View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 100 of 270 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #991
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,787

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Personally, I find it strange that the people who lost the war and were on the wrong side morally want to constantly remind people of it. It would be like Germans flying Nazi flags all the time.

    But I'm not black, southern, or a civil war veteran, so I don't really have any skin in the game on this one, and I don't really care that much.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #992
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,131

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Do you think she has a motive?
    I think she can't abide by the fact her beloved granpapa might have been telling her tall tales and embellishing his old man stories. She's young, so maybe there's hope. (although I've witnessed it for five years now...)

    At this point, when someone (as you've noticed) can't even admit a formal document like the Confederate Constitution contains the words "slave" or "slavery" - (as it does, numerous times, and calls for the permanent perpetuation of human bondage in the CSA)

    or (I swear she refuses to read them) look at the numerous States formal Declarations of Reasons for Secession, there is a denial so thick it's unlikely to get through.

    I don't think the motive is much more than naiveitivity and a deep, unquestioning love of her gpapa.

  3. #993
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,131

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You're just having a hell'uva time: what's your thesis?
    ?

    My thesis of that quote?

  4. #994
    Guru
    digitusmedius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    I think she can't abide by the fact her beloved granpapa might have been telling her tall tales and embellishing his old man stories. She's young, so maybe there's hope. (although I've witnessed it for five years now...)

    At this point, when someone (as you've noticed) can't even admit a formal document like the Confederate Constitution contains the words "slave" or "slavery" - (as it does, numerous times, and calls for the permanent perpetuation of human bondage in the CSA)

    or (I swear she refuses to read them) look at the numerous States formal Declarations of Reasons for Secession, there is a denial so thick it's unlikely to get through.

    I don't think the motive is much more than naiveitivity and a deep, unquestioning love of her gpapa.

    She is by no means unusual in the South and generally in this country. She's basically in line with all the standard white-supremacist historical revisionism and denial the permeates that part of our society.

  5. #995
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Why do you think it's cool?
    it's just a cool design...

    I'm generally partial to Naval flags/jacks/ensigns... but there are cool flags designs all over( and some very crappy boring designs as well)

  6. #996
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    ?

    My thesis of that quote?
    Not from the quote: you're trying out a thesis and using that quote as a source to make a point. What's your point (thesis)?
    You can dance without a lawyer

  7. #997
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    32

    Re: Confederate Flag

    No more reason for the Confederate flag to be abolished than for the American flag; however, I don't think it should be flown on state capitols. We took half of Mexico away from the Mexicans under the American flag so they could be just as offended by it. If we start abolishing everything that is offensive we will have to abolish the name of our Capital - Washington was a slave owner etc etc etc.

  8. #998
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    No I said that I dont believe you personally, because you are telling embellished rumors. In order to prove that what you are saying has any worth you would need direct evidence. As it stands you have zero actual proof that you grandpa even said any of the things that you claim. Or that he didnt lie to you.


    WHat is sad though is you trying to make it look I am just blindly following some mysterious source, while you assert your claims solely on a mysterious source ( your Grandpa) and a book that was written by white supremacists.
    You would be surprised what is also in the Daughters of the Confederacy magazines. They have actual writings and excerpts of journals from soldiers themselves. Unfortunately I gave all of my magazines away to a horse trainer friend of mine (I kept the one with my grandma's name in the "In Memoriam" section after she passed in 1998)
    Life is short, ride a horse

  9. #999
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by digitusmedius View Post
    She is by no means unusual in the South and generally in this country. She's basically in line with all the standard white-supremacist historical revisionism and denial the permeates that part of our society.
    Revisionist history my behind! That is what the ones who are trying to do away with the Confederate flag now want.
    Life is short, ride a horse

  10. #1000
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I don't look at that it that way. While it is a fun exercise in futility, it's also a good opportunity to brush up on Civil War era history with what appears to be a true Lost Causer. But I don't expect to change her mind because it's obviously way too late for that but it is interesting to see how she rationalizes history to fit her worldview. Judging by the amount of attention she's getting, other posters must think so, too.

    Anyway, she's a blast from the past, so lets party like it's 1899. lol
    LMAO you're pretty funny but the South is fighting back. I saw plenty of Confederate flags flying high in my neck of the woods. People are angry and showing it
    Life is short, ride a horse

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •