View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 31 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #301
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    Then you should have a problem with the State sanctioned use of the American Swastika bestowing legitimacy to a flag that was flown in the name of perpetuating White Supremacy.

    Another revisionist historian.

    How quaint.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  2. #302
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HowardBThiname View Post
    Another revisionist historian.

    How quaint.
    Posted earlier in the thread: http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1064748031

    Some background on *why* the flag made it's resurgence.

  3. #303
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    You have no clue what the Confederate flag stands for, and it doesn't have anything to do with slavery. What it does have to do, though is the original concept of 13 free states having their own rights to do and make laws as they see fit as was the original design of the US Constitution, but it was northern aggression and oppression that made the southern states secede from the union. Take a look at that battle flag and you will see an X with 13 stars in it and an all red, white, and blue flag. My great great grand father died fighting for the Confederacy. He never had slaves his entire life, but he was fighting for his home and freedom from tyranny. He definitely wasn't fighting for slavery.
    The flag, or rather flags your great great grand father fought under weren't even the same flags. The current battle flag was adopted in the civil rights era... as an opposition to civil rights. So no, it doesn't stand for this heritage and that blah, it simply doesn't.
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  4. #304
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Should the Confederate Flag be removed/abolished?

    I say no. The argument is that it represents racism and slavery. That is stupid. So does the American Flag.
    I didn't know people flew the thing until I moved to Arkansas when I was 13. And upon arriving here - the only (ONLY) people to fly it or show it were white trash racists.

    So - the history of the flag is ONE thing, but the modern meaning of the flag to a large group of people is ANOTHER thing. And so we've had several generations of people who - clearly - have been raised with the instilled belief that it's a sign of racism. That overrules the past greatly.

    How many black people fly it with their 'southern heritage roots'? Exactly.

    I didn't actually realize that it was flying in S.C. per their legislative requirements - and to me that screams 'archaic - and insulting, pretending to be blind to its modern concept'.

    Further, I still take issue with its original meaning as well: representing opposition to the overall country, the desire to separate form the US.

    Either way - I don't like it, never have - and no matter what anyone says, all I've seen are a bunch of uneducated racist pratts fly it. It should have been removed and put away A LONG TIME AGO. Yet it took one guy shooting some people in a church to manage this?

    Long overdue, in my view. And I'm sort of tired of people defending it - and further tired of people assuming all white southerners like the ****ing thing.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-24-15 at 08:33 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #305
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Confederate Flag


  6. #306
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    40,118

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    It hasn't won too many wars after World War II, though. It's not fashionable to win wars anymore.
    Too expensive. Best is to cause just enough disruption so that real power cannot gel somewhere offshore. That or, like Vietnam, pretend to lose and then have them make our shirts 30 years later.

  7. #307
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,919

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    You have no clue what the Confederate flag stands for, and it doesn't have anything to do with slavery. What it does have to do, though is the original concept of 13 free states having their own rights to do and make laws as they see fit as was the original design of the US Constitution, but it was northern aggression and oppression that made the southern states secede from the union. Take a look at that battle flag and you will see an X with 13 stars in it and an all red, white, and blue flag. My great great grand father died fighting for the Confederacy. He never had slaves his entire life, but he was fighting for his home and freedom from tyranny. He definitely wasn't fighting for slavery.
    Rather than reply to this right now I feel like you should read up on the civil war and specifically causes of the civil war, why it started and how it started. Events leading up to the war ect. Once you have done that please let me know and then we can have this discussion.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #308
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    40,118

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I didn't know people flew the thing until I moved to Arkansas when I was 13. And upon arriving here - the only (ONLY) people to fly it or show it were white trash racists.

    So - the history of the flag is ONE thing, but the modern meaning of the flag to a large group of people is ANOTHER thing. And so we've had several generations of people who - clearly - have been raised with the instilled belief that it's a sign of racism. That overrules the past greatly.

    How many black people fly it with their 'southern heritage roots'? Exactly.

    I didn't actually realize that it was flying in S.C. per their legislative requirements - and to me that screams 'archaic - and insulting, pretending to be blind to its modern concept'.

    Further, I still take issue with its original meaning as well: representing opposition to the overall country, the desire to separate form the US.

    Either way - I don't like it, never have - and no matter what anyone says, all I've seen are a bunch of uneducated racist pratts fly it. It should have been removed and put away A LONG TIME AGO. Yet it took one guy shooting some people in a church to manage this?

    Long overdue, in my view. And I'm sort of tired of people defending it - and further tired of people assuming all white southerners like the ****ing thing.
    What's amazing is SC is no longer a backward state. Lots of industry has moved there. That the newbies don't take issue with the Hate Flag flying above their statehouse is troubling.

  9. #309
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,191
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    What's amazing is SC is no longer a backward state. Lots of industry has moved there. That the newbies don't take issue with the Hate Flag flying above their statehouse is troubling.
    is that all it takes for a "backward state" to become "unbackwards" .... Industrial companies simply have to move in and hire people?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    40,118

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    is that all it takes for a "backward state" to become "unbackwards" .... Industrial companies simply have to move in and hire people?
    You'd think that it would help. After all, with new companies come new people, most of them people from Northern cities and states.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •