View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 111 of 270 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #1101
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,609

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by digitusmedius View Post
    So you're pretending you know everything that happened before that video was taken?


    You avoided my question.


    Who said "hugs"? Is the mere presence of the Northern Virginia battle flag all the justification needed for acts of violence being done to the person who dare possess it?


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  2. #1102
    Guru
    digitusmedius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,893

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You avoided my question.


    Who said "hugs"? Is the mere presence of the Northern Virginia battle flag all the justification needed for acts of violence being done to the person who dare possess it?
    Now who's avoiding questions? You claim all it took to deserve this beat down was possession of that stinking flag. So tell us how you know what went on before that video started or admit you're manufacturing victimhood status for bigots.

  3. #1103
    Guru
    digitusmedius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,893

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    wait, so ones business is not private property?
    Being licensed to do business in public means just that, doing business with the public which means adhering to non-discrimination laws. I'd suggest you wise up but I doubt that's possible.

  4. #1104
    Guru
    digitusmedius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,893

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    Yep you should learn to quit while you're behind.
    That's what the shrinks call "projection."

  5. #1105
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,609

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by digitusmedius View Post
    Now who's avoiding questions? You claim all it took to deserve this beat down was possession of that stinking flag. So tell us how you know what went on before that video started or admit you're manufacturing victimhood status for bigots.

    So you are saying that I am avoiding the question you asked to avoid my question so it's my bad for not answering your question you asked to avoid mine?


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  6. #1106
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,104

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Yes, many nations held slaves at one point in their history, not all of them did. Where did you get this information? Was it from one of those facebook meme's?

    Let me cut to the chase for you. I am not a liberal nor am I making the argument that you seem to be wanting to argue against.

    The reality is that the USA abolished slavery not the Confederates at any point in their short pathetic history. In fact the Confederates were willing to fight to keep slavery intake. Yes the USA has made some big mistakes but we are here now and the Confederates are not. There is no real reason to celebrate a bunch of assholes that wanted to take over portions of the USA to create a version of the US that aimed to keep slavery alive and to regress back to a failed model of government not much unlike the Articles of Confederation. Even if those assholes were my ancestors. Which they were.


    The confederate flag (all of them national or battle) can be flown on private property by any citizen for whatever reason that they want to fly it. Im good with that. But flying the flag on government property is an entire different ball game. The government has no right to fly whatever flag it wants to fly. We have a flag code.

    USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code
    Look how cute you are with your bitter feisty self.
    The US DID ban slavery...but not for decades after its formation. In 1827, 50 years after the Declaration of Independence and after being THE hub for slave sales for 200 years, New York finally ended slavery. New Hampshire...not til 1845. Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Jersey...all later (NJ not til 1865).

    As for slave history throughout the world...Come on dood...seriously? Is that your real response? It's just a meme?

  7. #1107
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,981

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    WOW are you ignorant of true Southern history. The slaves in the South were treated fairly well, considering their rank in society. Besides that only a minority of the wealthiest Southerners even owned slaves.
    It's a wonder they actually wanted to be free they were treated so good.
    Is what you're living for today, worth dying for tomorrow?
    _____________________________________________

  8. #1108
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,609

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by digitusmedius View Post
    Being licensed to do business in public means just that, doing business with the public which means adhering to non-discrimination laws. I'd suggest you wise up but I doubt that's possible.

    whats with you and avoiding questions? lol


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  9. #1109
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,880

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    NOt sure I follow you, I think bigots should be allowed to not sell gay wedding cakes so non-bigots like us know not to enchance those bigots quality of life with our money,
    But we have no idea who would or wouldn't sell to gay people/same sex couples/whoever unless they have to tell us.

    Take for example the Masterpiece Cakeshop incident. The baker admitted that prior to being reported by the couple, he had refused to serve several same sex couples (I think he was just talking about serving them wedding cakes, but I'm not sure on that fact). Now, many people will not buy anything from him, including opposite sex couples and wedding cakes, but only because they know about his refusal to sell to same sex couples.

    I actually don't have an issue with this policy, up to a point. There is a point where such a policy simply becomes to burdensome on those groups, because there is a shortage of people selling that particular product or a shortage of people who are willing to sell to everyone without picking and choosing who they will sell to.

    Now, that is why I found it interesting how many people who were anti-public accommodation laws applying to most/all businesses were against that bill/law proposed in some state to do just that, force people to identify their intent to refuse service to certain groups.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 07-08-15 at 09:29 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1110
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-03-15 @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11

    Re: Confederate Flag

    As far as the Confederate flag goes it is an interesting topic. I understand, on one hand, the people who claim they fly it because of their heritage. I believe this is a perfectly valid reason for an individual to fly whatever flag they would like. However, federal and state buildings and property should not be allowed to fly a flag that has such a history of racism that is tied to it. An interesting parallel is one between the Confederate Battle Flag and the Nazi flag with a Swastika on it. On the face this may seem like a totally outrageous claim, but bear with me for a second.

    The history of the swastika is actually very different from what modern society sees it as. A simple Google search of the history of the Swastika brings up many reliable sources that say that the swastika is a symbol that was used for thousands of years before Hitler ever adopted it. The word itself actually comes from the Sanskrit word svastika which means "good fortune." Even today the swastika is used in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism as a sacred symbol. However, Hitler and the Nazi's adopted this symbol and used it as a representation of their views. Now we view the Nazi flag, with the ancient symbol of good fortune a swastika on it, as a terrible symbol. If a person were to see someone with a Swastika flag flying in their front yard or painted on their car the next thought that would come to mind is that that person must be a white supremacist. Imagine the outrage that would come if a state had a Swastika flag flying on their capital grounds under the justification that they are proud of their heritage.

    The swastika has been hijacked from other people who used it as a symbol of good fortune for centuries before Hitler ever commandeered it for his own purposes, and yet we would never stand for it to be flown on any state or federal building/grounds. Yet we allow the Confederate flag, which regardless of its original meaning was adopted as a stand by segregationists during the Civil Rights movement. So even if the Confederate Battle flag originally had absolutely nothing to do with racism in it's original purpose, the fact still stands that some extremist groups have adopted it and made it a symbol for racism now and as such should not be flown on any state or federal property.
    Last edited by tsteck2010; 07-08-15 at 11:44 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •