View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 39 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #381
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,122

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    From your link:



    You do know what "circumstantial" means, don't you?

    It means there's really no proof.
    ....
    Dood. Cut the crap. How old are you?

    It's like you're pretending the wild-ass **** that was going down all over the South to keep Apartheid in place and deny equal rights to blacks wasn't happening at that time --

    Or the dogs weren't sicked on Civil Rights marchers

    Or the Freedom Riders we're getting their heads bashed in

    Or that Emmitt Till was just an anomoly

    Or that Selma didn't happen

    Or that Segregation now! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever! wasn't the rallying cry for millions of Southerns

    Or that institutionalized White Supremacy didn't rule the day, and the South was bound and determined to keep it that way.

    Only someone who ignores alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllll that (plus much more) could say the placement then was just a benign toss to the Confederate slave-holding Centennial.

    Here's something else: The centennial ended in 1961. It's still flying.

  2. #382
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    So you are speaking for the entire south, but telling me not to speak for others, simply because you have a handful of inlaws who live here?

    That's rich.
    A handful! LOL If you only knew.

    I'm only speaking what I hear - as you are. But, your conclusions are a lot different from the conclusions of other liberals/progressives here who feel most of the South is just a racist cesspool. Here you are defending them, and I thank you for that.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  3. #383
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    Dood. Cut the crap. How old are you?

    It's like you're pretending the wild-ass **** that was going down all over the South to keep Apartheid in place and deny equal rights to blacks wasn't happening at that time --

    Or the dogs weren't sicked on Civil Rights marchers

    Or the Freedom Riders we're getting their heads bashed in

    Or that Emmitt Till was just an anomoly

    Or that Selma didn't happen

    Or that Segregation now! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever! wasn't the rallying cry for millions of Southerns

    Or that institutionalized White Supremacy didn't rule the day, and the South was bound and determined to keep it that way.

    Only someone who ignores alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllll that (plus much more) could say the placement then was just a benign toss to the Confederate slave-holding Centennial.

    Here's something else: The centennial ended in 1961. It's still flying.
    Everything you cited here has to do with the Civil Rights era. You're ready to take away a cultural symbol because some people used it in a racist manner during that era? I continuously point out to you that it means much more - to many more people. That doesn't seem to matter to you. You call those people confused, although I think you're the confused one because that flag had a meaning - an honorable meaning long before a few decided to use it negatively.

    It seems as though you're happy to punish a lot of good people just to stick it to a relatively few bad apples.

    Oh - and - I'm very likely old enough to be your parent.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  4. #384
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,122

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    Everything you cited here has to do with the Civil Rights era. You're ready to take away a cultural symbol because some people used it in a racist manner during that era? ...

    Oh - and - I'm very likely old enough to be your parent.
    lol. Unless you're an octogenarian, I doubt it.

    There was nothing honorable about traitorous slavers who took up arms against the country. Honor the dead in graveyards and memorials and wave it on your property all you like.

    The state has no business giving legitimacy to a flag with so many dark, racist, human-trafficking odors coming off of it.

  5. #385
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,088

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    If you think that states' rights is some sort of code, you don't.
    Me and just about everybody else. It's a code for racism, Jim Crow, and just about every other atrocity heaped on African-Americans since the end of the Civil War.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  6. #386
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,115

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    You should stop talking for the South because you are wrong. I am from the South, born and raised, and I live here now. I can promise you that many, white and black, do not feel this way.



    Now go ask 39 million people, who live, and work, raise families, and die in the South, how they feel about having to do so under that flag. Ask them what the flag means to them.

    Go ask them. I'll wait.
    While you are bull****tin...then go ask the people in Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Gary and every major city in the country how much better THEIR lives are without that flag.

    This smokescreen 'cause' is ****ing pathetic. You ought to be embarrassed.

  7. #387
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    09-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,009

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    While you are bull****tin...then go ask the people in Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Gary and every major city in the country how much better THEIR lives are without that flag.

    This smokescreen 'cause' is ****ing pathetic. You ought to be embarrassed.
    No one doubts that racism is nationwide, as a matter of fact it's been a big topic lately. However, nothing that occurred in the non-Southern states compares to the inhumanity the South continued to delight in... until when? Until once again the government had to step in. If it wasn't about the right to treat blacks inhumanely, then why is that the thing that lasted the longest after the war ended? Why did the feds have to step in again to try to assure some sense of equality and justice?

    The history of post-Civil War South doesn't reflect these claims. Yes, the North and liberals treated blacks as sub-human and somewhat still do, the South treated them as inhuman, and seems to still wish it could continue.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  8. #388
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,115

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    No one doubts that racism is nationwide, as a matter of fact it's been a big topic lately. However, nothing that occurred in the non-Southern states compares to the inhumanity the South continued to delight in... until when? Until once again the government had to step in. If it wasn't about the right to treat blacks inhumanely, then why is that the thing that lasted the longest after the war ended? Why did the feds have to step in again to try to assure some sense of equality and justice?

    The history of post-Civil War South doesn't reflect these claims. Yes, the North and liberals treated blacks as sub-human and somewhat still do, the South treated them as inhuman, and seems to still wish it could continue.
    Again...that all blather. You might want to read of the history of slavery in New York and other Northern states. New York clung to slavery as doggedly as the Southern states did while it was economically viable. And if you want to talk sheer brutality toward 'slaves' check on the native Indian tribes.

    This whole thing is promotion of a 'cause'. It's an excuse to create outrage and profit from it. You should be embarrassed.

  9. #389
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    09-04-16 @ 07:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,206

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    It does seem a bit on the lax side, but have you known government to ever be very effective?

    I'm not sure the GOP "lost" the African American vote - anymore than I think the Democrat Party "earned" it.
    Exactly. That's why Democrats get so excited about voter ID laws, it keeps voters from voting more than once for the same candidate.

  10. #390
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    09-04-16 @ 07:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,206

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Any history textbook or educational website about the civil war would do.
    Would that be a site telling the truth or merely one that tells the story like its author thinks it should be told?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •