View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 120 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #1191
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,104

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I may be alone in this assessment...

    Removing the Confederate flag from statehouse is a good thing, and probably overdue. Especially considering that in SC it only went up in 1962 in response to Civil Rights.

    However, it seems the hysteria has gone a bit overboard. Restricting it everywhere is way too much.

    It's place in history should be honored, but to say that history is without racism is extremely dishonest. The whole Confederacy only started because a President was elected who had this notion that black people were people.
    Which president was that? Washington? Adams? Jefferson? Perhaps you mean Madison or even Monroe? ALL the early presidents were maneuvering to end slavery. As Madison put it...
    "The evil commenced when we were in our colonial state, but acts were passed by our colonial Legislature, prohibiting the importation of more slaves into the colony. These were rejected by the Crown. We declared our independence, and the prohibition of a further importation was among the first acts of State sovereignty. Virginia was the first State which instructed her delegates to declare the Colonies independent. She braved all dangers. From Quebec to Boston, and from Boston to Savannah, Virginia shed the blood of her sons. No imputation, then, can be cast upon her in this matter. She did all that was in her power to do, to prevent the extension of slavery, and to mitigate its evils."

    Perhaps you mean the speaker of these powerful words..." The free people of these United States have spoken, and consigned these demagogues to their proper doom. Take care of your nullifiers you have amongst you. Let them meet the indignant frowns of every man who loves his country. The tariff, it is now known, was a mere pretext, and disunion and a Southern Confederacy the real object. The next pretext will be the negro, or the slavery question." A good southern man by the name of then General and soon president Andrew Jackson.

  2. #1192
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And what did the institution of Slavery protect for Southerners?

    The profitability of their agricultural economy?

    Yep.


    Also that bit about the negro not being equal to the white man.... Abraham Lincoln said that **** too.....

    [IMG]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/782/935/ce2.png[IMG]
    Lincoln also said the negroes were human beings and that slavery was immoral. Did a southern leader ever say that?

  3. #1193
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,104

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Hardly. Southerners like to point out there was a few slaves in the north to justify the 3 million slaves they had in the south. Slavery was a lot different in the south just by its sheer volume.....

    By 1860 Slavery had been abolished in all of the northern states individually. In 1810 there were more slaves in Maryland than there were Georgia.

    And I dont know where your census got their numbers, but there were 88,987 slaves still held in Delaware and Maryland in 1860.
    https://eh.net/encyclopedia/slavery-...united-states/

    No number 'justifies' slavery. Where you and others continue to get that ridiculous notion...beyond me.

  4. #1194
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    No, what you did is ignored Southern history from the Civil War and immediate aftermath through my lifetime, the 50s and 60s. The reason we have a reputation for racism in the current era is because of what we stood for in the 20th century, and what the Rebel flag was raised to symbolize in 1961 - continuation of Jim Crow.

    And I love the South, it's my home, and I've lived here my entire life. And because I love this area and the vast majority of its people I can't wait for this relic of a shameful history to be buried forever except in the same venues that display "whites only" signs - museums and the like. Defending the Rebel flag is, IMO, defending what it stood for when the SC LEGISLATURE raised it on their capital, which is for second class treatment of black citizens. No matter what an individual white person thinks when he flies the Rebel flag, the rest of the world can't distinguish him from a closet KKKer, and I can't either.
    Well, I see that you are stuck on Jim Crow era thoughts, but we are in a thread about the Confederate Flag, and I am often responding to posts specifically discussing the Time period where the flag came into being, the Civil War....

    Because YOU wish to discuss Jim Crow, that is no reason to accuse others of somehow being an "apologist" for the Jim Crow era because they didn't mention it.

    The "rest of the world" huh????

    Poll: After Charleston, a nation divided on the Confederate flag

  5. #1195
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Lincoln also said the negroes were human beings and that slavery was immoral. Did a southern leader ever say that?
    I don't know... do you???

  6. #1196
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Hardly. Southerners like to point out there was a few slaves in the north to justify the 4 million slaves they had in the south. Slavery was a lot different in the south just by its sheer volume.....

    The fact that you can't see that southerners aren't pointing out slaves in the North to JUSTIFY slavery tells me all I need to know about how you view this subject.

    There is no JUSTIFICATION for Slavery. Southerners are simply pointing out the ignorance in this silly northern version of history that the civil war was about the evil evil racist slave holding south vs the good, noble, everyone is equal north.

    The suggestion that it "wasn't as bad" or "they weren't as racist" (with no evidence of such) is actually a pathetic attempt at justifying the "goodness" and "awesomeness" of the North in this fictional history story that people like to tell.

  7. #1197
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Not equal people mind you........ just people....

    And sometimes... people who should be shipped back to Africa.

    Just saying... people like to ignore the **** Lincoln said (whites should be superior, blacks should be transported back to Africa) and did (wrecked the constitution, shut down newspapers, acted without congress in matters too numerous to count, let his generals burn cities and soldiers rape/pillage) all because he was anti-slavery and "freed the slaves" (although lets be honest, he did no such thing).
    So you really had nothing to say, just felt like you had to lash out?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

  8. #1198
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I in no way compared anything to anything.

    Shouldnt you be researching some form of evidence demonstrating I am justifying slavery? Or is that yet another one of your failed arguments you are going to just let quietly slip away?
    Why did you say, "New York was the main hub for slavery"? Were you trying to suggest that the north had more slaves than the south or something?

  9. #1199
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Which president was that? Washington? Adams? Jefferson? Perhaps you mean Madison or even Monroe? ALL the early presidents were maneuvering to end slavery. As Madison put it...
    "The evil commenced when we were in our colonial state, but acts were passed by our colonial Legislature, prohibiting the importation of more slaves into the colony. These were rejected by the Crown. We declared our independence, and the prohibition of a further importation was among the first acts of State sovereignty. Virginia was the first State which instructed her delegates to declare the Colonies independent. She braved all dangers. From Quebec to Boston, and from Boston to Savannah, Virginia shed the blood of her sons. No imputation, then, can be cast upon her in this matter. She did all that was in her power to do, to prevent the extension of slavery, and to mitigate its evils."

    Perhaps you mean the speaker of these powerful words..." The free people of these United States have spoken, and consigned these demagogues to their proper doom. Take care of your nullifiers you have amongst you. Let them meet the indignant frowns of every man who loves his country. The tariff, it is now known, was a mere pretext, and disunion and a Southern Confederacy the real object. The next pretext will be the negro, or the slavery question." A good southern man by the name of then General and soon president Andrew Jackson.
    Yes, you're right. Secession had nothing to do with Lincoln or slavery


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

  10. #1200
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Why did you say, "New York was the main hub for slavery"? Were you trying to suggest that the north had more slaves than the south or something?
    Why are you expecting a rational response?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •