View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 116 of 270 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #1151
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,250

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    78% of all slaves in America were in the South. The north doesn't even begin to compare to the stench of slavery in the south. In the mid 1800s, the north was starting to industrialize and whites didn't want to compete with blacks for their jobs and that's why slavery never really took hold.

    If you continue to read about the war only through southern eyes its a guarantee that you'll almost always be wrong.
    I'm posting links from New York State acknowledging their slave history. I have freely acknowledged the role of slavery in the south. Perhaps you are the one with blinders on.

  2. #1152
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Atiya View Post
    Many white southerners realize the Confederate Flag is a symbol of racial hatred for African Americans and are unwilling to adjust their attitude. They like things to stay the same. Unfortunately, the world is changing all around us, so quickly, that same sex marriages are becoming routine. It's about time we did the same thing with racism in the southern states which fly the Confederate Flag by digging our way out of a morass of lies and ignorance.
    The South's public collective memory of slavery and the Civil War has been so distorted, embellished, glorified and revised for so long that the lies have become truth to them. A lot of the misinformation was taught to them in grade school history books written by southern revisionists and can be found on the confederate memorials and monuments all over the south....

    Why do people believe myths about the Confederacy? Because our textbooks and monuments are wrong. - The Washington Post

    How can you reason with someone who's lies are written in stone?

  3. #1153
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I'm posting links from New York State acknowledging their slave history. I have freely acknowledged the role of slavery in the south. Perhaps you are the one with blinders on.
    Were you hoping to use New York as justification for slavery in the South? Did New York pass slave laws to protect slavery like the South did?

  4. #1154
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,250

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Were you hoping to use New York as justification for slavery in the South? Did New York pass slave laws to protect slavery like the South did?
    Of course you can find somewhere...ANYWHERE...that I have attempted to 'justify' slavery anywhere. Right? Go ahead and post it...I'll wait.

  5. #1155
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,575

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Manufacturers stop making Confederate flags - Jun. 24, 2015


    The free market finally gets it....the CF doesn't represent freedom.
    ....no.... businesses get that if you do something that the Angry Facebook People don't like, they will do their best to make your life hell.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  6. #1156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,445

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The south became known for racism due to the actions of several groups towards blacks in the south as retaliation for their suffering during the reconstruction period. A lot of blame was placed upon the black population because they were an easy and vulnerable target. This of course, kept the southern racists vocal while the northern ones weren't. Not to mention that more black people live in the south, even TODAY, than in any other region in the US, and therefore, racial incidents were FAR more likely to occur between southern whites and blacks than northern whites and blacks.
    LOL, yes, due to the actions of several groups, such as the legislatures and Governors who passed and enforced Jim Crow laws, the cops who ignored lynchings of blacks, winked at or participated in vigilante justice, the election administrators who kept blacks off the voting rolls, therefore off juries, unable to even run for office, etc......

    It's soo unfair that my region gets tarred with being racists and white supremacists. We only oppressed blacks for 100 years after the Civil War.....

  7. #1157
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,446

    Re: Confederate Flag

    I know that your pathetic school system taught you that humans used to ride dinosaurs and the confederate flag means beer and hot wings, but you are responsible for how others may interpret what you say and do in a society.

    Your complete ignorance does not excuse you. Linguistically, the idea that only YOUR definition matters makes about as much sense as driving your car into a brick wall.

  8. #1158
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,445

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You keep going back to that illogical leap that says since there are overall 'other' considerations, it must therefore mean it is OK or that people are 'defending' slavery.
    The flag does not represent 'slavery'. You can make it MEAN slavery if you like, but that is not what it means to the vast majority of people that grew up with it as parts of our lives. IF the people of any state wish to choose to stop flying the flag at their state buildings then that should be the choice they make and they should do it for the right reasons and NOT because a bunch of race bating morons from DC have created this 'cause' to stir **** up with. WHen you look across the country at the problems black America faces and you come to the conclusion that what you REALLY need to get spun up over is a flag and a TV show...that speaks volumes about you.
    I agree with that, and the best reason in SC is the STATE itself rose that flag on top of their state house in defense of Jim Crow in 1961. State leaders adopted the battle flag of the Confederacy, whose VP said this, "Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition" to defend, 100 years later, second class status (aka "subordination to the superior race") for the same blacks that the Confederacy would keep in bondage.

    The flag just has a shameful history, whether you look at it from 1861 or 1961 when it went up on the SC capital.

  9. #1159
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,640

    Re: Confederate Flag

    while we all argue over a stupid flag.....

    How Transpacific Partnership treaty threatens NC economy, democracy | News & Observer News & Observer


    cronie corporatism marches on.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  10. #1160
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,849

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Should the Confederate Flag be removed/abolished?

    I say no. The argument is that it represents racism and slavery. That is stupid. So does the American Flag.
    Abolished, no. In a museum, yes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •