED.

    And when it comes to the 'hater' remark, seems to me that might be a classic example of projection. I don't hate you, and I don't hate conservatives (most of my friends are quite conservative)...but it may well be that if you do hate liberals and what we stand for, you assume that I must do the same for conservatives and conservatism.

    But to really understand what I just pointed out requires a measure of empathy...and as far as I've seen, 'empathy' with those they oppose is not a trait that a lot of conservatives value.

    I've traveled the world, thanks... I even have a home and property in Colombia.

    and again.. keep your strawman to yourself.. i'm not interested.
    Then you have seen deregulated capitalism at work. You have seen what it's like when there is so little effective regulation at every level. And you have seen how the rich there are effectively untouchable, how the largest, richest businesses can't be effectively regulated...and because of this, it's too easy for them to crush their competition. Now, did you ever make the connection between the lack of effective regulation and the economic conditions of that country?
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #474
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    There was literally NOTHING obnoxious in that post.



    Dismissive.



    I don't care what Morocco has to say about our history and I will stick with the State Department as a source:

    Frequently Asked Questions
    What country was the first to recognize the United States?

    France recognized the United States as an independent state on February 6, 1778.


    https://history.state.gov/about/faq/...o-recognize-US
    The link that says 'France', doesn't say it's the first....it just says it's one of the oldest....

    "France is one of the oldest U.S. allies, dating to 1778 when the French monarchy recognized the independence of the United States.'

    https://history.state.gov/countries/france


    One of the oldest does not make it the oldest. So emailed them to ask for a correction. It will be interesting to see if they do anything. lol


    Actually, we did.

    On June 14, 1777, the Second Continental Congress passed the Flag Resolution which stated: "Resolved, That the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation."

    A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774 - 1875
    Good, now I know.

  5. #475
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,995

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The link that says 'France', doesn't say it's the first....it just says it's one of the oldest....

    "France is one of the oldest U.S. allies, dating to 1778 when the French monarchy recognized the independence of the United States.'

    https://history.state.gov/countries/france


    One of the oldest does not make it the oldest. So emailed them to ask for a correction. It will be interesting to see if they do anything. lol




    Good, now I know.
    You can't be serious? One of the oldest is THE OLDEST if it is... wait for it, THE OLDEST.

    My first link has a FAQ: What country was the first to recognize the United States?


    Answer: France

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  6. #476
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You can't be serious? One of the oldest is THE OLDEST if it is... wait for it, THE OLDEST.

    My first link has a FAQ: What country was the first to recognize the United States?


    Answer: France


    Then you should have no problem finding one more source to support that one.

    Here, let me help get you started....


    What was the first country to recognize the United States?

    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+united+states
    Last edited by Moot; 06-25-15 at 03:58 PM.

  7. #477
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    Tell that to Greece.
    Oooooh, Greece! Scaaaaary, huh?

    Do you not see the error in your logic? You're implying that if ONE sorta-kinda-first-world nation went economically tango-uniform, then the same thing WILL happen to ALL of them.

    But it's not happening to the true first-world nations like America, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand, Canada, England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg...the list goes on.

    Whereas ALL nations that have small government, low effective taxes, and weak regulation ARE third-world nations.

    ALL but one of the first-world nations are not in danger of economic collapse...but ALL of the nations that have the conservative trifecta of small government, low effective taxes, and weak regulation ARE in the economic crapper. Really, what more does it take for you to see which system IS working, and which system is NOT working?

    The proof's all there for you to see, if you're ever able to pull your head out of the right-wing echo chamber.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #478
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,923

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Because you keep accusing the left of dishonesty, I just wanted to see how honest you were by posting the truth about slavery just to see if you agreed or disagreed. But you seem to have ignored the link I posted which suggests that you're not very honest yourself.
    Proof a good number in the Democratic party thwarted Blacks from receiving full civil rights for over a century is engraved in the history of this country.

    When Congress formed the Northwest Ordinance, was voted on by the representation of the thirteen original states, the majority voted to abolish slavery in the territory for the states that would be created from it and later join the union of the thirteen. Ohio was the first state carved out followed by Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. At that point in time several states of the original thirteen had already abolished slavery and that was obvious in the votes their representatives cast. I believe that was in 1787 and the writing was on the wall for the Southern states that the union would be growing with no support for slavery. And with numbers against them growing, they felt the pressure. That is why the first half of the 1800's was filled with race issues and the division lines were forming long before the Civil War began.

    You see I did read your link. And sure enough it eluded to the Northwest Ordinance when things got heated up. It also eluded to those from the North traveling to the South to try and convince the people that slavery needed to be abolished. Those who practiced slavery, didn't much appreciate that one either as shown in the link you posted.

    So what exactly did I lie about?

    That over 2000 Blacks were elected to office including the South during and after Reconstruction? Sorry, that's a well documented fact.
    That racial relations improved during and after reconstruction until Woodrow Wilson, Democrat Segregationist was elected president? That he segregated the Federal government for crying outloud! That's historic fact as well.
    The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow . Jim Crow Stories . Segregation in the U. S. Government | PBS
    That the Democrat politicians that owned the South during the civil rights movement in the 60's did everything in their power to stop the civil rights bill? Even the Democrat Lyndon Johnson admitted that one.

    It is fact that the big segregationists at that time like Al Gore's father who represented Tennessee and Bill Clinton's Arkansas mentor J. William Fulbright who signed the Southern Manifesto a big segregationist, or Senator Sheets Byrd of West Virginia who was some grand poobah of the KKK. All three Democrat Senators who were part of hindering the passage of the civil rights bill. All three have perfect voting records against it.

    Maybe it is overdue the Democratic party, apologize for condoning these racists that they tolerated for a century in the name of power in government that drug out so long people of color given all the rights they deserve in this country. Maybe it would be a good time for them to try and stop painting every white person living in the South as a white supremacist and every black conservative an Uncle Tom. Reason? Race baiting is all they have. Their record on race sucks. And because Republicans have a stronghold in the Southern states at this time that Lyndon Johnson foretold when signing the Civil Rights bill what else do they have to throw at it? . There is also a growing number of blacks leaving the Democratic party. Once the barriers were removed keeping black people down in the South, more and more started to experience the American dream. All those Southern states didn't end up with Republican governors without the votes of a good number of blacks.

  9. #479
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Not true, in a lot of third world countries the bureaucracy and red tape is even worse than in the US and its so bad that most of the time you need to pay an insider just to get things done.
    "Bureaucracy and red tape" do not equal strong regulation - please don't get the two mixed up. Strong regulation is the ability of regulatory agencies to enforce the rules without regard to size or influence of those being regulated. In countries where there is weak regulation, it is as you say - bureaucracy and red tape can be horrendous...unless you pay to bypass all that (which I have done).
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #480
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Proof a good number in the Democratic party thwarted Blacks from receiving full civil rights for over a century is engraved in the history of this country.

    When Congress formed the Northwest Ordinance, was voted on by the representation of the thirteen original states, the majority voted to abolish slavery in the territory for the states that would be created from it and later join the union of the thirteen. Ohio was the first state carved out followed by Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. At that point in time several states of the original thirteen had already abolished slavery and that was obvious in the votes their representatives cast. I believe that was in 1787 and the writing was on the wall for the Southern states that the union would be growing with no support for slavery. And with numbers against them growing, they felt the pressure. That is why the first half of the 1800's was filled with race issues and the division lines were forming long before the Civil War began.

    You see I did read your link. And sure enough it eluded to the Northwest Ordinance when things got heated up. It also eluded to those from the North traveling to the South to try and convince the people that slavery needed to be abolished. Those who practiced slavery, didn't much appreciate that one either as shown in the link you posted.

    So what exactly did I lie about?

    That over 2000 Blacks were elected to office including the South during and after Reconstruction? Sorry, that's a well documented fact.
    That racial relations improved during and after reconstruction until Woodrow Wilson, Democrat Segregationist was elected president? That he segregated the Federal government for crying outloud! That's historic fact as well.
    The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow . Jim Crow Stories . Segregation in the U. S. Government | PBS
    That the Democrat politicians that owned the South during the civil rights movement in the 60's did everything in their power to stop the civil rights bill? Even the Democrat Lyndon Johnson admitted that one.

    It is fact that the big segregationists at that time like Al Gore's father who represented Tennessee and Bill Clinton's Arkansas mentor J. William Fulbright who signed the Southern Manifesto a big segregationist, or Senator Sheets Byrd of West Virginia who was some grand poobah of the KKK. All three Democrat Senators who were part of hindering the passage of the civil rights bill. All three have perfect voting records against it.

    Maybe it is overdue the Democratic party, apologize for condoning these racists that they tolerated for a century in the name of power in government that drug out so long people of color given all the rights they deserve in this country. Maybe it would be a good time for them to try and stop painting every white person living in the South as a white supremacist and every black conservative an Uncle Tom. Reason? Race baiting is all they have. Their record on race sucks. And because Republicans have a stronghold in the Southern states at this time that Lyndon Johnson foretold when signing the Civil Rights bill what else do they have to throw at it? . There is also a growing number of blacks leaving the Democratic party. Once the barriers were removed keeping black people down in the South, more and more started to experience the American dream. All those Southern states didn't end up with Republican governors without the votes of a good number of blacks.
    Sorry, but none of what you're posting has anything to do with what I said or the link I posted. Do you want to try again?

    Hint: it's the reason the southern states seceded from the union.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •