View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 34 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #331
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Ah yes, the "If we ban A, then we must ban B-Z" argument. I encountered that just the other week when stating my opposition to the death penalty, and another poster said, "If you ban the death penalty, then you must ban punishment altogether."

    Slippery slope argument rejected.
    False analogy. We can certainly ban the death penalty without banning all forms of punishment. On the other hand, if we declare the Confederate Flag to be racist because it had its origins in defense of slavery, so must we declare all symbols from that era banned.

    You are correct in that it is a slippery slope - but it's more - it's an orchestrated attempt to punish the South once again. It's the start of cultural identity genocide.

    Just like when the United States took the little Native American children and schooled them in era clothing and insisted that they attend schools that taught what other American schools taught. "Cultural assimilation" we called that.

    Fascinating to see how it's rearing its ugly head again. I suppose it will be another 100 years before society admits it made another mistake.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  2. #332
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Really? How so?
    Because it strips the Southern people of the symbol they use to honor their fallen. It takes something they see as beautiful and tries to make it ugly.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  3. #333
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    Not exactly. It never went away and it was always associated with honoring the fallen. You want to wipe their memories from the face of the earth.
    No, what is wanted is not your drama filled rhetoric but the ending of state sponsored use of a symbol that represents the defense of a racist slave system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #334
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    You're 100 percent wrong and that's my last words for you.
    That reminds me of what my daughter used to tell her younger brother when he realized his lost the argument and ran off....Those who fight and run away - live to run another day.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  5. #335
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    Because it strips the Southern people of the symbol they use to honor their fallen. It takes something they see as beautiful and tries to make it ugly.
    The sons and daughters of the South can still display their symbol of the defense of a racist system, it is just that the State should not use such symbols.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #336
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, what is wanted is not your drama filled rhetoric but the ending of state sponsored use of a symbol that represents the defense of a racist slave system.
    That sounds good in theory, but that's not what the flag represents to the people of the South. This is what it represents - the fallen - and this is what you're denigrating:

    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  7. #337
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    11-20-16 @ 11:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,242

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    Because it strips the Southern people of the symbol they use to honor their fallen. It takes something they see as beautiful and tries to make it ugly.
    I always thought what it represents is pretty ugly.

  8. #338
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The sons and daughters of the South can still display their symbol of the defense of a racist system, it is just that the State should not use such symbols.
    On the one hand, you say they can "display their symbol of the defense of a racist system," and then you turn around and pretend this agenda isn't identical to McCarthyism.

    Amazing.

    Simply amazing.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  9. #339
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I always thought what it represents is pretty ugly.
    You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but that opinion isn't shared by the majority of the South.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  10. #340
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    11-20-16 @ 11:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,242

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but that opinion isn't shared by the majority of the South.
    I disagree I think we are tired of what it represents here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •