View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 37 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #361
    son of perdition
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Confederate Flag

    It's just a flag. Good, bad, or otherwise, historical use is not to be blamed on a piece of cloth. We never banned the Nazi flag. Once you ban something, you give more power to it than it formally had.

    I voted No.
    !__________!!Voted Trump!!__________!!____!!Made America Great Again !!____

  2. #362
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    11-23-16 @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Because of what it represented overtime and what it's associated with yes.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #363
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,158
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Germans are racist. French people are racist. British people are racist.
    What world do you live in that you want to pretend at least SOME portion of the people in a country arent racist?


    There are racists all over this planet. No country is totally free of racism.

    But that doesn't mean that we should stop fighting racism.

  4. #364
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    As I already pointed out, those want to display it PERSONALLY can do so, no matter how confused their use of it is.
    The point is not whether they "can" display it - the point is that you're denigrating something they hold near and dear. They are not the confused ones. The confused ones are those who think it is - or should be seen as - racist.


    McCarthy was a conservative, and I see your argument trying to equate fascism with liberalism in this and other posts, it again displays this hodgepodge of confused polisci understanding. But as I said, the idea that internal communism is as pervasive in US society as racism is....is absurd on so many levels. Further, the denial of how important, key to the South, was slavery, again shows just how far from reality your argument is, along with grasping at straws your references to a Wisconsin Senator are.
    Your argument is becoming disjointed as you jump back and forth to prove some evasive point. There are undeniable similarties between the flag-banners and both traditional fascism and McCarthy's tactics. All three seek to quell opinions that differ from their own and to legislate thought. McCarthy wasn't just a "Wisconsin Senator." He launched a witch hunt against those he claimed supported communism. Just like now, people were pointing fingers at their neighbors - and McCarthy used it to his advantage. He extolled the evils of communism, although there was very little communism going around. Just as today, there is very little racism associated with the Confederate Flag, as you've been shown.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  5. #365
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,291

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    There are racists all over this planet. No country is totally free of racism.

    But that doesn't mean that we should stop fighting racism.
    Of course not. Who would suggest otherwise? But to demonize entire nations because of the actions of some is inane and corrupt.

  6. #366
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    Because it strips the Southern people of the symbol they use to honor their fallen. It takes something they see as beautiful and tries to make it ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    That sounds good in theory, but that's not what the flag represents to the people of the South. This is what it represents - the fallen - and this is what you're denigrating:
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but that opinion isn't shared by the majority of the South.
    You should stop talking for the South because you are wrong. I am from the South, born and raised, and I live here now. I can promise you that many, white and black, do not feel this way.

    In 2010, 55 percent of the black population lived in the South, and 105 Southern counties had a black population of 50 percent or higher. Of the total U.S. population of 308.7 million on April 1, 2010, 38.9 million people, or 13 percent, identified as black alone.
    Now go ask 39 million people, who live, and work, raise families, and die in the South, how they feel about having to do so under that flag. Ask them what the flag means to them.

    Go ask them. I'll wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  7. #367
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    Aaaaand...



    The Confederate battle flag in South Carolina was first flown at the statehouse in 1961. "It was flown as a symbol of massive resistance to racial desegregation."

    Eugene Robinson on Sunday, June 21st, 2015 in comments on NBC's "Meet the Press"






    http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...rolina-state-/
    From your link:

    Robinson stated that when the Confederate flag was first flown over South Carolina’s statehouse in 1961, and it was hoisted as a symbol of "massive resistance to racial desegregation."

    Robinson is right on the date. The flag first flew over the statehouse to mark the opening ceremonies of a Civil War Centennial celebration.

    Whether it was raised as a deliberate symbol of a "resistance to racial desegregation" is not completely clear. Experts and research find a circumstantial link between the spread of the flag and the racial divisions of the 1950s and 1960s.
    You do know what "circumstantial" means, don't you?

    It means there's really no proof. It might be - it might not be. What we DO know, however, is that the flag has held a place of honor for decades prior to that - and even if you're right - that wouldn't erase the cultural importance to the millions who honor it for the right reason.

    I don't care if they do or do not take it down.

    The damage is already done. The media and Leftists have created a feeding frenzy and, in doing so, have dishonored all the citizens of the South who held the flag in high regard - not for racist purposes.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  8. #368
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    From your link:



    You do know what "circumstantial" means, don't you?

    It means there's really no proof. It might be - it might not be. What we DO know, however, is that the flag has held a place of honor for decades prior to that - and even if you're right - that wouldn't erase the cultural importance to the millions who honor it for the right reason.

    I don't care if they do or do not take it down.

    The damage is already done. The media and Leftists have created a feeding frenzy and, in doing so, have dishonored all the citizens of the South who held the flag in high regard - not for racist purposes.
    "Circumstantial", hm?

    Those of us who grew up in the Deep South know better. That's every bit as circumstantial as Mississippi's congress voting to FINALLY ratify the 13th Amendment (Banning slavery) in 1995 - yes, 1995 - but somehow forgetting to send in the paperwork to D.C. for finalization of that ratification until 20-freaking-13...TWO YEARS AGO. The 'excuse' was, "well, ha-rumph, it was all simply an administrative error, you know"...but again, those of us who grew up in the Deep South know better.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #369
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    You should stop talking for the South because you are wrong. I am from the South, born and raised, and I live here now. I can promise you that many, white and black, do not feel this way.



    Now go ask 39 million people, who live, and work, raise families, and die in the South, how they feel about having to do so under that flag. Ask them what the flag means to them.

    Go ask them. I'll wait.
    My inlaws - a HUGE extended family - live in the deep South. They are very hurt by these accusations of racism. It's very personal to them. My sister in law runs a volunteer organization called "Helping Hands" that collects and distributes items to the very poor. Most of the recipients are black and my sister in law feels honored to be of service. She's also a member of the Daughters of the Confederacy and she's very proud of her fallen ancestors.

    You have your opinion, but that's all it is - YOUR opinion. Don't try to speak for others - because they might not agree with you.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  10. #370
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    "Circumstantial", hm?

    Those of us who grew up in the Deep South know better. That's every bit as circumstantial as Mississippi's congress voting to FINALLY ratify the 13th Amendment (Banning slavery) in 1995 - yes, 1995 - but somehow forgetting to send in the paperwork to D.C. for finalization of that ratification until 20-freaking-13...TWO YEARS AGO. The 'excuse' was, "well, ha-rumph, it was all simply an administrative error, you know"...but again, those of us who grew up in the Deep South know better.
    I've never heard that story before, but what's your point? Do you think they were going to try to start slavery back up? Do you really think that could have happened?
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •