View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 17 of 270 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #161
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    14,441

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Hmmm I see a logic flaw in this...

    You assume the south cannot do the same thing...as the United States

    The South is it's own changing and moving thing and many hold the battle flag as a symbol of it, because that was a time the south was unified in it's oppression against the north. And there is good reason why it's the battle flag and not the "Confederate flag", it was the flag of the common soldiers fighting against the northern armies. The war did not become so black and white,"We WANT SLAVES!!!!" and "WE DONTTTT!!!!"... There was much stigma between the north and the south for awhile.... like all Civil wars in all countries, it was one between two ethnic groups inside the country for supremacy... and the North won.
    The Battle Flag of the Confederacy represented the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. During that time, the Confederacy had seceded from the Union to preserve the institution of slavery. That is all the battle flag of the Confederacy represents. Everything that has happened in the New South since the fall of the confederacy happened under the United States flag.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #162
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,800

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It was flown by those defending the Confederacy, a political system whose economy was based on slave labor. It was adopted by Dixiecrats and the KKK as a symbol to bring together opponents of equality for Blacks.
    You mean Democrats, right? Funny how they represented racism as well... but oh it doesn't help your arguement does it?

    Like I said before The Confederacy composed of hundreds of thousands of different people with different reasons. Back then the States were essentially countries, Lee looked at Virginia as his Country... people were defending their countries. Just like I would stand for the freedom of speech of Hitler preaching on the street of New York, they defended the freedom of states rights and north suppression.

    Also, that post was addressing some elses argument, and you commented outside of the argument, while at the same time not addressing anything I said... this is not a game...it's a debate

  3. #163
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    37,930

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    You mean Democrats, right? Funny how they represented racism as well... but oh it doesn't help your arguement does it?

    Like I said before The Confederacy composed of hundreds of thousands of different people with different reasons. Back then the States were essentially countries, Lee looked at Virginia as his Country... people were defending their countries. Just like I would stand for the freedom of speech of Hitler preaching on the street of New York, they defended the freedom of states rights and north suppression.

    Also, that post was addressing some elses argument, and you commented outside of the argument, while at the same time not addressing anything I said... this is not a game...it's a debate
    "NORTH SUPPRESSION"!
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #164
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,800

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The Battle Flag of the Confederacy represented the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. During that time, the Confederacy had seceded from the Union to preserve the institution of slavery. That is all the battle flag of the Confederacy represents. Everything that has happened in the New South since the fall of the confederacy happened under the United States flag.
    Uh... no.

    State flags? flags are allowed to denote different things other than the nation as a whole...some of the southern heritage crowd uses the battle flag to denote that purpose... The evolving southern culture is under the US. Flag... but also their own states flag and the flag they choose to represent their specific sect I guess.... just like many sects of anything has their own symbols. All symbols and cultures can evolve and change... Your argument does not hold/

  5. #165
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The US has, after the shedding of much blood, to begin to live up to the promise of the Constitution, Confederate ideology was and always will be an ideology of slave labor. It was a reaction, finally, to the Republican Lincoln's election.

    Free speech, like other rights, is not absolute....but then this is not a free speech debate.
    Actually, the federal government did the opposite. Had they been living up to the promise of the Constitution the individual states would have been free to decide the issue for themselves or there would have been a constitutional amendment.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,907

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    You mean Democrats, right? Funny how they represented racism as well... but oh it doesn't help your arguement does it?
    Most everyone understands that the Southern Democrats were EXTREMELY conservative, hence why the Southern Strategy worked so well from the 1960's forward.

    Like I said before The Confederacy composed of hundreds of thousands of different people with different reasons. Back then the States were essentially countries, Lee looked at Virginia as his Country... people were defending their countries. Just like I would stand for the freedom of speech of Hitler preaching on the street of New York, they defended the freedom of states rights and north suppression.
    You can try to paint it anyway you like, the fact still is it represents a defending of a slave system, something Dixiecrats and the KKK understood.

    Also, that post was addressing some elses argument, and you commented outside of the argument, while at the same time not addressing anything I said... this is not a game...it's a debate
    ???????
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #167
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    14,441

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Uh... no.

    State flags? flags are allowed to denote different things other than the nation as a whole...some of the southern heritage crowd uses the battle flag to denote that purpose... The evolving southern culture is under the US. Flag... but also their own states flag and the flag they choose to represent their specific sect I guess.... just like many sects of anything has their own symbols. All symbols and cultures can evolve and change... Your argument does not hold/
    So would it be acceptable for German government buildings to fly the Nazi flag because some Germans believed it represented a time of great economic growth and development for Germany?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #168
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,907

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by kobie View Post
    "north suppression"!
    I know! DEFENDING HITLER!! CELTIC WAR!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Interesting that so many think the flag represents slavery. It doesn't. It never has. It's a battle flag. The reason there is a palmetto tree to represent SC is because they were used to build their fort and the soft wood did a good job of repelling cannon balls. But then what do you expect from a generation that will not bother to learn real history. Let's just revise it and shorten it up to a twitter post so we can get on with 45 step math problems. A couple of things to consider:

    1) The flag does not in any way represent slavery.

    2) The Civil War was NOT fought over slavery. It was a secondary issue Lincoln used to end the war.

    3)Early Americans did not capture Africans to use as slaves. They bought them. It was common practice (still is in some areas) for the victors of tribal wars in Africa to sell the defeated as slaves. It prevented them coming back. Most of the survivors, (except for the most desirable women) were sold. By other Africans. Black ones.

  10. #170
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,683

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Should the Confederate Flag be removed/abolished?

    I say no. The argument is that it represents racism and slavery. That is stupid. So does the American Flag.
    So you want us to get rid of the confederate flag and the stars and stripes? What the hell do you want us to use then?

    OK How about his one?

    Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]-uw6m8na-jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •